“Perfect couples holiday” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Maria Rousse Studios

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Malia
Maria Rousse Studios
Ranked #1 of 78 Speciality Lodging in Malia
“Perfect couples holiday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

Me and my husband found this gem of a holiday for 7 days the beginning of June 2014.
So close to the Malia strip and yet it felt a million miles away.
Close to all restaurants, we enjoyed the mexican and the Red Lion which we went a couple of times...staff very friendly and quality of food was excellent. You even get as much tea as you can drink with any English breakfast in the Red Lion...ideal for me being a tea tank.
The beach was a good 20 minutes at the end of the strip...busy with plenty of sunbeds...we decided to go the far right where it was so much quieter and we were able to use our towels instead of hiring sunbeds.
Stalis was a about 40 minutes walk left off the strip opposite McDonalds...a pleasant walk with plenty of Tavernas along the way..then you can walk back along the beach. We had planned on getting a bus to the fishing village of Sissi but never got there got to comfy sun bathing in the lovely garden of the hotel then cooling off in the swimming pool.
George and Barabara could not do enough to help everybody have an enjoyable holiday. Being a family run hotel made the atmosphere warm and friendly.
Although the rooms were basic they were clean and tidy with the maids visiting 3 times in the week. All of the staff were also friendly with nothing being to much trouble.
We met several people who had stayed at this hotel several years on the run...that says it all for anybody thinking of staying here.
We enjoyed this holiday so much and were only sorry we never had the time to stay longer.
We would highly recommend this hotel for couples and we are going to hopefully return in the near future.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank claire s

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Grays Thurrock, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

Me and my boyfriend booked this hotel last summer for a week. We had such a lovely time that we have just booked again for this summer. The grounds are beautiful and would definitely recommend. The room is basic but exactly what you would expect for the price.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank lucasjodie
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

I stayed here in July 2013 with 3 of my best friends for out first 'girls holiday'. We didn't know what to expect, but immediately after stepping into our hotel we were pleasantly surprised. The entire hotel is spotless, from the pool area to our bedrooms and toilets. They sold good food at the bar for decent value and a good variety of deserts and cocktails. The location of the Maria Rousse is perfect, and even though it is at the top of the strip, it never felt too much of a walk away. I would say it is at the right distance, without being too central where the noise would be unbearable. The security guard was around every night to keep things in order and the hotel in General felt really safe. But the best part of our Maria Rousse experience has to be the amazing care we received from the owners. I know they say family-run businesses are best but for the Maria Rousse this couldn't be more true. They treated us as if we were their own family, made sure we didn't want for anything and no request was too large. All in all, I loved every minute of my Malia experience, but it has to be said that a big reason for this was our hotel. We loved it so much that we are considering returning this summer!

• Stayed July 2013
7 Thank Htafesse
Epping, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

After spending two weeks at Maria Rousse in September 2012, I actually did fall in love with this place. I decided to go back in September 2013, alone. Best two weeks of my life.

The staff are incredible, the rooms and complex in general were kept absolutely spotlessly clean at all times. Great mixture of people, varying ages and backgrounds, met some fantastic new people and also met up with some I had met the year before.

The weather is outstanding in mid September, in the high 90's every day, sometimes hotter, and you have the advantage of the kids having gone back to school, so there aren't thousands of teeny boppers mobbing the place.

The pool is open from 8am until the sun goes down. The bar is open until 1-2am, depending on how busy it is. The food is really tasty and the menu gives you a lot of options. However, there are dozens of restaurants just a stones throw away. I would definitely recommend Gringos Mexican, it is just past the big Spar supermarket on the strip, the food is wonderful, the owner is also a lovely lady.

George and Barbara, owners at Maria Rousse, are simply a joy to know. Never have I known more welcoming people. They go out of their way to make sure your needs are catered to (where possible), they are very chatty, polite and generally treat you as one of the family once they get to know you a little. Barbara even had me in the kitchen for a brief cooking lesson last summer!! :-)

Tony (security) keeps the place quiet and safe all night long, he roams the complex keeping the ruffians in check. I have seen him in action, and you don't want to be on the receiving end, believe me!

Even the ladies who clean the rooms are happy and chatty, always make time to greet you with a smile or a wave.

I cannot speak highly enough of Maria Rousse and their staff, I have just booked my next trip and I cannot wait to soak up some rays by that constantly beckoning swimming pool.

I would recommend this accommodation to anyone looking for a well priced, beautifully welcoming, safe place to stay. It really is better in real life than what you see even in the holiday brochures, and I have never said that about any place I have been to before.

Ps: Don't believe what people tell you about Crete being inundated with mosquitoes, it isn't true. I have not even seen a single one on either occasion I have visited Crete.

