“Dissapointing to extremes”
Review of La Ripetta

La Ripetta
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Piano di Sorrento
Reviewed 1 August 2009

I visited La Ripetta with my school. The first impression of the room was bad as it was very dirty and unplesant. We then discovered that the toilet had no seat on it so was very uncomfortable and unhygenic. The view from the window was plesant during the day but at night there was a great deal of noise with cars honking and people shouting. After many trips to the beach which turned out to be more of a hike than a two step walk as there was many slopes leading down taking over 5 minuites. Then it was discovered that the rooms were not cleaned on a regular basis as sand was nevery being swept up. The only way for it to be cleaned was if me and my friends made a pile of it so that it would be very hard to miss. After many times of this we got fed up and went to reception and requested a broom as the sand and muck was unbearable. Due to the air conditioning being broken the room was stuffy. A very bad review to this hotel as too many faults were found! Italy lovely though!

• Stayed: May 2009
3  Thank loulourae

Reviewed 19 July 2008

A very nice stay for the price but be very aware of a few things. First, if you are staying in the summer time, for some reason they turn the AC off at 11 PM rather shuting it off during the day when you are usually not there. Secondly, be careful that if your room is in a certain spot (II believe our room was 109, and that probably was the temp in the room after 11) if you openned the small balcony doors (no screens so anything could fly in) you can hear the kitchen help till 3 AM banging pots and pans. Even if you shut the doors the vibration through the thin walls was unbearable. We asked for a fan and got it and they moved us later to a room farther from the kitchen. Be aware that there is not alot to do around the area and I would be careful about walking from the train station to the hotel at night. Not that it is dangerous, but it is dark and there are not alot of people around as you walk. So you lose on taxi fare into Sorrento. Otherwise, spend most of the daylight hours sightseeing. The staff is nice and helpful, breakfast room is beautiful, nice view. For 95 Euros sort of bargain

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BucksterC
Reviewed 7 April 2008

We cannot say enough good things about La Ripetta, None of us spoke Italian but that was no problem as all on reception speak excellent English , The Manager has to be one of the most obliging people you could ever meet in ANY hotel , We found La Ripetta spotless and even the cleaning lady greeted you with a smile , The food of course was excellent and the staff in that area also friendly and effecient , so, if you are thinking of visiting Sorrento ? don't mind the walk from Piano Di Sorrento to the main town of Sorrento , it will be well worth it to stay at La Ripetta.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 October 2007

This hotel was booked as part of my contiki trip. To say the least it was the worst experience I've ever had in my life. I was in room 105 and it was a corner room above the street. It was incredibly noisy at night well after 3am. Cars honking, people shouting and screaming a very busy street. The other side of the hotel I am sure is nice with the quiet ocean views but not our room. The beds are incredibly small. We also had an infestation of ants. i complained twice to the staff and they didn't seem to do anything about it and said they couldn't switch rooms because they were sold out. I was bit a couple times and am highly illergic to ants and had to take mass dosages of benadryll that I always bring with me. I also tried to sleep a little on the couch in the hallway until staff told me I couldn't. This place might be ok if I had a different room and no ants but I can't give this place any better rating. Plus the hotel staff did nothing to help out. The breakfast was terrible which consitsed of stale cerial and stale rolls and juice or coffee. No meat or anything. I wouldn't say here if you paid me to. I am sure others have had good stays but just stay away from the street side of this hotel. Its not worth the money.

• Stayed: September 2007
3  Thank Melanie W
Reviewed 20 September 2005

My wife and me had a short stay (3 nights) at La Ripetta Hotel and we loved our stay. We paid Euro 84 for a basic room. Plus another Euro 20 for a seaview room. It was definitely worth it. The room that we got (406) was right on the cliff overlooking the bay. Absolutely fantastic view. Two luxury cruise boats (plenty of them cruise around Amalfi coastline) parked a short distance away during our stay.

The hotel is located 8-9 minutes walking distance from Piano de Sorrento train station (which is 2 stops away from the main Sorrento station). It looks like a residential district which is great because I prefer to live in a quiet neighbourhood than the hustling bustling tourist area.

Trains between Piano de Sorrento and Sorrento run every 15 minutes and it takes only 3-4 minutes to reach Sorrento.

Rooms with a seaview in the main Sorrento area cost a fortune. I have stayed at hotels with fantastic seaviews all over the world but this was the first time that it was right on the cliff overlooking the bay which is why I would recommend you to spend the extra Euro 20.

Staff are very friendly. Very helpful with directions and other information. Breakfast was included and it was good. And the Italian fellow at the restaurant where the breakfast was served was always cheerful and helpful and humming tunes all the time (which in itself was a delight to hear).

I used 56k dialup to access my emails in the room. I got a clean connection line (50k minimum) everytime I used it.

I would highly recommend anyone to stay here and while you are there go and treat yourself to some delicious gelato (icecream) at the Bouganvilla Gelateria or Cafe on the main road in Sorrento. They have some incredible flavours. They even cater to vegetarians with their egg-free gelato.

Hotel walls dont seem that thin but as the previous reviewer wrote, you can hear practically everything going on in the next room. That's the only downside. They provide you with a small TV (all Italian programmes), desk and other basics.

I have even uploaded a shot taken from the room....Enjoy your stay.

• Stayed: September 2005
3  Thank Mike_HK
Reviewed 19 July 2005

I and my three friends stayed at La Ripetta. the rooms are small but clean and comfortable with air conditioning which is a must. It is in Piano de Sorrento which means it is not in Sorrento itself. There is a train station 5 mins walk from the hotel which will bring you into Sorrento in 5 mins at the cost of 1 euro. The trains go every 15 mins. The hotel has the nicest staff I have ever met. They are friendly and chatty and effecient and would do anything to try and make ur stay as pleasant as possible. There is a restaurant in the hotel and a bar all of which I would strongly recommend.

• Stayed: July 2005
2  Thank VickiCorkIreland
A TripAdvisor Member
Norwich, UK
Reviewed 28 June 2005

La Ripetta is good value for money. It has recently been renovated and is nicely done. The staff are very friendly and helpful and the views are amazing. The negative points I would mention are the fact that, in addition to the 20 minute walk to the station, it is a short train ride into Sorrento and the last train back is at 10.25pm, and taxis are very expensive (25 euro plus). So think twice about staying here if you plan to be living it up in Sorrento every night! Also, the walls are very thin and it can be noisy, so pack some earplugs. Apart from that, it is a very pleasant place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2005
1 mi away
Fiori d'Arancio
Fiori d'Arancio
#12 of 12 in Piano di Sorrento

Been to La Ripetta? Share your experiences!