We started our trip here at HM Lodge, and were initialy feeling insecure about whether the driver would collect us. The phone number they had given us to confirm the time for our collection was incorrect, and we had to search our papers and talk to the locals who finally made the call for us
There was a rather incompetent short little Italian woman behind the desk who didn't seem to know anything about anything and I found her to be hopeless and annoying. WHY be employed there if you have no clue about the hotel? For example, I was looking at the activities that the hotel could arrange, and there was an impressive list of things to do. I asked her about some of them - and her answer was, 'I don't know. That was before my time. Someone else wrote that.'
When we first arrived, we told the guest relations person that we wanted to arrange fishing too. He promised to look into that. But, when we asked the reception about any developments of this request later on that evening, they had no clue what we were talking about. Seems he had gone home. Every day we asked about the fishing trip, and nothing happened. Finally, on the 4th day, a new guy finally arranged something - but we didn't know it was organised. No one told us anything. We went back to the reception on our last night and asked again, and that's when they told us we had a fishing trip booked the next day. It only took 4 days to organise!
Communication was all around VERY bad. It is management all together that's doing this place in. The MD sits like a king around the place...being served meals and sitting at the bar for nightly drinks. The staff themselves were friendly and helpful, and the site is quite striking. The natural beauty of Zanzibar saved this place.
The only other thing I would say is that I was surprised that the MD and owner were Italian - but the coffee SUCKED! We walked down the beach about 20 minutes to find another Italian owned resort - and they had FANTASTIC coffee from the espresso machine.
Don't go for the coffee Go for the quiet and it's best if you have a DO NOTHING attitude.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dotted between the palm trees of Zanzibar's South East Coast, along an unfurling swathe of postcard-perfect coastline, sits Hakuna Majiwe, the Place of No Stones, a site so idyllic that we named our hotel after it. The 21 luxury cabanas of Hakuna Majiwe Lodge are spread out along this quiet, palm-fringed beach, each leading straight out onto the hourglass-fine sands and jade waters of the Indian Ocean. The cabanas pay homage to our host culture, mixing thatched roofs and wooden floors with the intricate ornamental vidaka plasterwork of the Swahili Coast to create a space that is both shamba chic and authentic in style. Walk-in dressing areas, artisan four-poster beds and generous bathrooms ensure that style is complemented by the comforts expected on your holiday. Be it a private honeymoon retreat or hosting your family in our dedicated 5 bed suites, comfort and privacy are always guaranteed. And at the heart of the tropical splendour of our spacious grounds sits the Tradewinds Restaurant, from where our hard-earned reputation for can-do hospitality has been forged. An evolving menu of Swahili-Zanzibari cuisine using locally-sourced ingredients is freshly prepared with International flair each and every day, paired with carefully-selected wines and juices, to create lasting culinary experiences, worthy of your visit. Private dining, with butler service, is always available for those seeking intimate memories to dine for. Jungle Spa and landscaping our expansive, palm-lined pool sheltered in the abundant tropical splendour of the Hakuna Majiwe estate. With a kite school for the more intrepid guests and an excursion centre for the more curious wishing to explore the island, there is always something to do if the relaxation becomes too much. Our home is where our heart is, though, and Life is Always A Beach at Hakuna Majiwe. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Agoda, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hakuna Majiwe Beach Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ora Resort Hakuna Majiwe Hotel Paje
- Hakuna Majiwe Hotel
- Hakuna Majiwe Paje
- Hakuna Majiwe Beach Lodge Zanzibar Island/Paje