“Amazing :)”

El Komi
Ranked #30 of 90 Hotels in Malia
“Amazing :)”
Reviewed 8 September 2013 via mobile

Came here on the 22nd august with my friend, the people who own it are very nice people.

Ideal location as you are basically right on the strip of malia there is a restraunt across the road that gives you 10% discount which is very handy, the pool area is a nice place to hang out in.

Would definatly come back here again
100%

• Stayed August 2013

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Me and my friend booked a last minute deal to Malia for one week! We booked the El Komi and were a little nervous as it was such a good price and we were right on the strip. When we got there all the staff were very welcoming and friendly, there was always someone around if you needed anything! The location is fantastic, the rooms are basic but are very clean and have everything you need in them! The pool is quite but is ideal after a long night out! I would definitely recommended this hotel and we are already planning on coming back next year!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Charlottem990
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Stayed here for 2 weeks.This hotel is amazing for the price! My initial perception was the amazing location and how clean the hotel was! The staff- Tina and her hubby, the owners,are especially amazing! The hotel looks to have had a makeover, they were still in the process of this during my stay but there were no disruptions. I was extremely pleased with the quality of the accommodation. The swimming pool again was newly renovated and clean. The pool bar had a good selection (although only coffee baileys!) and one morning the staff moved tables so we could have a full English by the pool (paid)... lovely staff and can't praise them more. They also made cocktails and delivered them to you at your lounger. Many guests had music requests which they played through the speakers as well. The owners had a pet turtle also, that they kept at the bar, which many guests coo-d over! Most guests hang at the pool during the day, but it would be nice if the lobby bar at the entrance was an actual bar, to socialise before a night out, it wasn't in use, not really a bar just look like it was one at some point.
The guy on security was lovely too doesn't talk much, he would tell you to keep quiet but NEVER EVER shouted, and when me and my friends were hanging out in the lobby after a night out he offered us a bottle of water each-most likely to sober us up! I arrived late myself and he carried my bag down to my room for me thank god!
They also spent many a minute taking numerous photos in the lobby before each night out!
We were in the basement, so we had a terrace rather than a balcony, now this was good for number of reasons. 1. it was cooler down there, so we never spent money on air con and 2. it was easy to make friends with your neighbours and we would walk across the wall between rooms. We would all sit in the garden facing our patio's before a night out, and our floor made friends with the floor above, such an awesome atmosphere, really friendly people! The hotel is next to Safari club, really central, and across from the infamous Sticky Fingers, there is a about 3 doors on your patio though so minimum noise. The breakfast is really basic, but so it is for other hotels at this standard. The service is really good though and you can help yourself to juice and cake. Who gets up anyway! The shower was annoying though! The shower head is positioned really low so you have to take it off and hold it, there is also no curtain or screen so water gets everywhere. The cleaners were efficient and friendly, they cleaned my room every other day I think , and stayed away when I wanted a lie in, I informed reception the night before. I also asked for my room to be cleaned on an unscheduled day due to the water in the bathroom and they did! The bedding is also clean, I asked for some more sheets at the start of my hol because I was cold in the mornings, and the beds are also pretty comfy, slept through most mornings haha!
Now I don't recommend this.... I left my patio room door a jar all night on one occasion, but had nothing stolen. Now they do say lock it when you check in, DON'T do what I did, but I'm only telling you this to ensure you that the accommodation is a pretty safe place to be. You can rent lockers that I think are in the lobby anyway if you wish.
It can get slightly loud in the wee hours when everyone gets back but it's not continuous and completely erratic, just typical teenagers!
They also have PC's that you can surf the internet on, like 1 euro for half an hour. A mini fridge in your room completes it, and some rooms have two singles, some have a double and single like mine...what more do you want for a clubbing holiday! I recommend it highly!!Go you will not regret it! I would def go back!!

Room Tip: I found the basement was the best place to be! I was in number 5. It was cooler and very easy to mak...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Katie M
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Arrived at El Komi on the 22nd August with 3 other girls. The owners were so lovely and welcoming and would help you with anything.
The hotel is right on the strip and next to one of the best clubs so you don't have to walk very far. The security guard costos is an absolute babe and providing you get on his good side, he has no problem with you bringing people back. However I would advise keeping all night time fun inside the room as the balcony does have CCTV... Which one the girls soon found out.
The restaurant opposite does a 10% discount just for staying at el Komi and the food is good. The family that own the hotel are so lovely but make sure you don't stain any of the towels with fake tan/ make up as their is a €30 charge per towel.
I would defiantly return to el Komi again!

