“good views but not much else”
Review of Ella Tea Garden

Ella Tea Garden
Ranked #113 of 163 Ella B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 April 2013

Probably was nice when originally built but now needs totally renovating. Bathroom needed a thorough deep clean to say the least, and the bedroom windows didn't even close properly. Mosquito net had a couple of cigarette burn holes in it too. No fan, but luckily the weather wasn't too hot. The best I can see is that the staff were friendly and helpful, but the place obviously isn't managed properly. The hotel is up a very long flight of steps so is not easily accessible for everyone. No tv or safe in room and the wi-fi only works a few feet away from the router in the dining area. Large balcony outside our room with seating area and fantastic view (when it's not raining), but really the view doesn't offset all the other negatives.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Ella Tea Garden

Reviewed 17 April 2013 via mobile

This hotel has a great position but is very tierd. Our shower was pathetic and loo had problems. The staff are friendly enough snd the breakfast was ok. However I'm sure there are better places to stay in Ella. PS rice and curry next door at Rawanna Resort is a must.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 14 April 2013

Just a short walk from the main street in Ella, and up a long flight of steps (not a lot of fun after a long journey and with a heavy backpack!). The rooms are ok for the price, bathroom a bit dark and grotty. The main advantage this guesthouse has is the large balconies with great views, where you can relax with a drink. The breakfast was fine, but I didn't eat here in the evening as the restaurant was rather lacking in atmosphere.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 March 2013

This was the only disappointing hotel I stayed in, in Sri Lanka. When we booked everything else was gone, as Ella's hotels are small and quickly fill up. Book early if you want something nice. Staff were average, views were truly stunning, but not enough to make up for our room. We had a family room above the kitchen, it was a disaster. The room would have been okay, but ... The bathroom looked like it hadn't been cleaned since installation, and was a graveyard for dead mosquitoes (as well as lots of live relatives). There wasn't even a bar of soap to wash your hands or anywhere to even hang a towel. We didn't shower for our luckily short two night stay.The room had an opening in the roof to the outside, which meant mosquitoes came in all night, and we were only provided with one net for 2 beds. The second night after the staff couldn't come up with a solution, I just pushed the beds together under the one net, which worked out ok. But the first my husband was the hero, I slept with our son under the net, and my husband got bitten all night long. Where ever you book in Ella make sure there are mosquito nets, they are essential. We booked on booking.com which was a mistake as I think there price was 2-3 times what we should have paid if our tour company had organised it.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 March 2013

Moderately priced with fantastic views. One of the nicer places I stayed in. The rooms themselves are average and the bathrooms a bit grungy but sitting on the verandah or in the garden with a drink in hand at sunset was perfect. The restaurant was a bit empty and the food mediocre. Advise eating in town. Probably better for backpacker types rather than posh hotels types

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Karen B
Reviewed 23 February 2013

My partner and I have just spent 2 nights at the Tea Garden. We stayed in one of the rooms lower down from the restaurant with an amazing view of Ella Rock. Our room was comfortable and big with a lovely balcony area. The rooms are basic but good value for money. The shower worked fine, and the room was clean. The outside light was at first not working, however we let the manager know and it was changed without any problems. All of the staff were very accommodating, especially at breakfast. We had a lovely breakfast both mornings; the poached eggs were done to perfection! The manager couldn’t help us enough with our questions about Ella. The resident little sausage dog was also very charming! I would defiantly recommend a visit to the Tea Garden holiday inn!

Room Tip: All the rooms are good, but if you want to be away from the hotel and restaurant area choose the 2 r...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 February 2013

I booked this place and later I found out many negative ratings. But the reality was better,than I expected. Nice (or better : excellent) views of the nature,hills and waterfalls. Rooms are simple,bathroom quite worn out. When we came, I have checked if the hot water was working,but next morning was cold again.We asked the manager to fix it, he switched in some socket and ever since the hot water supply worked without problems. Main pain = no wardrobe in a room. We were family of 3, so finally you have all things over the bed,in a luggage...and definitely in a big mess.
Breakfasts were very good, lots of fruits,relatively good coffee (measured by Sri Lankan standards). They are very helpfull, bringing new toasts and fruit.
WiFi signal in the room poor, but I did not troubled - we have bought Dialog SIM card
(cca USD 10.-)after arrival at the airport = with 1GB free internet data,many SMS and free calls-it will give you real freedom and chance to be online almost EVERYWHERE in Sri Lanka. After 9 days I still had almost 80% of the data available.

Room Tip: Room nr. 07 has the best view of waterfalls and nature( for 2 pers. and extra bed possible), underne...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family