“Avoid at all costs”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Malia
Village Oasis Studios and Apartments
Ranked #49 of 83 Speciality Lodging in Malia
Reviewed 17 August 2008

Friends and I decided to go see what the Malia fuss was all about as it seems to be on most young people's summer checklists.

We opted for September, in a bid to avoid the teething crowds we had been warned about.

This was booked with 18-30, which I suppose you have to get what you pay for, but to be honest not even what we got I feel was acceptable, regardless of how much we paid.

Our flight was late at night so we did not arrive in Crete until the early hours of the morning. We joined a coach full of probably drunk people our age and listened to some suped-up rep harp on about how mad the place is. Then we had to sit and endure rather crap frankly club music. I love my tunes but even this at that hour was annoying.

We arrived finally at the hotel and from the street, it did look nice, considering it was fairly new built. This was soon shattered when we entered.

Entering the hotel, there is no "reception". You walk straight into a bar. Add about 50 loud northerners, the place was literally like something from Byker Grove.

A desk sits a step up from the bar, calling itself "Reception" where some po-faced Greek sits there looking bored out of their mind. Thus resulting in a "can't be asked" person to turn to.

The room was usual hotel layout, however the "bathroom" was literally a walk-in wetroom, with sink, toilet and drain hole literally within not even a foot of eachother.

This meant showers literally saturated the room, including your towels (which I must add you bring yourself, as this hotel has no maid service or towels)

There is a no-flushing of the toilet rule in Greece, but I had to disregard this seeing as no maid was coming in to clean of our dirty papers in the bin. Being such a small room, it was the last place you want smells to waft to.

The beds are well basic mattress with a paper thin sheet thrown across them. There is a balcony with a view across the old village in Malia.

There is a TV placed so high up the wall, spiderman would have to go up to turn it on for you.

There is a small "kitchen" area, with bare cupboards, and a fridge.

Back to the staff, they were about as useful as a chocolate fireguard. They didn't care what problems you have, probably pretending to speak no English when you go to them.

The owner of the hotel, carries a taser gun, which is used with no hesitance against non-guests who come into the hotel at night.

The place is crude, full of drunken northerners who probably think the hotel is better than their own homes. Expect no sleep, as they will run up and down the corridors banging on doors (staff will also join in)

I am not being prude, I did go to Malia and I went to all the clubs, and yes I got drunk but the hotel is the last place you wanna come back to the rowdiness.

It seemed the people never left the hotel to go into the town, which is stupid as the prices for crap food and drink in the hotel were horrendous.

Do not go to this hotel ever. If you are used to even 2* hotels, trust me when I say this hotel is lower than the low.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8  Thank Bennyboy08