As you can read from other reviews, Maria Rousse is fairly near to the strip at Malia, but not close enough to get overtaken by all the goings on. The rooms are basic, but larger than similar properties we have stayed in elsewhere in the Greek Islands. Our bathroom had solid shower screens, which means no shower curtain flapping about and sticking to you. The kitchen has a fridge, two hotplate electric cooker, but also electric kettle and toaster which was nice to see. Kitchenware was decent quality, and very usable for doing your own cooking.
As is usual, we were cleaned every other day, and the towels provided were always a decent size, clean and reasonable new. Our room had double-glazed windows, and also external shutters. These were effective at keeping the heat and sound out.
We opted for the air-conditioning (80 euros for 2 weeks), but I could imagine that this would not be needed for a slightly cooler time of the year. There is also a balcony for each apartment, as far as I could see, with table and chairs.
There is lots of room to put sunbeds out around the pool and on the grassed area, and mostly enough sun-brollys to go around. The pool is fairly small, and 2.8M deep at it's deepest, with only a fairly small section which is shallow enough to stand in. There is no children's pool.
George and Barbara, and the rest of the staff, are always very friendly and helpful. We also made use of the facilities in the main building to have a final shower and change before leaving for the airport, and were able to hang onto our room towels to do this, which was very handy.
For us, football holds no real interest, but it's on the TV's in the bar most nights at the start of the season.
We booked this about 3 weeks before departure, as it came up at a good price, and were not disappointed.
There are plenty of places to eat out in Malia, although you might find that getting Greek food can be difficult :-) , but if you go into the old town, there are tavernas there. One place I would not go back to is the Alexis Taverna, which is just in a side street opposite the church, and the Chinese restaurant just down the strip was not great for it's all you can eat buffet, but these were the only two instances where the food was not that good.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Maria Rousse Studios are in an ideal location, just off Malia Beach Road in a quiet area but close enough to enjoy the resorts nightlife. The beach is a relaxing ten minute stroll and the resort centre is also close enough to walk to with its shops, bars, restaurants and clubs. The airport is approximately a 25 minute taxi ride. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA so you can book your Maria Rousse Studios reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maria Rousse Studios Hotel Malia
- Maria Rousse Studios Malia, Crete