“Fantastic view, great hosts, perfect stay”

Sussurri Di Mare / SeaWhispers
Ranked #1 of 13 Moneglia B&B and Inns
Germany
“Fantastic view, great hosts, perfect stay”
Reviewed 18 September 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at Sussurri di Mare for two entire weeks in August/September 2013. Moneglia turned out to be a very good starting point for trips to the nearby Cinque Terre, to Santa Margherita Ligure, Portofino, Camogli as well as to Genoa. All of these locations are easily accessible by train. Travelling by train is probably the best and cheapest way to get around.

“Sussurri di Mare” is located halfway up a hill with an amazing view over the town and the bay. The way down to the village is a little steep in places, but the view and the tranquility are definitely worth it. The B&B has only two rooms: a small suite which consists of a bedroom and a living room with a kitchenette with a fridge, a water heater and a toaster oven, and a twin bedded room. We have stayed in the lower level suite where we could prepare simple meals. Breakfast with fresh figs and grapes was served under a pergola in the beautiful garden each morning.

The hosts, Pat and Alex (and 2-year-old dog Pica), were just wonderful. They offered us rides down to the village and the train station and gave us tips what to see in the surrounding area and where to eat.

We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Inka F

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed with Patty and Alex for two nights in August, during our 10 day Italian holiday. After a busy few days in Rome and Florence, Sussuri Du Mare was just what we needed! Their beautiful place is perched on top of a hillside with amazing views of the bay below. As soon as we arrived we were shown to our lovely room - a double bedroom ensue with a sitting area. Not sure what to do first Patty showed us the short path down to the beach, so off we went for an evening dip. The little town Moneglia is just a short, steep walk away - Alex recommended some great places for food here - some of the best we ate! During our stay, we spent a day in the nearby Cinque Terre, which was one of the best parts of our holiday. Patty and Alex made it all so easy - helping us with train timetables, routes and ferries. I would recommend their place to anyone and hope it's not too long before we can go back again!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Somerset, Bermuda
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Staying with Patty and Alesandro at Sussuri di Mare for two entire weeks was an amazing experience. Returning to many of the towns in this beautiful Ligurian region that I had visited many years before was like a dream. Amazing hosts, beautiful surroundings, memorable walks, including the return path to Portofino were highlights. Adding to this was the now new memory of walking the Cinque Terre trail, through ancient hillside towns along the sea. New and old experiences have made me long to return again just as soon as possible.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Mary8272
Camden, Paget, Bermuda
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I am a solo traveller and I can't thank Pat and Alex enough for being such wonderful hosts during the week I spent in th Cinque Terre. They certainly made it a very memorable experience. I based myself there and did lots of day trips to the surrounding areas based on the great suggestions they gave me on what to do and to see. They helped me plan and gave me schedules for the trains. I would particularly recommend Lucca. I also went to Santa Margherita and Portofino. I did not hire a car so travelling by train was convenient and very affordable. I also did a trip to Florence. Their place is a short walk up the hill from the train station - it takes only about 10 minutes. The breakfast (and americanos) were delicious and sustaining. The suite itself was meticulously clean and there is a pull out sofa in the living area so two friends could easily share.

All your needs are catered for. The view of Moneglia from their place is magnificent, as is the view from the terrace where I ate breakfast every morning. Moneglia is a lovely town - it is laid-back, has a nice beach and a walkway for strolling along the waterfront. For me, what I loved the most was the quality of the sleep I had. Their place backs on to woods which means that it is completely silent at night. I live in Bermuda so as much as i think tree frogs are cute - they do sometimes keep you awake at night with their night chorus.

I felt so rested after my stay there and people did comment on that. Great food, great wine, culture and felt so rested at the end. Staying at Sussurri di Mare with Pat and Alex was truly a great experience..

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank anita p
West Coast
Reviewed 30 June 2013

My husband and I stayed at Sussurri di Mare for six days in May in the middle of a whirlwind European holiday. It was the perfect place to relax in the beautiful Ligurian landscape and hike on the nearby trails.
Sussurri di Mare is situated above the town of Moneglia and the Mediterranean Sea. There are fantastic views from several secluded gardens and balconies where delicious breakfasts were served each morning. What a way to start a day—great food in a beautiful setting.
We stayed in the downstairs apartment which has a living room with a view, a small kitchen alcove with fridge, sink, coffee maker and toaster oven which is convenient for preparing light meals, a bedroom (the bed was very comfortable) with plenty of storage and good bathroom. The shower was great with high pressure and plenty of hot water.
There were very few insects outside when we were there but Sussurri di Mare is in the countryside so we were glad there were window screens. There is a big flat screen TV with lots of English language channels in the bedroom and we made good use of the free Wi-Fi.
Both owners: Alex, an Italian who grew up in the area and Patty, an ex-pat American who has lived in Moneglia for several years, know and love Italy and were truly happy when they were able to help us with train schedules, cafes and restaurants, shopping, and walking the Cinque Terre and other tracks. It was so easy to get around by train, Patty and Alex gave us good advice on short trips in the surrounding area. My husband and I split our stay in two and travelled to Florence and Lucca in the middle. When we got back to Sussurri di Mare it was like returning home.
Sussurri di Mare is a perfect place to spend a holiday and Patty and Alex were perfect hosts, we'll certainly go back.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank clarebs
Mosta, Malta
Reviewed 11 June 2013

the views of land and sea from this B&B, perched in the hillside of one of the villages considered as one of the most beautiful in italy are breath taking. the location may be a bit hard to reach, but the advantage of that is that its surroundings are not over run bu tourists...

alex and pat(and pika the dog!) are excellent hosts, preparing a lovely breakfast to complement the view and serenity...both rooms are carefully deocrated and spotless.

we would definitely loved to have stayed longer, and to return!

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stefan G
Penticton, Canada
Reviewed 26 May 2013

This is the most wonderful place to stay during a trip to the Cinque Terre. I stayed with my girlfriend for 4 nights and Pat and Alex made it an absolutely splendid experience. As young people traveling together, it's difficult to find accommodation to suit our needs, but Pat and Alex treated us so well and were the most helpful hosts imaginable. The breakfast (and cappuccinos) were great, but our hosts went above and beyond - they were more than willing to give us pointers on how to avoid crowds, where the best sites were (both in the Cinque Terre and the surrounding area) and their favourite restaurants in the area. They helped us plan out our hiking routes for the day, and gave us schedules for the trains, which were super convenient and affordable. Pat and Alex's place is a short walk up the hill from the train station - it takes only about 10 minutes. The suite itself was clean, quiet and had more than enough space for the two of us, with a comfortable bed and all the amenities you could imagine. The view of Moneglia from the suite was breath-taking, as was the view from the terrace where we ate breakfast each morning. Moneglia was my favourite town compared to the Cinque Terre - it was much more laid-back, has a fantastic beach and a nice walkway along the waterfront. Overall, this was a splendid experience staying at Sussurri di Mare with Pat and Alex.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Moneglia
Hotel Mondial
#7 of 12 in Moneglia
Hotel Miramare Sestri Levante
Hotel Miramare Sestri Levante
#5 of 22 in Sestri Levante

Been to Sussurri Di Mare / SeaWhispers? Share your experiences!