Room Tip: Remember the balcony has CCTV when bringing people back ;)
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jess F
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2013

I've not long returned from my first girl's holiday and I had the most amazing time! (there were 4 of us aged 18). There's only one reason you go to malia, and that is to be drunk 24/7 with your friends. The El Komi hotel was the nicest I saw out of the whole strip! It was right on the strip with the local shop and nightclubs such as safari and castle cross on your door step. I felt safe in this hotel as there was a lock to the main door which only people in the hotel had access too and then ofcourse your own room key (it was so stiff you'd have no worries about burglars lol!) I didn't even bother hiring a safe for money i felt that at home. The rooms were spacious (although the ones on the top floor which we had were much nicer than the rooms below us) and they were clean upon arrival... not so much when we left though. The only downside I have about this hotel is the shower. It's basically a little sink on the floor with a hole and a tap. And you can hear people in the room next to you taking a poo... Nevertheless the hotel owners were friendly and welcoming and the security guard who sat in the lobby all night was nice enough (unless you were loud). My friend ended up having to have an operation whilst over there, I couldn't have asked for any more help from the hotel workers. They were amazing! When she returned back to the hotel the hotel manager left her a card and fresh flowers! I had the most amazing time in malia and would 100% return to this hotel!!!!!!! I'm so surprised and happy with how nice the hotel was! They serve an english breakfast which gets a little repetitive but the illios bar directly opposite does lush food for like 2 euros. We ate there everyday and got 10% off for staying at el komi.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jade G
Glasgow
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Just returned from a two week stay in Malia with 6 of my friends and it was crazy! Never known a place like it.

We stayed in the Elkomi hotel which was a lovely place. It has some period features and a modern feel too. It is more or less a crash pad for when you need to recover from the night before, but you can also chill out in your room or by the pool when you want to have a lazy morning/afternoon.

The location of the hotel is perfect as it is more or less dead centre on the start of the strip and near all the restaurants. I wasn't expecting that as the maps that I had seen showed the hotel a good bit away from anything but it was a pleasant surprise.

For me, the staff made this holiday special as everyone was so friendly, especially a certain woman on reception who was always cheery and happy to have a talk with you if you were around reception (sorry I forgot your name).

You can buy air con for the room and a safe which is located at reception. Feels a bit strange to have it there but it is well protected with CCTV and someone always about. I would say invest in the air con for your room as it does tend to get warm at night which will make you sleepy when you should be buzzing for your night out. You can also put it into sleep mode so that it doesn't disturb your sleep.

The rooms have a bed as you would expect, a fridge, some furniture, wardrobe and a wet room. I noticed that someone complained that they had to hold the shower head, I didn't find that a big deal as I prefer those to the fixed head ones. They are cleaned every 2-3 days and towels and bed sheets are also changed at different times. Best to have a shower in the late evening as there isn't any hot water during the day which wasn't an issue as that's when I took my shower when I was getting ready to go out.

The lack of a kitchen wasn't an issue for me, but the girls had brought some food over with them (pot noodles, mug shots) but all we had to do was go up to the breakfast area and ask for a pot or two of hot water and we were allowed to sit on the dining area to eat our stuff.

If you have paid for bed & breakfast and are on a 2wentys holiday then I very much doubt you will be up for it as it is served quite early in the morning. Some of us were up on the 1st day because we didn't have a hangover. You get offered tea or coffee and a small breakfast of toast, egg, beans, cheese and ham, or you can have some fruit instead, You also get a choice of fruit juice. It is ideal if you are in the mood for a small breakfast, but as others have said there is a place directly across the road if you want something bigger, or you can get a breakfast at the pool bar too.

The balcony is big enough to get about 6 folk outside (on the ground floor, other balconies may be a different size) for some pre-drinks as we did most nights. The patio doors also have a black out screen and a sliding door as well as French window style doors so you have a good enough barrier from the outside noise should you be having a quiet night.

The pool area is big with plenty of sunbeds and comfy chairs to lounge on. There is also a bar which sells food and drink at good prices and the barman doubles up as the DJ so you have tunes to listen to and he takes requests for music.

Last but not least, I couldn't finish this review without mentioning the legendary Costas! Everything that has been said has been so very true, he is a great guy, happy to talk to you when you are heading to your room and if you get into his good books he might make you a toastie, then you will just love him :-) Just don't make trouble for him and he will be your best friend.

If I ever visit Malia again I will be sure to stay here. Thanks for a great holiday :-)

Room Tip: Room 10 was massive compared to my other two mates rooms, but its next to the safari club which does...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank seank3
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Myself and 3 other girlfriends planned our first wild girls holiday to Malia on the 30th of July for a week. I don't even normally write reviews but this hotel deserves one. We were all 18 and were nervous to see what the hotel was going to be like. We were so happy when we walked in and saw the place that we were staying at. The hotel location is actually PERFECT! Its literally right on the strip which is so handy when your drunk! The owners of the hotel are sooo nice, especially the night guard Costas - hes the absolute best! The rooms are basic but have absolutely everything you could need for a trip to Malia. Clean and spacious! The bathroom is clean and reliable. We bought the air con and a safe when we arrived (I recommend both). I cannot stress how perfect this hotel is - directly across from you there is a fantastic restaraunt that we ate at every single morning, they were so lovely and the breakfast there is so cheap and yummy. The pool area is fab also - loads of sun loungers and a big clean swimming pool. If I go back to Malia I will deffo be staying at El Komi again. This hotel is perfect and I highly recommend it. Malia 2013! :)

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends