“Best view of any hotel/guesthouse in the whole of Sri Lanka”
Review of Hotel Laura

Hotel Laura
Ranked #13 of 169 Ella B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I arrived to hotel laura pretty late after getting the train from Kandy. A short tuk tuk ride up the mountain led me straight to the hotel and some very friendly, welcoming staff who offered some refreshing tea. I didn't see the view as it was night time but when I woke up, wow, what a view! Definitely my favourite view out of all the places I stayed. I even wanted to do a few walks and tours of the area but once I saw the view I was content with sitting on the veranda, reading books and relaxing for the day!

Dinner in the evening was amazing. So many tasty dishes cooked, you can't eat it all even if you wanted to! The room itself was amazing, had a huge bed that was probably a bit too big for just myself. Was all super clean and the bathroom had a lovely rain shower.

There were building works going on in the surrounding area but I gather this is happening all over sri lanka so you shouldn't let it get to you. The view makes you forget anything else anyway. Stay here, but make sure you get one of the newer rooms with the view... you really won't regret it.

Room Tip: Try to get one of the two newer rooms that have views straight over Ella gap and Ravana falls
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Leone_eee

Reviewed 30 March 2014

We had a great 2 nights here. The view is stunning, we arrived in the early evening about an hour before it got dark and just sat looking out over Ella gap enjoying our welcome tea and drinking in the view. Simply amazing to wake up to. The hotel is about a 5 minute tuk-tuk journey from the station, we squeezed four of us in and our bags which meant that the last 25 metres steep bit up to the hotel was interesting to say the least!

Like everywhere in Ella they are doing some building work to add more rooms, this didn't affect our stay though and we enjoyed seeing the builders' progress while we were there. The hotel is perfectly placed to walk into the centre of town in about 10 minutes at most and also easy to get onto the railway tracks for the walk to either Ella Rock (brilliant) or Little Adam's Peak.

The food was fantastic, we couldn't believe the amount of different dishes that came out to us, all delicious. It would be great if they ran a cooking course of their own as we had to go to somewhere in town to do one.

One thing to note is that it is worth trying to get one of the two better rooms. They open right onto the view so you wake up to something incredible. They are also just a much higher standard of room than the one in the house, we stayed a night in each and there wasn't really any comparison, definitely worth spending $50 on the more expensive room! Overall a great place to be though, we'd love to come back!

Room Tip: Go for the better rooms
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 March 2014

The rooms are perfect, the bathroom is great. We had the best shower during our whole trip.
The view is beautiful!
When we arrived we just climbed adam's peak and the friendly female owner gave us a massage, so that we could walk again the next day.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dieuwertje
Reviewed 2 March 2014

While the top rated 2 rooms were already booked out, luckily I got the chance to sleep in a room in the main house.

negative:
The design and arrangement is less beautiful but what really was annoying half of the duckboard was missing. That's a fact that is absolutely not acceptable...besides you're in Sri Lanka....

positive:
Still the view from Hotel laura is breathtakin'

Room Tip: take one of the lowe two rooms
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 3nts late feb. Suranga & his parents are just the perfect hosts. Very nice comfy rooms with black slate floor tiles & very comfy beds. Easy walk into Ella but the best point of hotel Laura are the family. Lolita (mum) is just the best host. She cooked for us on a few occasions, amazing breakfast & one of the nights she invited to cook Sri Lankan food with her in her kitchen. Cooking over a wood fire with Lolita was an experience in itself. Can't recommend these guys enough. A must be on your Ella itinerary. Thanks to everyone at 'Laura' for one of our best stays in Sri Lanka

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paxosconcierge
Reviewed 23 February 2014

When I came here for a vacation all the way from Australia, I had the chance to stay here for 2 good days. The first thing I noticed was the awesome view I had in my room. It was magnificent. I could see Ella Rock and the Adams Peak right from my room. Everything in the room is just top of the class. A king size bed, Modern and very clean bathroom and I got to mention that the food is just phenomenal. Both local and other dishes are available. The place is just 5 minutes walk from the town.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tharumadu
Reviewed 23 February 2014

This was one of our favourites during 5 weeks in Sri Lanka.There are two newly built large luxury rooms with their own private verandah with wonderful views. Massive top quality bed. Excellent en-suite. There are also two older and smaller rooms available up at the main house, where the owners live, these are cheaper but we opted to pay the extra for the new rooms. Wifi available at the upper level by the house, where you can also take your meals and chat to the other guests on a nice colonial-style verandah.
Good breakfast, excellent evening meals at very good price. Really nice hosts. Didn't even get charged for the pots of tea in the afternoon, unlike everywhere else we stayed.
Short walk into town, easy access to Little Adam's Peak and Ella Rock. You are quite near the railway line, but elevated above it, the trains are not visible due to trees.
Great choice for a relaxing few days at Ella.

Room Tip: Get one of the 2 newer rooms if budget is not your main consideration.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple