“A charming hotel with a unique character”
Review of Hotel Omiros

Hotel Omiros
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Hermoupolis
York, United Kingdom
“A charming hotel with a unique character”
Reviewed 17 July 2013

My husband, 4-month old daughter and I had the fortune to stay in the suite of the hotel. It is a spacious and charming room where the cot was placed in one room and we shared the adjacent double bedroom with balcony. It was clean, quiet and well organised. Staff were helpful and always there. Breakfast was delicious with nice strong coffee as it should be. Yes, the stairs to the hotel make it difficult to access, but you are rewarded with a unique view and environment. The owners have done an amazing job renovating this house and turning it into a hotel and was a trendsetter when it opened many years ago. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for peace and quiet and a lot of neoclassical character.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Greek first
Paros, Greece
Reviewed 29 October 2011

I made a reservation two weeks ago for October 28, 2011 and cancelled 5 days ago (October 24, 2011) due to the uncertainty of the boat strikes here in Greece. When I called to cancel the reservation, the man was very rude and told me it would be difficult to return my money. What money? I gave him my credit card but I have never heard of a hotel actually charging you money before you arrived. The card number is only in case one does not show up and then it is charged as a penalty. When I assured him that he would do his best to return the $65E ($83), he told me that it might not be possible since there is a 24-day cancellation window. Impossible! I have traffic extensively throughout Greece and the Balkans and I have never heard of this policy. 48 hours perhaps, but not 24 days. If someone asks for a place to stay on Siros I will steer them purposely away from this hotel. Shameful behavior.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank JohnDCM

Travellers are raving about these Hermoupolis hotels

Molokai, Hawaii
Reviewed 10 July 2011

Just as Syros is the antithesis of flashy Santorini and Mykonos, the Omiros (Homer) Hotel is the opposite of fancy. And I liked it a lot. I was somewhat leery of staying at the hotel after reading a couple of the negative TripAdvisor reviews. But my travel agent assured me the hotel was good and she was right. I chalk up the negative feedback to the reviewers’ situations and not to the Omiros. It is an old, (unintentionally) funky little place overlooking the harbor in the port town on Syros. In five days in the town, I think I heard English spoken twice. This is where the Greeks come to vacation and they aren’t vacationing much this year, so it was very quiet. The hotel is well-situated: Two blocks from the town square and then another block or so to the water. Omiros is clean and functional. If you go there, ask for a room on the top floor with a balcony. Rooms 26 and 27 are the best. The balconies are small, but so what? The view is perfect. This is NOT a five-star luxury hotel, so if you are looking for that, go to Santorini and pay $750 a night. The downsides: The breakfasts are no big deal (they are typical Greek breakfasts—cheese, juice and a slab of ham) and the walls are pretty thin so if there are noisy people, you’ll hear them. But I didn’t have this experience. For me it was a quiet, comfortable hotel with kind, nice proprietors. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank wandering_bob231
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 4 July 2011

The four stars given to this hotel do not originate from the hotel, but the agencies collecting hotel reservations on behalf of the hotel. The Greek classification is also different than the International hotel classification system. It really should be defined as a hostel with perhaps two stars.
Its merits lie with the beautiful old building, its location in the midst of the old town, next to the church and the charming people running it. We completely agree with that people with movement disabilities and families with small children should look elsewhere. The route from the town centre has many steps, even if the distance is just a few hundred meters. There are tree stories, a steep staircase and there is no elevator, because of building limitations. Even if my wife and I are senior citizens, we adjusted surprisingly well to climb up and down the stairs several times a day. There is no service except some morning hours. Therefore you really should announce your arrival in advance so that there is somebody at the door opening up and helping with the luggage.
We fully enjoyed our 10 day stay in the two room suite, with a balcony having a beautiful view over the town. Parking is difficult, but we always found some space on the extension of Omirou up the hill, passing the hotel. We spent a lot of time on the beach of Galissas, which found to be the best on the island, beach services included.
Some earlier comments suggested the rooms to be dirty and bathrooms awful. It makes us wonder, did we actually stay at the same hotel? All our special wishes were rapidly addressed and even the breakfast was tailored to our liking, thanks Chris and Marisina.

Room Tip: The suites were the best, rooms 26 and 27
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LorfHki
Oakville, ON
Reviewed 3 July 2011

I will have to admit that when we first arrived at this hotel I wanted to run however we had just arrived from our five star accommodations on Santorini so a hard act to follow. The place did however grow on us.

When we arrived we found the hotel locked however it was outside of business hours. One phone call to 'Chris' and his assistant arrived very quickly to check us in. We had booked a standard double with a seaview. Not the normal standard for seaview however we could see the port and beyond out into the Aegean. The room was standard with two twin beds together to make a king (normal for many rooms in Greece so not a problem for us). There was a tube TV mounted on the wall, a closet, two desks and two bedside tables. The bathroom was typical older style with a shower pad surrounded with a shower curtain.

