“Everyone at the Notos made my holiday!!”

Notos Heights Hotel & Suites
Ranked #17 of 91 Hotels in Malia
Reviewed 13 July 2013

My friend and I stayed at the Notos from 31st may - 15th June and couldn’t have asked for a better place to stay!!
We were the first group of arrivals for the season so understandably the hotel was very quite for the first few days until the tues (change over day).
When we first arrived our only issue was our room as we had booked an apartment and got given a studio. This wasn’t too much of an issue for the first week as we had some fantastic (and fit!) neighbours. By the Thurs of the next week, we moved to an apartment with no hassle.
This hotel was in no way as near to the strip as I had been told when I was sold the holiday (500m walk/ten mins away) so please take this into account when booking. However if you do decide to do the 18-30s activities, every night you walk in as a group and do drinking games so barely notice the long walk (25ish mins).
Rooms are great, had all mod cons and we even had a free tv! The shower in the studio room wasnt great to be honest, no shower curtain so by the time we'd both showered, it was like a pool in our bathroom! But the apartments are lush. Very modern and furnished beautifully.
Noise was a bit of an issue by the second week as the hotel filled so if you like your sleep take ear plugs!
Pool area always really clean and tidy and everyday we managed to get sun loungers.
Food was good, prices a little steep, the same for alcohol/soft drinks but its to be expected.
George is an absolute legend as is Nikki!! loved them both. Special thanks to Anne, she is an absolute diamond! Cant do enough for you so look after her and she will in turn look after you! And lastly, Yanis! The most chilled out night guard I've ever met lol but a very nice man! :)
I was very sad to leave this place after 14 days of madness.
I hope to return next year and stay here again!
Thanks everyone at the Notots!!
xx

Room Tip: The Mirage restaurant is a short walk down the hill - great food!! Free wifi and the guy who owns it...
2  Thank Yellowsteph221

Reviewed 12 July 2013

Before heading off to Malia from Belfast with 3 other lassies, we did our research on the different places to stay in Malia and despite some bad reviews online about the Notos Apartments, we settled on staying here... And aren't we glad we did! I have no idea where the bad reviews came from but clearly people go out to these places with far-too-high standards looking for problems instead of a good time.

We arrived at Notos pretty late on 25th June 2013 and were greeted with very friendly staff and an overly hyper rep! Check in was speedy and when we opened the door to our apartment, we couldn't have been more impressed. We requested the new block as we read the old block didn't have any AC but I think they now do. There also is very little difference in the conditions of the new and old blocks, all are very well maintained and extremely clean!

Anyway, we got settled in to our ground floor apartment which had: a bedroom (which was also the living/kitchen area) a very modern and clean bathroom and a spacious bedroom that had a modern TV on the wall and the balcony attached. Outside we had a table and a few seats and the very lucious green, well kept grounds of the Notos.
There was only 2 occasions any bugs had to be exterminated and they were in the 1st night/day due to the vacant room.. Anything after that was due to leaving doors etc open but bugs were really not a problem here.

The maids cleaned and tidied our mess every day and gave clean towels/sheets once or twice during our 1 week stay- and were very helpful.. Apart from the fact that we had to purchase our own toilet roll when we ran out.. Which was 1 euro per roll from the hotel or else 2-3 euro for 12 in the shop halfway down the hill- a minor issue but one to look out for :)
The pool bar (also reception) was 24 hour and the staff were amazing. Especially Ann from Northern Ireland and George. If you are calm and friendly to them with any problems etc, they will show you so much respect in return.
This accommodation is very laid back- just what you need for a mad week of partying in Malia. Unlike some apartments, no charges incurred for bringing anyone back for a little sleepover! The pool hours were 9am-8pm but these were not strictly enforced. Found myself floating in there at around 5am/6am and no-one shouted at me, but again.. It's all about showing respect to gain some. Internet access is 1 euro for 15 mins, not too bad at all for a quick email check and Facebook creep! :)
The only thing I would criticize is the price of some of the food ie/ toast: 2 euro, a cup of tea: 2 euro.. But if you bring your own cereal etc, there's not really a problem (No toaster in the rooms!)

On day 3 a little part of our shower, which had been absent the entire stay prior malfunctioned after a maid visit and the shower was coming out the tap and we couldn't fix it ourselves so we reported it to a Greek lady who appeared to run the hotel although I have forgotten her name. She did struggle to understand how it had happened, as had we and she did try to blame us and got angry when we mentioned it could have been the maids.. Although this was fixed ASAP and she was friendly to us the rest of the time. The key thing with the staff is always to stay calm and respectful!!

