“Popular with the locals - this is no tourist trap !”
Review of La Contea

La Contea
Ranked #17 of 233 Restaurants in Modica
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The location in the heart of Modica Bassa makes this restaurant a great venue !. The vast choices of pizza is quite extraordinary and the fact that most of the diners were Modicani assures the visitor that La Contea is an authentic Sicilian pizza place !
The staff is most courteous ; the food is freshly prepared and the prices are reasonable . The internal decor is crisp , minimalist and refreshing , while the air-conditioning worked beautifully on a hot August evening. Our family group included noisy toddlers , though the staff showed absolutely no signs of impatience even though we were there on a very busy Sunday evening .Definitely recommended !

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Outdoor seating in a tucked away pedestrian street, not too far from the duomo. The pizza I tried, the Pachino, has the local cherry tomatoes, fresh buffalo mozzarella, prosciutto, and basil. It is the best pizza I've had in recent memory, I think mostly due to the freshness of the tomatoes which were in season when I visited. The local craft beer is on tap, and the seating is in an awesome pedestrian only side street. Really a great place for a quick bite.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We were taken there by our Sicilian friend who said it was his favourite restaurant and we were not disappointed. The interior of the restaurant is classy, even the sink in the toilet is classy!I liked the choice of pizzas and the fact you could order small or large. I ate every bit of my pizza with porcini mushrooms on top, in fact looking round we all have empty plates! The wine was lovely, house wine can be awful, this was not. I felt the atmosphere and the friendly staff also made the experience so good and I will go back next time I'm in Modica. Well done, La Contea.

Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

The pizzeria is set in nice old rooms and the service was good. However the pizzas were average or in fact poor by Italian standards.

It was recommended to us by a young receptionist at our hotel and the demographic in the restaurant was definitely young people, who all seem to have a plate of French Fries for a starter with mountains of ketchup or mayonnaise. Some even had French Fries on their Pizza!

Perhaps the French Fries are outstanding, but the Pizza certainly is not.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Nothing to say to the service and the restaurant. However pizza was average. It's not the best pizza I've ever had. Toppings are of good quality but the pasta in itself isn't great. Plus to my half gave a bad sleep.