“Good modest hotel, excellent cuisine, formidable sea”

Dessole Malia Beach Hotel
Ranked #8 of 90 Hotels in Malia
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We paid 2 500 euro for two adults with the front sea view, 11 days, AI (we are from Ukraine). There was no problem either with the front sea view accomodation or with shampoo, showing gel or soap. The sea is great, the beach is quiet, as all music and animation are concentrated around the distant pool, and it is really great, as there is no annoying music, contests and children's squeezing around you. The cuisine is very delicious and fresh, you can eat turkey, chicken, rabbit, veal, beef, pork, sea fish (Asian food and seafood in taverne). Fresh fruit are avaliable all day long. The territory is very green and rich in plants and flowers. There are two minuses for me only: there are night music shows twice a week, and if you are a "lucky" front sea, you will dance Sirtaki in your bed till midnight, as the sound proffing is rather poor. The second one is if you are an early bird, you won't get the substantial breakfast at 7.00, as all hot dishes will be ready at 7.30-8.00 only. So you must choose: a sandwich with cold cut meat, a cup of coffee and the beautiful morning sea at 7.00 or fried eggs with bacon (rather good, I must say :), mushrooms, hot croissants, etc at 8.00. All in all, our Cretian vacations were great. Evharisto, Malia Beach!

Room Tip: I think side sea view is the most comfortable variant here: you will have the panorama of sea and mo...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank VladUA
There are newer reviews for Dessole Malia Beach Hotel

Reviewed 9 August 2013

We booked 8 days for two families with very small children in this hotel via a tour operator Millenium (Travel Professional Group). We booked this hotel because of availability of the rooms with direct front sea view, and the claims that hotel is well-suited for families with children. We paid about 5,000 EUR for two rooms all inclusive which seems to be an excessive price for the level of quality delivered.

Hotel claims to be "4 stars +" however the level of qualify is maximum for 3* if not 2*.

Key issues are:
-- what hotel calls "front sea view" is actually a front view to the wasteland and mountain, with a little bit of sea on the corner very far away. When we tried to argue with hotel authorities about it and with the tour operator but they said it is what they call front sea view and that's it.
-- after lots of arguing and calling to my travel agent abroad, we were moved to rooms with the front sea view, but these rooms are extremely small for 3 people. Instead of the claimed 22 sq meters, the rooms are about 15 square meters
-- all the furniture and rooms are very old and cheap. It looks like we are back to nineties. Rooms got concrete walls ugly painted with no or little decorations. Very poor lighting - you can barely read the book to your child in the evening because of lack of light.
-- Nothing is available except shampoo (no shampoo, shower gel, etc.)
-- Silverware in the restaurant is also very old, some plates and glasses are cracked, yet still being used. Silverware is not always exactly clean
-- Food is rather average, although acceptable. We had a lunch and the dinner here already and the menu (buffet) seems to be pretty much the same
-- So far I did not see any animators or any staff that would look after small children who are wandering around a deep swimming pool.

Other than that the hotel is OK for a 2-3 star hotel where you would take a bed and breakfast, rent a car and travel for most of the day and eat and entertain yourself elsewhere. Certainly not a good choice for a family vacation with small children.

I will be taking pictures of what I see and will post on the web so that you could see the quality yourself. My sister is a lawyer and I will be suing both, the travel agent, hotel and the operator when I come back home.

I regret for such a negative rating but I am really frustrated because of the poor quality for this long-awaited vacation. This is written after 1 day here. I may more reflections later.

Room Tip: Don't take this hotel if you care about good sea view and good quality.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
11  Thank AleYan
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Great if you are German, my mate and i along with 1 other couple were the only Brits staying in this hotel, right on the beach front in Malia!!
Plus side it's on the beach down side the food all smells of Parmesan cheese so we ate out just about every meal, the nightlife goes on till about 4am in Malia as it is the hub for tourism but the reception staff thought everyone should be in bed by midnight, commenting on the hour that we came home each morning, therefore making us feel guilty for having a good time!!
Priced it up the year after out of curiosity and it had gone up £100 per person needless to say we wouldn't choose this hotel again even if it had gone down by £200 per person!!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank LanzaroteCruiser
Reviewed 7 June 2012

The location was fantastic, the hotel was average. staff were also average. stayed for two weeks and wouldn't stay again but enjoyed my time there.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank LondonMember1
Reviewed 27 October 2011

The hotel has been built as close as possible to the sea and therefore already at breakfast I was watching the great view. Staff was very friendly although it was end of season. Food was okay, for my taste too much international food but at least every day great salads and vegetables. The sea was very clear.

Room Tip: rooms with view on sea
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank beatricebrunner
Reviewed 28 June 2011

First of all Crete is a great place to spend your vacation, but not in Malia beach, the hotel with a terrible reception, very bad quality service, I had a feeling, that I owe them a money :)
They do not change shampoos. They change towels - one time in three days. Food was not good, everyday you need to eat the same food, nothing special, only two special evenings one was fish and second china food, you cant change the dates you have chosen before.
Fish special evening was just a normal one, nothing special, no shrimps, only some fried fish.
They give the wrong numbers from the very beginning, like we ordered see side view, but they gave us a pool view, and we paid extra 100 EUR for that.
We ordered double bad room, but they gave us two single bads, come on I am with wife there.
Their hotel beach is dirty and they do not clean it.
Sorry for my bad English, but please do not go to this hotel until they change something.
Russian girl in reception - terrible, no smile at ALL!

Cheers and I hope you`ll have a good vacation, but not in Malia beach hotel!

Room Tip: pay 10eur extra to get a room
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
9  Thank Anton Z
Reviewed 16 May 2011

The hotel in general was a very good one, nice rooms and beautiful territory BUT there was one very big problem with the restaurant's maitre'd (master/manager of the restaurant). He was alway being very angry and abusive towards everyone!!! And nobody could take with them even a banana or yoghurt after having a meal there. Those poeple were stopped by matre'd and all there pockets were turned out just to see if you have taken a smallest bite with you!!!!!!!!!!! That was insane! This is the first time I have seen something like this. So if you decide to go to that hotel, don't be surprised when you are being asked to show your pockets!
P.S. Last year I stayed in Cactus Beach and we had no problems at all there, especially with the restaurant! I wish I had gone to that hotel again rather than this Malia Beach where everyone was treated like a thief. I payed for that banana too, for God's sake!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank armaneva
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malia
High Beach Hotel
Dessole Blue Star Resort
Dessole Blue Star Resort
#18 of 24 in Ierapetra
Drossia Palms Hotel Studios

Been to Dessole Malia Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!