“Great food, welcoming staff.”

Les Terrasses de la Bastide
Ranked #7 of 51 Restaurants in Forcalquier
Price range: US$29 - US$44
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 22 November 2012

A little tricky to find, this restaurant is a hidden gem on a route out of Forcalquier going towards Banon. Luckily, my uncle knew where he was taking us as he comes here once a week, but this review has nothing to do with this fact. Having been in Provence for 3 weeks, this was the first time I’d tried it.
You are greeted by a jovial chef at the entrance, from his kitchen window. The chef is the owner and makes sure he has an eye on the happenings of his restaurant. We were assigned seats on the terrace, undernesath the pergola, overlooking the laurel bushes and olive trees. Splendid!
The staff is well informed as far as the specials go and are great at the wine suggestion as well. They are also very professional, courteous and smiling. The table d’hôte menu is quite short, but this is a good thing as you can bet on the quality of ingredients used. The plates are fresh, colorful and did I say appetizing? Despite the shortness of the table d’hôte menu, their basic menu has a more extended selection of Provencal specialties (Sisteron Lamb, Boeuf en Daube, Banon Goat Cheese, Pieds et Paquets, etc..) and prices of menu combos are very reasonable. I’ve tried far worse restaurants in Provence for much more money.
By all means, this is not a pretentious establishment; the décor is a little bland considering the artistic plates they serve. Sorry, it doesn’t fall into the “compensation” category, but the taste will sure make up for it. The food is honest and tasty without breaking out the fanfare. Simplicity and modesty are developed here. It is, above all, a neighborhood restaurant catering to a lot of people. They seem to get things right and for this, I highly recommend it.

Reviewed 20 September 2012

easy to find if you know where it is. No problem with gps and well signposted. You just have to enter the domain and drive to the far end of the complex. Easy parking. Although it is not located in a tipical village once you enter the atmosphere is Provencal. There is a large terrace and dining outside is a pleasure. The menu is limited but there is enough choice and the cuisine is rewarding

Reviewed 21 July 2012

My husband and I had dinner at Les Terrasses during our stay at the French Provence. The food and service were great, however the place is very hard to find!
We went around and around with our GPS for at least 30 minutes before finding the restaurant when we had given up and were trying to find our way back! There aren't a lot of signs on the road and no real street address to enter on the GPS.
With that being said, once we found the place we really loved it! The champagne came chilly to our table, the food was simple but really well prepared, the staff was very very nice.
Now that I know the way there I would not hesitate to come back!

1  Thank PLavaud
Reviewed 5 June 2012

Best duck confit in France. And believe me, I ate the duck confit in a lot of places!

Reviewed 31 October 2011

Located a bit outside of Forcalquier. (Take the road to Banon, then turn right at the sign, drive past the hotel until you see a parking lot). After trying half of the restaurants of Forcalquier, including “Le Neuf” which tends to compete with this one among the Trip Advisor community, I would definitely recommend “Les Terrasses” as the best option in town.
Food is simple, do not expect high gastronomy. However, it is well made, sincere, fresh, with an effort on presentation. From our experience, starters were nice, roasted boar as the dish of the day was OKish, lamb was excellent. Desserts are good and homemade, which unfortunately becomes rare in France below a certain level of price. Wine card includes a couple of nice bottles. Service is quick, professional, smiling and unpretentious. Prices are soft. End of the dinner the other day, when considering the bill and the good time we had, it was obvious that this place is offering a great value.

2  Thank eh_tonnant_voyageur