“Excellent choice!!”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Lagnes
San Juan Capistrano, California
“Excellent choice!!”
Reviewed 11 July 2013

I just returned from a 3 week trip to France and I truly have to say that the 4 nights my sister in law and I spent at Julien and Carole's home were the highlight of the trip for me. I cannot say enough about the beautiful atmosphere that is the setting for this French farm house. It is located in a quiet rural area, right off of a small road giving easy access to a number of charming towns close by. The small town of L'Isle Sur la Sorgue is only 10 minutes away and is a very pleasant place for a meal or a stroll along the river. The Sunday market there, which is well known, is worth a visit....just be sure to get there early as it gets very crowded by 1030AM. For our stay we were in the room "Cigale" which was large, clean, comfortable and quiet. The bathroom was enormous and we had a small refrigerator in the room which was a nice extra. As expressed in many other reviews, the meals here are excellent. The large breakfast is served buffet style with home-made jams (at least 10 different types), croissants, pain du chocolate, coffee, fresh juices, sliced meats and cheeses, cereal, yogurt, fresh fruit, crepes, hard boiled eggs and more. There is no way you go away anything but stuffed! The dinner we experienced was excellent and it was so much fun spending a few leisurely hours over dinner getting to know our fellow travelers from all over the world. Julien accommodated my red meat free diet without hesitation. You will not have a better dining experience anywhere else. It is evident that Julien uses only the freshest ingredients and all the courses from the starter dish to the dessert are superb! The fact that the dinner is served family style at a large, beautifully set table, gives you the opportunity to interact with your fellow travelers in a unique way. So much can be learned about the area by talking to the other guests and learning from their experiences. It was so nice to have the beautiful grounds of this house for a relaxing place to sit and read, access the internet, or sit and talk after breakfast or upon your return to the house after a day of sightseeing. The pool area is very pleasant and inviting, as is the lovely courtyard-style outdoor patio area off the dining room. Julien and his wife Carole are wonderful hosts and I do plan on returning to their amazing home one day soon.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
souslolivier, Propriétaire at Sous L'olivier, responded to this review, 14 July 2013
Thanks a lot for your comment and take time for us
Meeting people around a good dinner is the B&B experience for us it's why to do dinner each night ( just few nights off)
The cats still ok :))

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 6 July 2013

We stayed at Sous L'olivier for 5 days at the end of June and loved every second. We stayed in room Cigale with our 8 month old and it was perfect - they had a pack n' play all ready for us and it was helpful for us with the baby food to have the mini-fridge and microwave in room as well. The bathroom was a nice size with double sinks and very clean.

There are really so many good points about Sous L'olivier - but definitely the first, as other reviewers have noted, are the dinners by Julien. He made us fabulous food - really beautiful meals - and it was such a treat to enjoy them with the other guests. We had a pork roast, stuffed veggies and an amazing lemon chicken dish for our main dishes on each of the three times we ate dinner. In writing that, my food descriptions might not be doing the meals justice - everything was perfectly done and delicious, and his starter salads with fresh produce were outstanding. The desserts included a fresh cherry pie and a pudding that was Julien's grandmother's recipe. We were totally spoiled and my husband ate an embarrassing amount of food, much to Julien's amusement. ;) But beyond that, we loved the good company. We'd put our baby to bed and come down to enjoy the aperitif and talk to the other guests, who were all so pleasant. We met people from the US, Australia, Russia, Columbia, Great Britain, Mauritius and Curacao, all of whom were fun and interesting and made for great conversation and joking around at dinner.

Besides the food and company, the grounds themselves were beautiful, with a nice pool, terraced patio and pretty green lawn. It was kid friendly and quiet and calming all at the same time. We loved that we could get to L'isle sur la Sorgue in 8 minutes, Coustellet for a grocery run in 5 minutes, maybe 10 minutes to Fontaine de Vaucluse, and other short drives to Roussillon, Avignon, Pont du Gard, etc. We were very happy with our decision to stay in the countryside while exploring one or two of these locations a day and then coming back to enjoy the pool or sitting in the sun and reading.

Overall, our stay at Sous L'olivier gave us the perfect vacation mix of relaxing and sightseeing. We'd highly recommend it.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
souslolivier, Propriétaire at Sous L'olivier, responded to this review, 8 July 2013
Hello
Thanks for you comment that's was a pleaser
How many kilos your husband take for this few days ?
And how was the Orval Abbey ?
Kings regards
Noosa, Australia
Reviewed 20 June 2013