Another criticism, although not personal as I have pretty good fitness is the walk from The Notos to the strip. If you go with a big crowd or make friends over there and walk back and forth with them, it's not half as bad but if not, then it can be challenging. Particularly in the day of 35-40 degrees when you want to do a little bit of shopping or something. The hill down is about half a mile and then the walk to the strip from the main road about a quarter mile. Worth it in the end though :) At the end of the day, you returned to the apartments after a night of partying at whatever time and depending on the hallions also staying there, you got an amazing sleep because there is no hustle bustle of the strip, it's lovely and peaceful and private.. Just what you need for sleeping and then sweating the hangover off by the pool in whatever state!

The sunbeds are clean, there's always staff scuttling about to tidy up plastic cups and litter etc from round the pool, there's also always free sunbeds whatever time you happen to rise from your bed!
The pool is clean and there are no dodgy smells (except from 1 bin halfway down the hill haha)

We bought our Club 18-30 week wristbands for all the events at 215 euro and as soon as we paid the money, we thought we had made the biggest mistake.. And although this is a lot of money upfront which the reps pretty much bully you into taking in a 'now or never' manner, we didn't regret it by the end of the week when we had attended so many amazing, unforgettable days and nights out! These included a Silent Disco at Candy Club, a paint party down by the beach, booze cruise, Malia Live concert (Tinchy Stryder the week we were there), spring break and a foam party.. + more! Some of which gave drink promotions (1 euro bar for 1 hour, free drink here and there) - Great craic!! Not sure what these events would cost separately, considering entry fees to clubs etc were included but oh well!
Candy Club is a good enough spot, Zig Zag club is very popular too along with the bars that line the strip such as Malibu, Reflex and Banana. Have to say Safari and Apollo, although popular made me a little uncomfortable from time to time but maybe that was just me.

Prepare to be absolutely TROLLED by PR staff for every single bar and club most nights but especially your 1st.. We got down to the strip the 1st night and couldn't dodge the 1st bar, Loft who offered us promotions such as 3 cocktails, 2 shots and a fishbowl for 5 euros and other places will lower their prices for the same deals if you say you've just had that offer etc. (This happened at Heaven, next door to Loft, who gave us a similar deal for 3 euro!)
However, the prices did seem to increase as the week went on.. 2 for 1, 2 for 5 euro, 2 for 6 euro etc but overall, drink prices aren't too bad :)

If you love pizza, you will love Malia! PIZZA EVERYWHERE! There is also a 24/7 McDonalds near the bottom of the strip and a 24/7 Subway.. Though I preferred Sticky fingers near the top of the strip or just a burger from a random stall. Yummy!
For most of the trip I coughed my lungs up and had no voice. I blame AC and Shisha and more so, the paint-stripper vodka.. I would say avoid this stuff but... It's Malia so hardly!!

This place is not for the faint hearted. You need your wits about you. Although there is very little violence, I did hear about someone get beat up and another get mugged so never end up on your own, always make sure there are 1 or 2 brain cells still working.. Especially if you have to make the walk back up to the Notos Apartments at all hours in the morning.

I ended up spending 550 euros in my week there.. Which I am still dodging my bank about. I expected to spend around 400 but it just depends what you get up to when you're there.. For example, on our last night, I thought it would be a fantastic idea to get my nose pierced after the foam party in Malia Ink. If you want something tattoo'd or pierced, go here.. I had no infections, everything is really professional and clean. Brilliant stories to be told.. I'm glad I did get my nose pierced but Malia is like another world and the brightest ideas wouldn't seem to be the smartest when you return home lol.

I have absolutely nothing to complain about concerning my holiday here.. Everything from checking into our flights, to our transfer, to our entire stay at the Notos, to our events and return home :)
In a sentence, Notos Hotel is very clean, safe, friendly and laid back.. Malia is unreal. I want to return next year and I wouldn't stay ANYWHERE else!!

Just make sure you go to have fun and not to complain! Be nice to everyone- especially locals as they will show you the same attitude back but also keep your guard up :)
OOH AH MALIA!

Room Tip: Ask for the new block and check your AC might work without paying the 60 euro for the week (Though t...
2  Thank MegW22
Reviewed 12 July 2013

13 of us went here 2nd-9th July 2013. This place has unbelievable tekkers. The pool bar is open 24/7 so you can get any drinks you want, I’d recommend the Raki at about 8am to sort you right out for the day ahead, that or eating a cigarette which is a delicacy here. All the staff are top draw, Nikki is a cracker and she’ll look after ya when it comes to recommending the best drinks. Definitely try a shot called the Bumchin – it’s a beauty. Yanni the pool guy is a top geezer as well as George (the main man). Alex, our rep was constantly giving 110% also. All the food they gave us was quality, reasonably priced too and I mean that from the bottom of my heart. Try the Notos Burger but why not just let them ask you – what’s your favourite food? They’ll probably whip something of the highest quality up. Pool was decent with enough sun beds for everyone and the view of a car on a roof in the foreground of Malia strip and the sea is a sight to behold. The staff will let you put your own Ipods in and play some tunes. There is a pool table and table tennis table you can get on free of charge, perfect place to just wait for a mate whilst they take an age to get ready before a night out. There is also a pretty decent tennis court which rumour has it was once regularly used by Boris Pecker. Rooms are pretty high end in relation to other 18-30 hotels I have stayed previously, our group were half in the old building and half in the new building but both were fine.

