We booked a private villa at the RHR in order to have a weeks total relaxation - and it certainly meet that objective perfectly.
It appears that the main business of the location is as an events venue (large weddings etc) however, that doesn't impact the quality of the location as a hotel.
The top things worth mentioning :
- The level of service & staff attitude is exceptional
- The level of cleanliness is superb
- The food is really good with a decent selection (half board menu)
If I was to look for any improvements :
- Maid service to begin slightly later
- Beds should be more comfortable (too hard for my liking)
The setting is fantastic, up on the hill and away from the (in my view) hell on earth that is the main strip on Malia - however, don't be put off travelling down into the small old town for a meal or drink.
Food & drink at the hotel is reasonably priced and excellent quality. The spa is well appointed as is the gym (but the mens changing rooms are slightly showing their age)
The private villa are amazing, great views, perfect pool and beautiful terrace to spent time relaxing (or in our case having room service for lunch).
One of the criticisms I have seen is that non-residents (which are mainly young lads & girls staying down on the strip) are allowed to accessed the pool and they can get a bit loud etc. We spent our last day (between check out at midday and transfer at 20:30) at the main pool and although they were visitors (lads plus some locals) it had no negative impact on our day.
One other point is entertainment : The Crete evening on Sunday was really good, the DJ at poolside on Sunday afternoons (which can be heard throughout the complex) may not be everyones taste and the Pianist/Singer etc which accompanied dinner every night were ok-ish but lacked variation (seemingly same playlist everynight).
To summarise, for a relaxing week with good food, great private pool at a reasonable price and amazing staff this is a really good choice ... we will be returning
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Royal Heights Resort is situated in Malia area-Pezoula on an amazing privately-owned hill consisting of 60 acres of land with breathtaking views of the beautiful Cretan Sea. Located just 2 minutes away by car from the amazing beaches of Malia and just a 20 minute drive from the international airport ‘Nikos Kazantzakis’ in Heraklion and five minutes from the golf of Herisonnisos. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Jet2Holidays , Expedia, Hotels.com, TravelUp, Odigeo, LoveHolidays, Agoda and Ebookers so you can book your Royal Heights Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Heights Hotel Malia
- Royal Heights Resort Malia, Crete