“Great diving, excellent dive centre setup, and really knowledgeable guys”
Review of Buccaneer Diving

Buccaneer Diving
Ranked #2 of 15 things to do in Paje
More attraction details
Owner description: PADI 5 Star IDC Centre : Scuba Diving in Zanzibar's South East Coast Buccaneer Diving Zanzibar is located in Paje on the wonderful South East coast of Zanzibar Island. Away from the overcrowded beaches of Kiwengwa, Nungwi, and Kendwa, Paje is renown for its stunning beaches, unspoilt village life, small sized guesthouses and lodges. The stretch reaching from kizimkazi (south point of island, famous for dolphin spotting) through jambiani, paje, bwejuu, dongwe to michamvi (which is situated on the eastern tip of chwaka bay), is often refered to as the secret coast of zanzibar, where the real identity of the island is still preserved and untouched from mass tourism. Nonetheless Paje and the neighbouring area offers a variety of bars, evening hangouts, restaurants and regular nightlife. The diving around Paje is pristine with some of the finest corals to be found in East Africa. The protected natural lagoon which is only ten minutes boat ride from the Buccaneer Diving base at the Arabian Nights hotel is a great choice for all levels of divers and accompagning snorkellers and it also means that we can offer a number of good safe and protected dives in the rougher monsoon and in general for beginners. The lagoon also is an ideal spot for nightdives. In addition we have a number of sites on the outer reef within a 25-minute fast boat ride of our base offering a wide variety of topography ranging from walls, gentle slopes to caves and exciting marine life, some also suitable for beginners and some of which accessible only to more expert divers ...and we are always looking for more! We also offer dives and snorkeling from our sister operation at the Swahili Beach Hotel in Kizimkazi in the South of the island. Kizimkazi is renowned for its dolphins and idyllic sand banks and a days diving followed by a seafood lunch is a must. In addition to our special kizimkazi trip, we also organise a day trip to the atoll of mnemba, located in a marine park that is a great location both diving and snorkelling. Watch out for other seasonal special trips.
Dublin, Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great diving, excellent dive centre setup, and really knowledgeable guys”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Thanks guy, I really enjoyed diving with you. I was amazed about the richness of fish life, even in the lagoon. Lots of sting rays, scorpion fish galore, lion fish, even all those obscure leaf fish that Waziri keeps finding. Then when you get to the outter reef, it's like a aquarium out there. Really fantastic.
Waziri and Arnold, you guys really know you're stuff, and it's great that you're pointing out stuff so actively - I don't know how you spot some of this stuff, you've really got eagle eyes! The dive centre is great too - really feels professional with a big equipment selection, and lots of space for washing kit and drying it. Not to mention it's nice you have a proper dive boat. While some people like the attraction of diving in an old dhow with an old rusting motor, but I prefer the modern dive boat with two big high powered motors, because nothing sucks worse than being stranded in the ocean because the one old engine has clunked it. So, I'm happy that's not a concern.
I'll be visiting Zanzibar again at the end of the year, so I'll drop by for more diving. Thanks guys!a

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Peter T
spindrifterMombasa, Owner at Buccaneer Diving, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Thank you for your great review - we are delighted you had a good time diving with us.

The later part of the year is often the best time to dive in Zanzibar, and we look forward to diving with you again then. We have started a weekly marine life training program for our Instructors and Guides, so hopefully they will be able to show you even more stuff out on the reef....

• Czech first
Stockholm, Sweden
190 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Nice dives in the end of rainy season”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We where lucky so the vis. was great for the day, did 2 dives around 120-125$ with equipment. The dives was really nice, lots of corals and smaller fish.

Professional dive center with good gear, the boat was good and with backroll entry. The sea can be a bit ruff.

Visited June 2014
Kampala, Uganda
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Professional Diving in Paje”
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Bucaneer Diving in Paje is a professional dive centre with friendly staff. I did four dives with them in March, including a refreshers course in the pool, as my previous dives were back many years. Equipment was good (Scubapro), everything worked and the wetsuits were brandnew!

Our instructor and guide Polar was a very good diver with a professional, yet warm and personal attitude. The first day we went to their home-lagoon (Jambiani) which included one challenging dive, on the outer reef (moderate drift). The second day we went to the north (Mnemba) which was great, the colours of the water were different (light blue) and the reef was more busy and healthier somehow. I really recommend going to the north.

The latter is also the only negative point, besides rather high prices (93 Euros for 2 dives, although they gave me a off-season discount), that I can report about Bucaneer: the location. Paje is not a hotspot for diving and the northern spots are 90min car drive away.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Nathan L
Boras, Sweden
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Best diving on zanzibar! ”
Reviewed 30 January 2014 via mobile

This is the best and most professional dove center on zanzibar, I arranged everything via email in advance. This is a good idé because they are quite busy.

Toronto, Canada
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Great Customer Service, Ill Fitting Equipment”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

The staff was very helpful at Buccaneer. I was in contact with them via email to arrange dives and they were very friendly and prompt in their replies. They were also friendly and helpful in answering my questions when I arrived in person. My main issue was that much of my equipment was ill fitting and my weight belt was way overweight (had gone diving the day before but we did not confirm that both days used the same type of tanks...they did not). So my first dive was fraught with equipment challenges, some of which, with a little more time and attention, could have been sorted about beforehand. Nevertheless, the team was mostly friendly and helpful.

Visited December 2013