Just a warning, there is a beast of a hill between the hotel and the strip. Fine when you have had a few beers but becomes a bit of a jungle run when you try and walk it sober, you feel like you need wing mirrors on to navigate it. When you do get to the strip, why not go to Heaven bar for a drink called the Gary Neville – you only live once. If you ask anywhere else for this and they give you a yellow drink, that is not a real Gary Neville. That is a Phil Neville – stay well away.

Overall 10 out of 10.

Room Tip: Whilst your here just give 110%, enjoy it. YOLO.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Essex861
Reviewed 10 July 2013

I have just come back from Malia on a club 18-30 holiday with my three friends and had a brilliant holiday. Notos Apartments were about 10 minutes walk to the top of the strip and since the strip is quite long, about 20 minutes to the beach at the bottom but the walk is very enjoyable and a nice way to clear your head after a long night out!
The apartments themselves looked brand new and were cleaned every day. Each week the walls are touched up with paint to cover any marks that may have arised, keeping them looking very fresh and new. the self catering facilities are very basic, no oven or cooker just a hot plate but there are so many nice cheap restaurants and the pool bar selling food that there is no need to cook yourself! we saw our friends apartment block and it was no comparision to these- ours were much more spacious, clean and nicer overall and our had sound proof walls! the pool is the nicest in the town with a great view over the town and to the sea.
George and his wife own the place and are very accomodating and friendly.
there is airconditioning in the room and a safe and are cheap to pay for. late check out if also available till 6 which is very handy.
the owners made our holiday very easy and enjoyable and i would highly recommend this apartment.
the older reviews do not apply anymore as since then the old block has been refurbished and now the two blocks are just as good as one and other! :)

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sarah D
Reviewed 3 July 2013

Me and 3 other girls from belfast stayed in the notos in the last week of June and i can honestly say it was a big part of making our holiday in malia the best experience ever!
Everyone who worked behind the 24 bar were really friendly and such a laugh! Ann is a legend and looked after us all.
Our room 116 was a great size and wad very clean! on arrival our bathroom light was brokn but as soon as we told george he came straight in to fix it!
Everyone in the notos was like one big family and me and the girls will never forgot that week! thanks notos...Joanna,Bekkah, Megan and Dominique! p.s. ofcourse Dj virge hardcore house hour at the pool made each night better!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank JO44444
Reviewed 3 July 2013

3 of us stayed here for a week in June! Can honestly say we had the best time ever and already want to book to come back next year!! All staff were brilliant!! Such a great atmosphere at the hotel! Was very clean and tidy and the food was great! We ate here every day!! Was a bit of a walk down to the strip but you soon get used to it!! Would defo recommend this hotel!!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Kelly-t-young
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Please don't listen to any of the bad reviews, they're either miserable or old!! I stayed in the Notos Apts with 4 other girls at the start of June 2013. It was honestly the best holiday of our lives.

At the start we were a bit apprehensive when we were passing the whole of the nightlife on the coach and entering no mans land. But when you compare the hotel to some of the horrible inbetweener type hotels on the strip, I was glad I was out the way! The room we stayed in was amazing, room 311. It was spacious with a kitchenette, double bed, two single beds, a day bed and even a sofa! Oh no to mention the two balconies.. which you could see the sea from and the rest of malia!! 311 is the best room you can get, so if you can request it DO IT !

This hotel is 18-30, so if you're boring or you don't like reps waking you up screaming down the mic to get up, you might wanna find a new hotel! Music is always played round the pool (pool is one of the biggest in malia) and always a great atmosphere there. OH, GEORGE & YANIS. what babes, always there to tell your drunken woes to when you get back as its a 24 hour bar, what more can you want!? and ann! she is just the best woman ever, it's just like a massive family there in other words and if george loves you, you might even get a few cheeky free shots!!

Okay, so the strip is a little walk. But no longer than 10 minutes sober however, drunk is a different matter. The walks back just made the holiday 10x more hilarious though, always bumping into one of your notos family members! I recommend cloud 9, zigzag and bar one! DJs were hilarious. Was so sad to leave this place and as we were leaving a handy man came in and re-painted walls! faultless.

BASICALLY, THIS IS AN AMAZING PLACE, BOOK IT NOW!
Love the original 311 girls.
Amy, Rose, Fallon and Kirsty.

Room Tip: room 311 is the best room, theres A/C and two balconies. I believe all rooms have A/C though.