We stayed in an Ambassador villa for our week here (September 2011). The hotel is lovely and the surroundings are great. It's not a 5* - more like a good 4*, there were several minor problems such as outside lights not working etc but nothing to spoil the holiday. The food is good, whilst again not being 5*. We went half board and the the breakfast is fine, there is a plentiful selection. Dinner was "a la carte" although choices are minimal - however they did cater for me being a pescatarian. The waffles from the top bar are a must - they are delicious. I would have liked the villa to be slightly more private - you could easily see the neighbours from both the balcony and from the outside pool area.
The views over Malia from the villa and hotel are great - much better than the actual town! The old town is fine and there is a small selection of restaurants etc, plus it is 10-15 mins less walk. The centre of Malia is terrible, we are used to touristy towns and enjoy having a wonder into the shops etc however Malia is just bars (and not nice ones) and there is no shops etc. The walk to the beach is also quite far - down the end of the Malia strip. It is only really worth the walk/taxi into Malia if you want supplies from the supermarket. The other problem with the villa was the weather - we went late September and the weather over Malia wasn't great - however it seemed that due to being high up the mountain, the sun did not reach up to the hotel. Whenever the sun did reach it only lasted an hour before we were once again in the shade due to the location of the villa. We found ourselves therefore quite bored here as it was not nice enough to sunbathe, Malia had nothing to offer us and there wasn't much to do in the hotel! The staff are lovely and very friendly and will help with anything if you ask. Don't expect a 5* hotel but it is still a very nice hotel if you want to do nothing for a week!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Royal Heights Resort is situated in Malia area-Pezoula on an amazing privately-owned hill consisting of 60 acres of land with breathtaking views of the beautiful Cretan Sea. Located just 2 minutes away by car from the amazing beaches of Malia and just a 20 minute drive from the international airport ‘Nikos Kazantzakis’ in Heraklion and five minutes from the golf of Herisonnisos. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, LoveHolidays, getaroom.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Royal Heights Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Heights Hotel Malia
- Royal Heights Resort Malia, Crete