“Absolute dive.”
Review of Malibu Resort

Malibu Resort
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Malia
Malibu Resort
Ranked #51 of 77 Speciality Lodging in Malia
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Absolute dive.”
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Now I'm not one to believe everything you read in reviews, but I totally regret not listening to the bad reviews on this hotel. Me and my friend went to Malia for a girls holiday for two weeks from 23rd July to 5th August and we'd both go back to Malia again as it is absolutely fantastic- but NOT this hotel.

You hardly expect luxury when you book up to a club 18-30 hotel but the standard of this hotel was absolutely scandalous. We paid a considerable amount of money for it and were very disappointed with the value we got. I have no idea how this hotel meets Thomas Cook's standards.

I'll start with the advantages of this hotel, which are few and far between. It does suit the young, wild and rowdy as the atmosphere is very lively and the staff are very tolerant of loud noise, drinking in hotel rooms etc. but as a club 18-30 hotel you'd expect that. The pool is also one of the best in Malia and is very well kept and maintained with many of the workers coming here to lounge about during the day and socialise. It also has a pool bar which you can drink and socialise with others at before heading out- however it is quite pricey. The staff are reasonable in many ways but unreasonable in others. They tolerate drunken banter and mess but they will try and get money out of you however they can so make sure any damages are noted in your room before you settle in. The night shift receptionist Nikkos was a wee darling and always offered to look after our keys before we headed out. The location was also ideal as it was directly on the strip.

However, the hotel is in dire need of a refurbishment as it is very old fashioned. Our biggest shock was in our room. We were promised a kitchenette and our room had nothing more than two beds, a desk and a fridge in it. Our room (207) was absolutely tiny. It definitely was not suitable for one person, never mind two. However, we persevered as we didn't plan on being in it much. Upon arrival we noticed our only plug socket was broken and was sparking/smoking- safety hazard! This wasn't fixed until the next day but even then, what use is one plug socket to two females (straightners, hairdryers, docking stations, chargers??) There was also a massive hole in our toilet floor which we had to cover with a bin to avoid falling down it when we were drunk as they refused to fix this. Our balcony could only fit one person in it and it was possible for people to climb into it from the lobby and steal our things- which actually happened. Luckily we caught them in the act. We were not told we had to pay for air conditioning and consequently we spent the first four nights melting in our beds until we finally put in an enquiry and were then charged 85euro for it. This should be included with the room price!! As soon as our air conditioning got put on our balcony was constantly flooded with water from it. Cleaners came once a week and only changed sheets and delivered loo roll so it was entirely up to yourself to housekeep. You weren't allowed anyone back to the hotel at all without paying 15euros which was a bit of a problem for us as we had friends staying in a different hotel who had to get a hold of us somehow. There are no locks in the toilet door, no shower curtain and no hot water for your shower. Infact, you were lucky if your shower ran at all. It was also hand-held. The front door locked but it wasn't very secure as you could probably kick the door in although it is possible to buy a safe to keep your valuables in- at a price.

Overall, Malia was an absolutely brilliant holiday. There's always something to do and plenty of nightlife. You'll never do the same thing twice! It's very cheap to buy alcohol and for us Scots you can buy Irn-Bru in almost any shop for under 1euro. Bargain! Some shops will give you deals to make your own fish bowls and provide the ingredients and utensils etc. There's plenty of good restaurants- my favourites were the Red Lion and Sticky Fingers. Most places serve a good British breakfast- some with tattie scones.

The only thing I'd say be cautious about- girls especially- is Israelis. I'm not racist but the attitude they had toward British females was despicable. My friend was held by the throat by an Israeli guy for bumping into him and another friend nearly got taken off a table by one when she told him to go away after trying to put his hand up her dress. Another got punched for not talking to one. All these friends were female. Many bars, clubs and hotels refuse to let them in but some make them pay. Some sneak in. You'll see most of them at events such as Starbeach etc. They're easy to avoid but it's just a word of warning.

And it's true that the music in every bar on the strip gets turned off for a few minutes every night when the police come down the strip as it's illegal to have it at a certain level past a certain time. Overall, go to Malia but not the Malibu Resort Hotel. I recommend the Illios Malia Hotel, which is where our friends stayed.

Hope this review helps everyone thinking about going to Malia next year! It'll be a holiday to remember.

Room Tip: Ask for a spacious room overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ShelbeyMartin_X

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Greek first
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Went to Malia on a boys holiday, all got put in rooms of 2 with balconies overlooking the pool. All rooms had fridges in to keep our bevvies cold. Clean sheets, maid came a few times. Bathrooms absolutely fine. Great pool with deep end perfect for bombs and flips. Pool bar with 1 euro shots, also do food. Great location in the bit between where the strip forks, walk out the hotel and you're on the strip. All in all pretty good place for the money.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Okay so I don't usually write reviews...but, because I couldn't find any reviews for this hotel before I went to Malia, I'm gonna help anyone out who has booked this hotel for the future.

Overall, this hotel was great. When we arrived everyone in the hotel was very welcoming. A lot of people complain about getting sold packages by the reps as soon as you arrive, but we didn't mind! Despite what people say, I honestly believe the events are good value for money. We bought the paint party, the big night out, and the weekender. I'm so glad we bought these because they were all top nights out! Saying that, the big night out was the best by far (first night out is always the best)! Last year I went to Malia without club 18-30 and bought no events... it was absolutely rubbish!!

