“Excellent service!”

Ranked #18 of 33 Hotels in Dumaguete City
Bangkok, Thailand
“Excellent service!”
Reviewed 12 January 2014

We (2x Families= 10pax) stayed here recently from 26Dec. 2013- 02Jan. 2014. Service is excellent from all the staff, very warm & friendly! We have stayed a number of times in Amorita Resort, Bohol and tried this resort as Amorita was full. Honestly, I was expecting the same standard of accommodation and facilities as Amorita but was a bit disappointed... I believe that they just had their soft-launch a few months back so Resort is still undergoing renovations. What made the difference was as I mentioned, the extraordinary service of all the staff from reception, bar & restaurant, kitchen & housekeeping. They really went out of their way to make our stay as enjoyable & comfortable! Special mention re: food is also very fresh and delicious! This things more than made-up for what was lacking in other areas! :)

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Chipolata99
MACguerrero14, Resort Manager at Sta. Monica Beach Club, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with Sta Monica Beach Club Banilad, Dumaguete City. It was a pleasure being of service to you and your family. Thank you for commending the extraordinary service that our associates have portrayed. It is to my regret that we have not reached the level of excellence at par with our sister property when it came to our rooms and facilities. We are still undergoing an upgrade and soft launch but rest assured that upon your return there will be a whole lot of improvements and the same team that welcomed you with great smiles will be here.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Manila
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I stayed at Sta. Monica Beach Club for three days this April 2013. The resort was still on soft opening then (I don't know if they have fully opened now). The rooms were newly renovated and really nice - spacious, decorated mostly in whites and beiges in a "minimalist beachy" way, relaxing but not boring way. There were some issues with water in the bathroom at the beginning, but it was resolved quickly enough.

The staff are friendly, but sometimes answers don't come quickly enough, though things do get cleared up in the end. They were able to help us arrange for trips out of Dumaguete City proper to reach some of the smaller islands. Staff need a little more training to up their professionalism. There were no major issues with the service though, and I expect things to improve once the resort is fully opened. Rates were still discounted because they were still on soft opening.

The resort is a few minutes away from the city proper, which is good if you just want to relax in your room or at the pool. To get access to the many restaurants which the city proper has to offer, you'll need some transportation, which the staff should be able to assist you with.

Overall it's a good place to stay. The issues we encountered, all minor, are probably due to the soft opening status when we stayed. The owners, I believe, are veteran hoteliers, and so I expect things to improve. I would definitely return to this place.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank bingky
Carissa V, Manager at Sta. Monica Beach Club, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Dear Bingky,
Thank you for recounting your stay at Sta. Monica Beach Club! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay despite some of the inconveniences due to our soft opening. Should you have additional suggestions for us to improve our service, kindly contact us through your respective reservations officer or via our contact form on our website. We look forward to having you stay with us again soon!

Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Stayed Nov 15-17, 2013

Location:

This is one of the few resorts that is near the city proper, about 15 minutes ride, so it is quite accessible.

Rooms:

We stayed in their Deluxe Room and it is spacious enough. The rooms are okay for me except for some improvements. Below are my observations:

>Pros:
Spacious and clean with own porch where room occupants can lounge before retiring from a long day of touring. I like that the room is mainly painted white with a few accents so that it’s relaxing. The beds are hotel-industry standard and I had a good night sleep during our stay there. The TV and cable service is fairly good, with LCD TV used in our rooms and cable is reliable and has good reception.

Bathroom space is also good, with good water pressure and Hot/Cold option is working properly. I also like the lemongrass shampoo and conditioner provided in their individual dispensers. This is an earth-friendly move that I commend the resort for. I also like that they provide for hair dryers inside the room.

>Cons:
The resort is quite big but the rooms have no intercom service so if you need something, either you wait for a staff to pass by your room to give your request or you go all the way to their front office which was quite far from our rooms. This is okay if the weather is good but of course, will be a problem if it rains during your stay there. Electric outlets provided are enough I think.

Another is the absence of covered cabinets. What they provide for is a big open cabinet with hanger racks. I feel that they should improve this because it’s not nice to have your clothes hanging and be seen by others who come inside the room. Also, they should consider changing the desk lamps inside the room with something smaller as the bedside table cannot be used properly due to the oversized lamps placed on it.

The beds’ orientation should be changed in such a way that the bathroom door does not open directly to any of the beds. Also, they should consider providing exhaust fans inside the bathroom.

Facilities:

Should provide for free airport transfers. As it is, we were given a quote by their Manila head office of P500.00/pax for a one way transfer which I think is quite absurd. Of course, we didn't take it as we got a better rate outside.

