“Great first night”

Gli amici della piazzetta
Ranked #11 of 49 Restaurants in Moneglia
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Montevideo, Uruguay
“Great first night”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We went last night. The restaurant was open while the other with higher ranking were still closed. It is a simple place but we has a super tasty and warm night. Daniello was very kind and attentive as well as his father. The food was very good, we had anchovies marinadas and carpaccio first and then great pasta, ravioli al fungi and spagetthi al frutti del mare. They also recommended a good moltepucciano, full body as we liked. Finally the nicest grappa we ever had, no harsh, very gentle to drink.
All in all super recommendable, we may go back as Daniello will bring fresh lobsters this week!! Thanks

• Visited April 2014

Brussels, Belgium
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good, fresh Italian food”
Reviewed 9 August 2013

We had to reserve a table for this restaurant was fully booked on a regular monday night. This and the good reviews on tripadvisor made us curious. The high expectations were set...

As soon as we got our first courses, these expectations were fulfilled. Everything was as fresh as can be (we taught so, there wasn't very much choice on the menu). I had a pasta pesto. A very simple dish. Even this had me amazed!

The mains are mostly fish dishes (frito misto,...) but there was also a steak dish. I chose the latter and was pleasantly surprised. It was easily the best steak I ever ate. It wasn't a big piece of meat but I enjoyed eating every single bite. I was sad to eat the last piece!

The rest of my company took fish dishes and had the same experience.

It's a fish restaurant that is able to please meat lovers!

The only downside was the price. It was a little pricey. I didn't have the feeling that we spend too much money though! It was worth every penny!

I can't speak for the desserts because we had more than enough after two courses!

Also: The service was very good. Like other reviews point out: family like hospitality.

• Visited August 2013
Geelong, Australia
“A Little out-of-the-way Gem”
Reviewed 1 June 2013 via mobile

This little out of the way place was recommended by a couple of fellow guests at the Hotel Abbadia San Giorgio where we were staying
We followed their recommendation - and found them there before us!
Simply a delightful family restaurant - Nonna in the Kitchen, Poppa just "pottering" which he seemed to do very well, and their son who was the waiter and sommelier.
Communications were more by good will then any thing else - but we all got on really very well
One of the best meals we have had anywhere for a very long time, and the wine they offered was a superb Sauvignon blanc for €16! I also had a glass of the house red - would that I could get a hold of the cask from whence it came.
Would I go again - surely I would

Visited May 2013
Houston, TX
“Mmm...calamarata!!”
Reviewed 30 May 2013 via mobile

I visited Moneglia for the first time today. I read TripAdvisor recommendations and decided to have lunch at Gli Amici della piazzetta. I arrived as they were closing early because so few guests were here with the rain right before 2;00, (THE RAIN THESE DAYS!) but I pleaded my way in. I wanted a simple lunch. The waiter, the owners' son, suggested calamarata. Loved it! It was cleverly conceived--fat rings of calamari mimicked the shaped of the tubular pasta, cooked fresh, hot and yummy. The dish had also pomodoro ciliegino, ripe cherry tomatoes, halved, some olive oil and a few slivers of garlic. Simple perfection. I like a bit of heat, so the son brought a little bottled oil with chili (peperoncini.) that, a glass of serviceable house white wine, and I was a very happy diner. The calamarata reminded me if a sweet dish I saw a pastry chef execute with similar creativity: chef made two eggy custards, one deep orangey and the other, white. It was served in a clean empty egg shell, scooped in like a real egg would appear if you broke off the egg top. The pasta here was like this: unless you look closely, you are unsure if the ring is of squid or pasta. Delightful!

The son speaks a little English. His family is quite passionate about food. He described how his mother really thinks about how to prepare each menu item. Son was so sute, showing me photos on his iPhone of various menu items his mother has created. The dad and son run front of the house, but the mother seemed like The Boss. A lovely, a "molto gentile" one. Mama is cooking in a fairly open kitchen. I loved this hospitable little place.

I almost had lunch at a place along the sea, but as usually the case, the better the location, the more "blah" the food appeared to me as I passed by.

Highly recommend Gli Amici della piazzetta.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank lanago2
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Cooking with love”
Reviewed 18 May 2013

This is Ligurian home cooking at its absolute best. Mama is in charge in the kitchen (just watch!), Papa fetches and carries, and gets admonished every now and then, and the son is the waiter - his English is good and he is accomplished in choosing the right wine etc to go with the meal. We were with friends - one of whom is chef in a Swiss hotel and knows his onions so to speak - and he wanted to go back there - which we did - three times in the week! Try the calamarata - it's a winner. Also try the perfect mussels. Check the chilled cabinet by the door and if you can spot a tray of panna cottas, go for them - they are the best ever, anywhere, and they come as a set of three! This is a real place, run all year round by real people and it really is cooking with love.

• Visited May 2013