In general, the hotel was very clean. The pool area is great! We also got breakfast included with our package before 12, which was handy! The staff were all helpful and nice. Anyone who complains about the staff being rude is clearly just one of them idiots who makes too much noise or doesn't show any respect! The room was a good size, balcony didnt have that nice of a view but it wasn't an issue. Obviously as your in Malia, you don't expect a 5 star room. The maid visited a lot, but most of the time I just told her we'd clean the room ourselves as we did make it an absolute tip! Only thing is, when she did clean the room, she threw away my last pair of eyelashes!!! I don't think she realised how much they meant to me haha.

Even though the hotel is practically right on the strip, you don't hear any surrounding noise! I stayed at Aegean sky last year, and it was actually so dangerous because we would always have to walk down a dark alley to our room! But with the Malibu Resort it was just straight to our room. There was a bit more trouble in Malia this year, so it was nice to not have to walk down a dark alley with some of the weirdos about. The receptionist is kind of strict with bringing people back - I heard a few people next door trying to bargain with him on several nights. Though it didn't matter to us as we weren't bothered about bringing people back. We did get told off and sent to our rooms a couple of times for making too much noise in the hallway - which was probably fair enough as we were being drunk and annoying lol.

18-30 experience was also really good. The rep (Matt) was very helpful, and always there in case you needed to know something! I found all the reps to be approachable and lovely!
The holiday was really good. I had the best time and got to meet a load of people because of the 18-30 experience. The Malibu Resort is definitely doesn't have enough reviews, which is why I wanted to write. The hotel I stayed at last year is rated as 'the best in malia', but it's a complete rip off!! (Aegean Sky) -- it was in the middle of now where, the pool area was so small, and the staff were really unwelcoming. The Malibu resort was 10000x better.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a lads/girls holiday away. Thankyou Malibu xx

• Stayed August 2013
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I went to Malia for a week on a girls holiday and this hotel was fantastic!!
It is what you would expect if you were on a party hotel, fairly basic but clean and the food is good!
The pool is lovely and has loud music played throughout the day and night. The staff are great!
You get your breakfast everyday which is a fry up, and you can eat it from 9-12 in the morning so no need to get up early from the night before.
It is right on the strip and everything is on your doorstep but not loud at night times.

Room Tip: Rooms with balcony facing the pool.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Just back from a fortnight stay in Malia. The best 2 weeks of my life. The hotel is basic all of the staff are great apart from the daytime receptionist, Maria. The way I found it to be is if you are nice to the staff, they are nice to you. Poppy, the bar woman, is amazing. Mario, the nightguard is both hilarious and helpful, if you stay on his good side. The hotel is perfect for an 18-30 hotel as it is situated right on a part of the strip with bars, and only a 2 minute walk from the clubs but it is surprisingly quiet at night. The pool is probably the best in malia and every second Wednesday it holds a pool party which is always packed, so get your sunloungers early! I also found the hotel very safe and there is CCTV throughout. We will definitely go back there.

Room Tip: Don't go to this hotel if you aren't in Malia to party.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank Shaughn B
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 December 2011

I went to malibu resort (twice as nice) on 2nd of august 2011, i booked up a 18-30 holiday with my friend and we wanted to have a party hard holiday! for what we paid we expected to have a half decent hotel but when we got there Marios (the manager) said he was giving us the best room in the hotel, (if that was the best i would dread to see the worse!!!) , we arrived at 2am, by then we were tipsy due to drinking on the plane ect, we both looked at each other and nearly cryed with the state of our room, sheets had fake-tan from previous residents, when we complained they were nice enough, but you cant make ANY noise what so ever,(who the hell wants to go a 18-30 hol and be quiet??) im not fussy im quite a basic kind of girl but this was horrendous i wouldnt even let my dog stay in it, only good thing about hotel was the pool area, very livley during the day, food that was sold at pool side bar was delious, club sandwich and chips for $5 and this filled me up for the whole day!! location was amazing as we were on the strip and we wernt to fussed about sleep as we just did this at the pool during the day. you are not aloud anyone back to your room that dosent stay there, if you do you need to pay $30 a time!! complete scandal. i wouldnt recomment this hotel for anyon elike me who likes to get drunk and have fun!!

Room Tip: the rooms are basically all the same but we had a pool veiw which was good.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Paige M

Travellers are raving about these Malia hotels

Stowmarket, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2011

I got back from Malia on Wednesday and I have never been so depressed to be home! Definitely going to work out there next summer! It's an amazing resort for young people, lively and welcoming. Malibu resort is perfectly located. Everything is on your doorstep! The rooms are very basic but that's what you expect from Greece! The cleaners came round twice in a week and did a great job of cleaning up after us. As you'd expect if you damage something you do have to pay (the door being the most expensive €600.) We didn't make any damages so we didn't have to pay for anything. We didn't even bother to pay for air con as we were pretty much out all night so just slept with the balcony doors open. Our friends paid for the air con and said it wasn't really worth it. Some rooms have shower curtains, some don't. It's just pure luck as to which room you're given. The staff are friendly and welcoming as long as you respect their rules. The pool is fantastic and the sun loungers were the comfiest I've ever had on a holiday. A lot of workers come to the Malibu pool and have said it's one of the best. The food and drink by the pool is a little overpriced so I'd recommend eating in one of the restaurants down the road instead. The supermarket next door does great cheap deals on alcohol for pre drinks. Overall I'd say if you're not planning on spending hours in your room Malibu is a perfect place to stay. I'd definitely stay there again! Oh and visit V Bar which is to the left when you turn out of the hotel the PR's were the nicest guys I've ever met! Malia 2011 was amazing!!

• Stayed September 2011