They have a pool that is big enough for my standards. You should try the jacuzzi as this I failed to try.

They have two dining areas within the resort but I think the one nearest the pool is the only one being used for ala carte orders. This is where we ate our breakfast during our stay. The other dining area is mainly for bigger functions which I am not sure if they cater to as of now.

Also, if you expect long sunset walks along the beach, this is not the resort for you, since they don’t have a nice beachfront. Yes, they are facing the beach, but that’s basically it.

Food:

We have only tasted their breakfast menu so I can’t really judge for the overall flavor of the hotel. One of the hotel staff informed me when we arrived that they have dinner buffet at Php 450.00/pax but we weren’t able to try this as we dined out every time. I can say that I have enjoyed my breakfast with them, though. They have a good breakfast selection. I like their pancakes, ham, tocino and their lemongrass juice.

Staff:

I think that they are one of the main points of the resort. The staff are very courteous and friendly, quick to assist in any way they can. From the time we arrived at their resort until our check-out time, everyone was very helpful and courteous. Two thumbs up for them! 

Room rates:

This is one of the things that I think they should improve on also. The rates are a bit high and room policies are not too flexible.

Overall, our stay there was okay. I will recommend the resort for those who go to Dumaguete for relaxation and will stay in the resort mostly. However, I cannot recommend this for those who will be touring most of the time and use this mainly as their sleeping quarters. The prices are too high for that. In short, they are not for those who travel on a budget.

P.S. Improve on the resort signage, at the corner from the main highway and in front of the resort too.

Room Tip: If staying, ask for the rooms near the pool to have easier access
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank jejebo
Carissa V, Manager at Sta. Monica Beach Club, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear jejebo,
Thank you for taking the time to share your vacation experience at Sta. Monica Beach Club, and for giving constructive feedback. We welcome guests' input that will help improve our service. On your next visit to Dumaguete, we hope that you will consider staying with us again.

Subic Bay Freeport Zone, Philippines
Reviewed 7 December 2013

It was the first time my wife and I were able to travel to Dumaguete and although we did not make the most out of the place by trying out the ridiculously wide array of things to do in the small seaport locality, we made up for it by lapping up every minute of relaxation from this quaint little resort oozing with potential.

What first struck my wife and I was the superb service provided by the warm staff. For one thing, my wife and I travel fairly often but apart from the usual small talk, we rarely get any unprovoked conversations out of the airport transfer personnel. Not so with Sta. Monica. From the airport we were greeted not only by a driver but a guest relations officer who welcomed us warmly, tactfully filled in silences in the vehicle with interesting factoids about various landmarks along the way and answered questions about Dumaguete in general. Once we were at the resort, I noticed that the staff were warm and attentive but, pleasantly, not too in your face by hovering around you all the time. And in the background, housekeeping staff worked like clockwork - we'd leave the room for breakfast and come back to it all tidy; we'd leave for dinner and by the time we returned, turndown service was complete. And all this while the staff treated us in a manner inherent in a resort found in a town lovingly called "the city of gentle people" - always calm, always with a smile and somehow, always with a hint of sweetness.

The property itself is quite promising. My wife used to work in the hospitality industry, while tourism is part of my job, and so we'd have fairly lengthy conversations while in Sta. Monica as to how much potential the property has. On one end are the newly-furbished rooms of varying types featuring premium amenities such as organic soaps and conditioning shampoos, flat screen TVs and beds of the kind you can only find in the most expensive resorts in the Philippines. At the centre is a kidney-shaped pool with a connecting lounge pool fed by a classic fountain, all serviced by a nice little pool-side bar/resto that serves great food (Sidenote: Try the crispy chicken curry). While on the other end is a well-maintained garden with a few small gazebos and bordered by a picturesque seawall that allows residents from nearby localities to cross (Sidenote: I find it ridiculous to feel awkward that residents are allowed some right of way thru the property. Boracay is one of the most premiere locations in the world lauded by millions of foreigners from dozens of countries - guess what? Each and every resort along the beach allow access to passers-by. What would be the difference in the case of Dumaguete). All of these properties feed into the picturesque view of nearby Siquijor and waters of the straight in between. And if these weren't enough, I was able to squeeze out of the friendly staff the plans to build a premium spa, upgrade the nipa hut cottages turned-over from former management and to add all sorts of support facilities to the site.