Be careful of quad bikes, I know everyone says that, but it really is wise to listen to this warning. Many people zip around the strip area of the resort and most bikes carrying many more (drunken) people than is safe or necessary. We heard of so many accidents due to the crazy way people misuse the quads. Last year I saw one bike with six, yes SIX drunken "kids" hanging off the back, buzzing around like loonies. Really is just an accident waiting to happen. Having said that, if you plan to use them safely, they're a fab way to get around if you want to explore the surrounding villages. Although, some are well within walking distance if you're fit enough to go the distance in that kind of heat.

Roll on September 2014!! xx

Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
9 Thank Laura R
Derbyshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

Even at 4am when we arrived, the pool & bar area looked spotless.

Our room was a decent size for a studio for 2, very clean and fresh-looking with pale wood furniture.
It had 2 single beds separated by a bedside table, a wardrobe and dressing table. If we had any complaint at all, it would be that the drawer space was limited (only one in the bedside table) but that was no big deal.

Bathroom: it was very clean, fully tiled with an enclosed shower cubicle so no wet floors. The water pressure was good and there was always a good supply of hot water.

Kitchen area: TBH, I didn't even plug the kettle in for the whole 2 weeks so can't really comment but it had a 2 ring hob and seemed to have an acceptable amount of pots and pans plus kettle. You wouldn't have been able to cook a full Sunday dinner for 10 people in there but you shouldn't really expect to. It was certainly on a par with what we've had in other Greek S/C places.

We had a balcony overlooking a side road which was pretty quiet.

Safety deposit boxes were in the room and cost 25 euro for 2 weeks.
You could have air conditioning at 80 euro for 2 weeks, we didn't bother with this as we were there the middle 2 weeks of September, we slept with the balcony door open.

You had the option of paying to keep your room on until 6pm if you had a late flight. This cost 25 euro. I've seen this highlighted as a negative in a recent review. The reality is that check-out time of 10:00am in Greece is pretty standard - and is NOT the fault of the Maria Rousse owners or a collusion between them & Olympic. If you want your room until right up until you leave for the airport, book a day flight (which will be more expensive). We thought 25 euro was a good offer, not all places have the space to allow you to keep your room on even if you're willing to pay.

The level of cleaning couldn't be faulted. We had clean towels about 4 times (and they were fluffy towels that actually dried you!) throughout the 2 weeks, not sure about the sheets but no complaints there.

The pool area and bar area were very nice, but be warned that there is no children's pool if that matters to you.

Lots of chairs with brollies if you wanted to drink or eat and more than enough sunbeds to go round regardless of what time you turned up. There's some room round the pool but also a big grass area to the side that never got too crowded.

We didn't eat in the bar but a large Mythos was 3 euro which we thought was reasonable.
There are signs up saying you can't consume your own food & drink around the public areas, this is standard throughout Greece (Greek law?) and TBH, you shouldn't really expect to. Eat and drink on your balcony, no problem.

The location was perfect, less than a slow 5 minute stroll to the top of the strip or up to the old town in the opposite direction. Bus stops to Heraklion and Ag Nik are a couple of minutes away.

The owners are clearly very proud of their accommodation and with good reason.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Prettypollycat
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed here in September, for what we paid we were expecting a very basic place. We arrived and were told we were in a double room (I went with my friend and didn't want to share a double bed with her) I told the Olympic rep who replied with "sleep on a sun lounger then"!! Thanks to tony he sorted us another room which was brill. It was beautiful! Very clean, great pool area, near to to old town and the strip.. We were shocked! I seriously recommend these apartments.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank olimilleruk1
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

These studios are conveniently situated in the centre of Malia. They are quiet and well maintained with a good mix of ages staying here with mutual respect. Plenty of sun beds and lovely staff who are very helpful and was clean and comfortable throughout.
The customer service here is the best I have ever known, our fridge broke and was replaced within half an hour, the owner then knocked on our door to deliver a bag of food that more than replaced what we had lost.

As for Malia itself then take no notice of the reps as bar street is not all there is. The old town was delightful, the locals had painted every building and it was very pretty, especially with all the flowers. There were plenty of good restaurants here to enjoy the delicious local cuisine and entertainment.

There are plenty of things to do in Malia or within a short bus journey.
The bus stops on the main street just near the entrance to the hotel, to go in either direction, buy a return ticket and you can jump on and off the bus at different places on the way. You can also get the bus to and from the airport if you don't like the transfer times, it is very efficient and stops directly in the airport.

All in all a lovely hotel and place which has so much more to offer than we realised. Just ask the locals, who are so proud of their town, and you will find out so much more information about the area than through reps.

Room Tip: All rooms were excellent so depends on personal preference