“too expensive for too little of too basic food”
Review of La Ferme du Sartot - CLOSED

La Ferme du Sartot
Price range: US$38 - US$77
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: La Ferme du Sartot is under new management effective November 2012. A new chef and staff are now providing meals in what has been rated as Flaine's top restaurant; hopefully the clientele will be satisfied with the dining experience now provided by the new staff.
Reviewed 14 January 2013

For Christmas we made a reservation at this restaurant based on the previous reviews of Trip advisor. When we arrived, we found out that the restaurant had just re-opened with a new owner and another concept (smelly cheese). We decided to try anyway since it was Christmas and Flaine does not have much choice and it had been quite a challenge to reach the restaurant in snow and ice. The surrounding of the farm is beautiful, but the menu is very limited. One of us ordered the main course potato dish, which appeared as very little in a very small bowl. If it wasn't for the price it must have been a side dish. We are used to pay for good food and we know when you don't pay much you don't get much. But here things mixed up as pay much and get little in quantity and quality.
The wine was very good but overall we were very disappointed that this was our X-mass dinner. Maybe if you like cheese give it a try, it's a long walk.

3  Thank floorams

Reviewed 6 April 2012

We were recommended this restaurant by reception at the Montsoleil apartments we were staying at. We really enjoyed our evening and it was wonderful to eat in a restaurant that is run with a passion. The owner and chef came to talk to us during the evening which was lovely and the overall atmosphere was very convivial. The food was very very good - the special of pork medallions was beautifully cooked. We also had some local white wine, recommended by our waitress, which was very good. Deserts were great too with us enjoying a lemon mousse, chocolate pudding, and a baked apple dessert. Make sure you visit one evening when you are in Flaine.

Reviewed 4 April 2012

As an occasional visitor to Flaine, I now make it a habit to dine at La Ferme du Sartot each time I'm in town. The setting is an old wooden farmhouse simply but tastefully appointed, a bit out of the way (near the "Front de Glace"). Reservations are required, though the staff will gracefully accept walk-ins should there be room at the inn (which is not always the case). Do yourself a favour, make a reservation.
La Ferme du Sartot is what the French call "confidentiel" , a bit of a secret, usually first encountered by word-of-mouth : there are no signs on the building, and finding it is the first challenge for the worthy !
The atmosphere is cozy, the staff cheerful and bilingual, and the food --ah ! the food ! -- is outstanding. The chef uses the freshest ingredients available, makes all of his own soups, sauces, and desserts. I'm told that many customers come back just for the sake of the homemade desserts, and I can easily believe it although I am personally more of an afficionado of soups. The best soups I've ever had anywhere, bar none. Main dishes are beautifully prepared, with flavours perfectly balanced. All of this complemented by a very good wine list featuring many local wines of high quality and reasonable cost.
All of this doesn't come cheap, obviously, but the prices are far closer to the typical fondue restaurants' than the multi-starred restaurants of Megève, although you'd never know it once you taste the wonderful food. This is truly great value for your hard-earned money.
If you want to have a memorable, affordable and delicious meal, this is the place to go.

Reviewed 7 March 2012

What a find! I cannot believe it. Jo and I found this fantastic place by accident driving all the way down exploring Flaine. We saw the sign and went to see what this place was and maybe book a table. We walked up the driveway and the door was open...there was Evan in his chef jacket..I asked if this was a restaurant..he looked at me as if I was stupid...lol! He replied 'Yes' and I asked for a card to book a table a little later.

We called the next day and booked a table, again Evan answered the phone and took our reservation stating that Sunday noght was unexpectedly slow and he would see us at 8.30.

When we got there we were seated by the comforting fire, and Evan was seated with some regular customers. He actually explained the menu and sold us with his incredibly passionate description of the rack of lamb. We immediately ordered it..it was to die for!!! It was served with his mashed potatoes and green beans. Wow is all I can say, we were in heaven. Paired with an amazing selection of red recommended by Evan and then followed with chocolate fondant and an irish bread pudding (sultanas soaked for 2 days in liqueur exploded in the mouth) mmmmmm!!!

Another bottle of wine, some coffee and liqueur. Dancing by the fire with Evan Gwen and his amazing team waqs just the icing on the cake you would think? When I was trying to pay they told me they did not take cards..but not to worry Evan drove me to the cash machine and in his Alfa Romeo which was great!!

Thanks Evan & Gwen we will definitely be back and recommend this place to everyone we know!! I felt like I was in their home and at a dinner party with some great friends. If you do not go to Le Ferme du Sardot you do not know what you will be missing!!!

Allan & Jo

Reviewed 15 January 2012

Went as a party of 4 adults and 4 children (youngest 11). Very nice surroundings, log fire homely atmosphere. The waitress didn't speak a lot of English (our fault I suppose for not speaking much French)! Menu is basic, a choice of chefs special, 3 choice of starters a main and dessert for €35 each. Or cheese fondu. Chose to have the fondu at €28 each! Bowl of soup was €14 each. Although the food was nice it was too expensive. Wine was about €30 for a bottle. Yes I know skiing restaurants are not cheap and neither are many places in Flaine so I guess it was OK but I would only go there for a special occasion. They do not take credit cards, it is cash only which caught us out!