Sta. Monica is a resort to look out for, as much as Dumaguete is a tourist destination which, to my mind, can stand alongside the known destinations of the country. While there, soaking in the view, the food, the service, the accommodations and amenities, my wife and I were already talking about coming back to Dumaguete, this time with friends, so that we could try out the multifarious activities ranging from whale/dolphin watching to spelunking, from food trips to historical tours, from diving to quick detours to mystical Siquijor. And then after the long days of touring, soaking in the many things Dumaguete has to offer, to go home to the relaxing and laid-back refuge that is Sta. Monica.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Moe_Villamor
Carissa V, Manager at Sta. Monica Beach Club, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Dear Moe_Villamor,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Trip Advisor community. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Your encouraging words and feedback have made us smile. It would be a pleasure to see you and your wife again soon!

London
Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

My wife and I wanted to stay at a beach front location close to Dumaguete City and discovered the Sta Monica Resort on TA with the good reviews.
We checked in on the 1st day of a long weekend in the Philippines and were the only guests..!?
We noticed that the pool water was so dirty it looked milky.
Within half an hour several people were out with brooms and rakes tidying up the garden and path ways, which was strewn with debris.
We spent the rest of the day sunbathing, which couldn't be enjoyed next to a milky pool.
There were no cushions available for the sun loungers or the dining chairs and no umbrellas available to shield us from the scorching sun..!?

What is the point of having a beach front resort without offering basic standards like a well maintained pool and gardens..?
To the owners of this resort, for your information, the very basic minimum standard of expectation for a beach resort is cleanliness, tidiness, comfort on cushions and umbrellas...Basics..!

We were charged about US$160 per night for this appalling situation which we found totally unacceptable, so much so that the following day we cancelled the remainder of our reservation and checked out..!

I should further inform travellers that there is a village located on the other side of the boundary wall. The residents of this village seem to have their access via the sea wall directly in front of the resort.
Now, if you don't mind all the locals gawping at you and bikini clad spouse sunbathing, go for it..!

Furthermore, you should know that said villagers also enjoy keeping at least a dozen roosters (cock fighting) in close proximity to the resort bedrooms..!
Again, if you don't mind being woken up at sunrise (5am) on your holidays by the sounds of a dozen roosters, go for it.

Some people enjoy this sort of thing, definitely not our idea of a relaxing holiday.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JoeOutAndAbout

Travellers are raving about these Dumaguete City hotels

Aberdeen
Reviewed 6 November 2013

We arrived the day of the Bohol earthquake so it was always going to be an "interesting" stay! We were the only people staying for the first 2 nights and it was a bit nerve wracking experiencing the aftershocks, particularly at night. There was no 24 hour reception (just a security guard) and no wifi. Once we were reassured by friends at home via SMS that we were not at risk of tsunami we relaxed a bit!

The good: apartments have been newly decorated although some things could be improved (gaps under doors, old doors painted with a thin coat of white paint) but overall they are comfortable. The pool is a good size but could be cleaner. Staff very nice and friendly. Nice homemade treats delivered every evening and free bottled water.

To improve: many of the dishes on the menu were not available - but not indicated on there so we would choose and then be told they didn't have it. Food took a long time to come at lunch and dinner and many dishes were 'average' quality, although not expensive for a hotel. Need to ask for pool towels even though plenty of staff around and can see you are in the pool! Table football missing the ball - no attempt to get us a new one even though the children showed interest in playing. Shuttle bus to Dumaguete on request but finishes at 5pm although the driver kindly agreed to pick us up at 6.30pm and then proceeded to be 15 minutes late (not what you want standing on a street with 3 children under 5 years!). The wifi was down as a result of the earthquake, however I feel it took longer than necessary to get it back (3 days) when the restaurants in town were up and running the next day.

The resort is in the middle of nowhere and the beaches are not attractive here (black sand). I felt the price was high for what you get. It was a good place to while away a few days while we visited friends nearby but for a holiday I would not return to Dumaguete - we much preferred Siquijor!.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank SJ1975
Akureyri, Iceland
Reviewed 23 August 2013

This a wonderful property that consistently exceeds expectations. The hotel staff is amazing and does a wonderful job. Hotel reception and staff are the best. Anyway, the hotel is beautiful and the service is top notch.

The rooms : Very comfortable and well appointed (Housekeeping staff kept the room spotless)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Icedagur
Carissa V, Manager at Sta. Monica Beach Club, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
Dear Icedagur,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your visit to Dumaguete City. We are very happy that you enjoyed the hotel amenities and services. Please feel free to send me an email at carissa.amorita@gmail.com should you have any suggestions or feedback about your experience. Sincerely, Carissa