“A typical Cretan eating experience”
Review of Kreta Taverna

Kreta Taverna
Ranked #34 of 82 Restaurants in Malia
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We were unable to fit this restaurant into our schedule last year, so we made a point of visiting this year and we were not disappointed. A simple, almost basic, yet comfortable interior, without outdoor seating if the temperature allows, this is a pleasant restaurant with a warm welcome from Georgios. There isn't in my view an extensive menu, but I would say there is plenty to choose from. I opted for Sirloin steak, whilst my wife had swordfish steak, and we both thoroughly enjoyed our meals which were well cooked and nicely presented.
This is a pleasant venue with a hospitable host serving good food - nothing more, and if staying in Malia it is a nice stroll back to one's residence.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We were recommended by our apartment owners to try Kreta taverna as he rates it highly. Although it is by the side of the busy main road through Malia, once inside the surroundings were very good.
Giorgos greeted us warmly, then sat and suggested different ways of sampling his food. We went for a meze of starters, including calamari, sausage, stuffed aubergine and cheese saganaki. Every dish was well cooked and very tasty. Followed by complimentary sweet and raki, which Giorgos joined us at the table for a toast.
Very enjoyable.

1  Thank Hellsbells060
Reviewed 22 May 2014

try the courgette balls - wonderful! and the pork cooked in white wine sauce - such good traditional cooking!

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Georgios, owns the Kreta Taverna and you could not wish for a better host.

We went there for a meal - a little earlier than the opening time, but we were welcomed in with a warm smile and a seat wherever we wanted.
The day was a hot one and this early in the evening, it had started to cool down a little so it was more comfortable to bear.

The calves liver starter was absolutely cooked beautifully and my wife's starter of sea food was also cooked to her liking. (Believe me, she is fussy!)

The Main course was Veal, also cooked to perfection, with a side dish of chips, and typical Greek vegetables and a wonderful sauce. My wife had a swordfish steak, but couldn't eat all of it as there was too much for her. The evening was rounded off with the usual coffee (which was free) and the usual Raki - which was also free.

It cost us around 29 Euros for the both of us including a beer for me and a carafe of white wine for my wife. An unbelievably cheap meal considering the excellence of the cooking and the surroundings.

Would I recommend it to anyone? With pleasure.

One of the cheapest and best meals in Malia, not like the usual strip cafes or restaurants on the main street. Kretan Taverna is without doubt one of the best food restaurants in Crete.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

The waiter could have been more attentive and the sword fish could have been more flavoursome. Still one of the best in Malia.