I found this B&B on TA and I booked based on great reviews, the central location and the delicious Provencal dinners every evening if desired. My husband, 7 year old daughter and I were on a 2 month adventure around Spain and France staying in self-catering apts, so this was to be a 7 day "holiday" from our holiday!
We picked up our hire car at Avignon TGV station and 35 mins later we arrived. The B&B is easy to find, right on the main road heading south from Avignon (D900). Carole's directions on the website are very clear.
We absolutely loved staying here, it was perfect! The property is just beautiful and so well located to all the prettiest Provence towns in my opinion. It was very quiet, set back from the road surrounded by fields, so we slept very well every night.
We booked the "Figue" room which is a "family" room on the ground floor overlooking the pool and garden with its own private courtyard. It had a queen bed for us and single bed for our daughter, plus a large bathroom with separate bath and shower, a small sitting area and a tiny kitchenette with microwave oven, sink, kettle and some basic kitchen utensils/crockery.
Carole and Julien are wonderful hosts. The breakfasts each morning were plentiful but the highlight was definitely the evening dinners, which we really looked forward to. Initially we planned on only doing a few dinners during our week stay, but we ended up eating Julien's amazing dinners almost every night, as they were too good to miss! Plus it was so easy with our daughter, as she would eat with the other little ones and then we could pop her in bed and linger over our meal. It was so much fun meeting other guests from all parts of the world and sharing tips about nearby places we had visited. It really enhanced our stay in Provence to share knowledge like this, as we heard about places not necessarily well known, such as the swimming hole at Pont de Julien, near Bonnieaux which was divine on a hot day. We also really enjoyed the beautiful gardens and swimming pool at Sous L'Olivier. We found we would explore 2 places during the day and head back to the B&B in the afternoon for a swim and relax before dinner at 7:30pm. Carole was very accommodating doing some washing of clothes for us and even posting back some clothes my naughty husband left behind in the cupboard. Another tip: Coustellet (5 mins drive further down the road) was great for stocking up on grocery items, fuel, gelati, etc.
Don't bother looking any further, just book here and ENJOY the best of Provence!!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank noosagirl99
souslolivier, Propriétaire at Sous L'olivier, responded to this review, 24 June 2013
Thanks a lot for your stay and your comments (we do shorter)
That's was a pleaser to meet your family in the house
Hope you don't need to change close after so many food
Regards
Los Angeles
Reviewed 4 June 2013

My only regret about my stay at Sous l'Olivier is that it wasn't longer! Julien and Carole are lovely hosts and the food is fantastic.

Julien is very talented in the kitchen! We ate breakfast and dinner there almost every day. Even if I stayed for a week I wouldn't eat anywhere else. The food is perfect and every course for dinner is always different. Dinner starts with an apertif and a 'light' snack, then is followed by an appetizer, entree, cheese and dessert. PACE YOURSELF! It's a lot of food but it's SO GOOD! I think it was about 30E per person for dinner (which includes lots of wine too).

The jams (20 different kinds?) were my favorite part of breakfast and I believe they are all made by Julien, too. You definitely won't go hungry here!

The house itself is lovely. We stayed in the Pitchoune room which I believe is the only 'stand alone' room. It backs onto the backyard and has a little porch and table. The floors inside the room are made of stone which I thought was really neat. Very rustic and charming. The decor adds a nice finishing touch. Everything comes together very nicely, but isn't matchy-matchy. I felt like I was at home instead of in a generic hotel room.

The location is also great for touring the Luberon region. There are tons of cute towns within 10-20km. We had a car and were able to visit about 3-4 different ones per day (Gordes, Avignon, Fontaine-de-Vaucluse, L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue, etc).

I really can't say enough good things about this place, only that I can't wait to visit again.

Room Tip: Pitchoune was rustic and charming and cozy. It backs onto the garden/backyard has a little seating a...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jenny I
Syosset, NY
Reviewed 21 May 2013

Excellent looking property with expansive common rooms. Our room was very roomy and had a great view of the farmland just over our tiles roof at the window sill. The courtyard has fruit trees and a well. The tub was big and there was a separate shower too. We even tried the swimming pool though it was chilly the day we visited.

The highlight was host Julien's dinner meal shared with him and the other guests. Lots of fun, and very generous tasty food including a unique cheese course, and a profitrole type finish that we couldn't complete due to the generosity of the earlier courses. Julien was good company and the other guests were fun.

Room Tip: We stayed in the "Olive room" - it was really big with a nice view and both bath and showe...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
souslolivier, Propriétaire at Sous L'olivier, responded to this review, 24 May 2013
Hello
Thanks for your stay and to have take time to write a review on Tripadvisor
That's was a good moment for us too
Kings regards
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2013

A lovely place to stay. We found Julien and Carole friendly and welcoming The setting, courtyard, and house are delightful, breakfast is excellent with a large choice of fresh jam, fruit, breads etc and Dinner,cooked by Julien, was outstanding with good wine included. Worth staying just for the quality of the cooking. We will certainly go back.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank johndkgf
Denver, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 7 February 2013

I normally don't write reviews, but I just saw the review titled "bad attitude" while planning another trip to France and I had to respond. My husband, 2 young adult daughters, and I stayed at Sous L'olivier last May (2012) for a few days - it was our base camp as we explored Provence. We, too, got a little lost on our way and called Julien for guidance. He told us we were almost there, and we arrived soon thereafter. Julien proved to be a great host and a fabulous chef during our stay (by the way, we did find the front door when we arrived - it's not like a hotel entrance, but it is clearly marked). We arrived on my 19 year old daughter's birthday, and we had a great birthday dinner prepared by Julien. It was just a lovely place to stay, and Carol and Julien were great hosts. My husband and I are returning to France this May (our 24 year old daughter loved it so much she stayed in Paris), and we are trying to arrange another stay at Sous L'olivier.during this trip.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank Theresa J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lagnes
Le Domaine De La Petite Isle
Le Domaine De La Petite Isle
#4 of 15 in L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue
Le Mas des Gres
Le Mas des Gres
#1 of 4 in Lagnes
La Maison sur la Sorgue - Esprit de France
La Maison sur la Sorgue - Esprit...
#1 of 15 in L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue
#9 of 15 in L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue
La Prevote
La Prevote
#6 of 15 in L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue

Been to Sous L'olivier? Share your experiences!