Pros

1. Air conditioning worked great however you only have the ability to turn it off and on. It would have been nice to adjust the temperature however we do understand that 'some' guests will turn the temperature down quite low then leave the room unattended all day. Hydro is quite expensive, especially in the islands, so I understand this to an extent. No matter where we stay in Greece or elsewhere we always turn the air conditioning off during the day when we are out to conserve energy. Hotel rooms are small and do not take very long to cool when you return in the evening.

2. Location (also a con below). Very quiet location and we heard no noise at all at night. Also, as a female, felt very safe sitting outside the hotel on the bench enjoying the evening air by myself.

3. The hotel's assistant could not have been more lovely. The assistant (who's name I never got) was so attentive and friendly. She would jump out of her chair whenever we came down the stairs to see if there was anything she could do for us, did we need anything etc...

4. The owner was lovely as well. We came back after dinner one night and there was a 'baby' (read older toddler) who was screaming at the top of it's lungs at almost midnight in the room next to ours. He apologized about one hundred times and said he intended to deal with the situation. By the time we went to bed things had settled down and we were not disturbed. Upon departure he insisted on carrying my luggage outside and ensured that our taxi was waiting to take us to the port.

5. The inside of the hotel was beautiful with marble stairs and restored original fixtures. We found that the inn had maintained the historical feel of the past which was refreshing to see.

6. Nice common room. One afternoon dh needed to put his head down for a bit but I felt like reading and maybe watching a bit of TV. There is a common room which is very comfortable with a large selection of magazines in a number of languages to suit all. I spent about an hour and a half sitting there with my book and found the time very relaxing!!!!!

Cons

1. Location - as quiet as the location is, it is up the hill about 5 minutes. Not a bad walk to be honest however not in the heart of the port city. Certainly not wheelchair friendly but not onerous as some people have claimed (disclaimer - do not personally know their physical well being).

2. No WiFi - OK, not a really big deal however in this day and age it is a really nice plus to have for people trying to stay in touch for personal or business reasons. There is WiFi in a number of the port cafes.

3. There was not anywhere to unpack clothes really. We ended up living out of the suitcases however there was tons of floor room to spread them out so in the end it was OK.

4. The beds were typical hard Greek beds. A small investment in padded mattress covers would make a huge difference in comfort.

5. The shower, as mentioned, was a typical older style shower with a tiled pad surrounded by a shower curtain. I would have been nicer if there had been an investment into a glass surround (with the same floor space) as the curtain continuously got stuck to you as your tried to bath. At least with a glass surround it is fixed in place.

All in all this was not a bad hotel however there is some room for improvement which in my opinion will push them to the next level. As mentioned the owner and his assistant were great and kind beyond words.

In our conversations with some of the residents of Syros we learned that foreign tourism is something new to this island as it has traditionally been a government and commerce center not particularly accustom to foreign visitors.

If you are an experiences traveller in Greece and understand some of the older traditional inn of the country then you will find this hotel to be charming. If you are looking for a Marriott or Sheridan then you will be disappointed.

Welcome to answer any questions you may have.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank OakvilleTraveller99
Chania Town, Greece
Reviewed 30 May 2011

Its the first time I am writting a review for a hotel but I have to warn people.

I made a reservation to that hotel and 14 prior my arrival date I cancel it.
When I spoke to the man there he told me that he cant return me the money which I deposit to guarantee the reservation cause the cancellation policy is 21 days prior to arrival date...

I never received a confirmation saying that , their website says nothing about that and above all he was rude.. I have already hired a lawyer for that..

avoid at any cost... certainly not professionals

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank descent1
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 12 August 2010

We were completely fooled by the 4 stars and the hotel's site presentation which has nothing to do with reality. We were charged 110 eur/night for a triple room which was small, sheets and towels were old and overused(my sheet had holes!!). We stayed there 5 nights and they didn't change the sheets not even once, even though we kindly asked them to do so!! Believe it or not, the air condition control was trapped in a wooden box sealed by a locker so we weren't able to change temperature, fan speed etc., but only turn it on/off. Breakfast was the poorest i've ever seen. There weren't even enough tables to sit so some guests would have to wait for us to finish. I could continue forever with bad comments for this hotel - owner had promised us room with balcony which was not the case, didn't like his attitude, overall this hotel feels 'tired' and abandoned to its luck. BIG WASTE OF MONEY. We could have stayed in other hotels at the same price and enjoy much MUCH better amenitties i.e. hermes hotel. Next time will be more careful!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends