“Inspirational relaxation, Tuscan style”
Review of Quercia al Poggio

Quercia al Poggio
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Inspirational relaxation, Tuscan style”
Reviewed 29 September 2010

Even if you never touched a paintbrush in your life, staying at Quercia al Poggio will surely inspire you to new creative summits. The Tuscan colours and wonderful views are a feast for the eye and Quercia offers the visitor all of the above as a daily treat. Floating gently in the pool under a blue sky one is offered a grand view over the rolling Tuscan hills. Fruit trees and fresh rosemary all around you can save you a trip down the hill to the supermarket when you feel lazy at the end of the day. Staying at Quercia in early september offered the combination of warm weather and fewer guests. Most days we had the pool to ourselves so we had all day to figure out our daytrips or just what dinner in our greatly furnished apartment would look like. Starry skies over our terrace offered a matching desert at our candlelit dinnertable. The trip up to Quercia's hilltop is a feast of driving in itself. From the freeway a curvy road takes you up for a ten minute ride past cypresses, vinyards and through pinewoods with hidden homes behind them. In between Florence and Siena Quercia is conveniently situated for daytrips. Even the beach is quite reachable if you want a taste of the Mediterranean. Together with their staff, owners Michela and Vittorio offer the guests a warm feeling of hospitality that you take home to cherish until your next visit. And a next one there will certainly be!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
michelarossi, Responsabile reception at Quercia al Poggio, responded to this review, 14 March 2011
Thank you Quinten for being so kind, like always you are. The pictures you posted are so nice, we couldn't do better!

We wait for you next time you travel in Italy.

Giordana

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 15 September 2010

The staff at Quercia were so welcoming and went over and above to accommodate us! The villa we stayed in was roomy and had a gorgeous terrace to relax on for breakfast and after dinner. The pool area was divine, with beautiful views and the tennis court, table tennis and table soccer were also popular. Not having a DVD player and TV was a great thing - we played loads of cards and had lots of fun!
The nearby little town of San Donato was lovely - great for dinner (lovely quiet town even during late August) and has a fabulous little gelato shop!
Location was handy to Poggobonsi (for necessities, etc), Siena, San Gimignano and Florence.
We can also recommend the horse riding organised through Quercia - we had a delightful lesson for two for only 40 Euros.
Complimentary winery tour and tasting at Quercia was very worthwhile and interesting (and the wine was great!)
Fabulous fruit trees were a highlight for the children - we were invited to eat the figs and dates - kids loved this! the gardens also were exceptional - very pretty and romantic.
Car essential (as for most Tuscany holidays I'm sure) - heaps of free parking space at the villa.
It was great to have free Wi-Fi access (even worked for our I-Phone 4, which wasn't always the case at other places we stayed)
Beautiful!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Dear family ( I won't write the name just for privacy but I remember you very well),
thank you so much for your review.
We have been so happy to read that your stay at Quercia al Poggio has been so nice and we hope to welcome you here again even if you are not really after the corner :))
We have been surprised and laughed reading that you were able to use I-Phone 4 because it seemed you were the only one last summer ;)

Thank you again and kisses to the kids.

Los Angeles
Reviewed 29 July 2010

I planned my destination wedding at this beautiful estate, and it exceeded my wildest dreams. Michela, who is the owner of the estate, was also my wedding coordinator for the event, and she did an amazing job with the help of her two wonderful assistants. My family and my husband's family rented out the entire estate for a week, and I highly recommend the same to anyone who is wanting to plan a destination wedding in beautiful Tuscany.

The rates were affordable, and it was nice to have the whole place to ourselves. The rooms were spacious, clean and very comfortable with full working kitchens and washing machines for laundry. The owners of the estate have made many improvements to the property including two gorgeous pools that have incredible views of Tuscany. There is ping pong, billiards, a sport court for soccer or tennis, and of course a wine tour to enjoy while you are staying there. The Chianti classico wine they make onsite was outstanding, and it was so easy to just order up another case of it whenever we wanted to drink some more.

The pictures of this place do not even do it justice, and it was even more beautiful than I had hoped for before heading over there. We had our wedding on the grass with a stunning view of the valley and vineyards around us. We had our cocktail hour at the pool with views of the valley and vineyards as well. The wedding dinner was held in the courtyard under a tent with dancing under the stars.

Everything about how Michela helped plan my wedding was top notch, from the catering recommendations, to the photographer, to the flowers (which were absolutely gorgeous), to the decorations around the reception area. I really could not have asked for a more wonderful wedding coordinator and host for my dream wedding.

I highly recommend to anyone wanting to plan a destination wedding in Tuscany, that they consider reserving Quercia al Poggio, and my family and husband and I all intend to stay in touch with the owners and return to stay with them in the future. I really cannot say enough good things about our week there, and my wedding there.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Dear Elizabeth,

it seemed yesterday you were here for your wedding! We have never thanked you a lot for your reviews on tripadvisor, so thank you very much we have really appreciated.

We would be very pleased to welcome you and Ray again, maybe in three or four? Let's hope so!

westfield nj
Reviewed 10 July 2010

We stayed in apt #4 while attending a wedding onsite -- what a wonderful week! Enjoyed wine tasting,; cooking lessons with a local Tuscan chef; relaxing by the pool; day trips to Florence, Siena and San Gimignano. The staff was very friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
Thank you very much for this positive reviews, we really hope to welcome you here again not only for weddings :)))

Gent
Reviewed 10 July 2010

We had a lovely stay in QAP. Very beatiful place in the chianti area where life seams to go at half speed. The girls at the reception as well as the owners are multilingual, which is very convenient.
We were staying in capella 4 : very big bedroom, nice kitchen (SMEG cooking device, big fridge). Minor disadvantages, which actually didn't bother us that much, were the small bathroom and the kitchen gear is limited.
Further : nice swimming pool (very big) with an gorgeous view, tennis/soccer area, table tennis, bbq facilities, very good wine and olife oil produced in house

Recommendation :
- rent a vespa and go sightseeing the whole chianti area => it's amazing!!
- have something with you for the mosquito's
- don't eat in san gimignano !

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for this very positive reviews. We have taken not of it and from this year we are going to add some gear into the kitchen and work agains mosquitos even if, as you know, we are in the country. We are an organic winery so we don't want to use chemical products agains them, better live through nature!

We hope we will welcome you here again.

Goirle
Reviewed 17 June 2010

The service was very good. Appartement was clean and nice. The location is exceptionally beautiful and quiet. Very large pool.

The estate produces very good wine!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear Mirte,

thank you so much for your reviews we have appreciated.

We hope we will welcome you soon again

Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 13 June 2010

We spent a short week (7 nights) in May at this charming & magical place. If I could I would keep the place a secret but I wish the owners only well so I am willing to reveal my impressions :-) I really don't understand why there aren't more reviews here, maybe other people want to keep the place a secret as well! My only true regret was not having stayed longer or having had perhaps the Volcano in Iceland delay our stay! The time went by just so quickly. I also would have liked to walk around the valley & area but it was just too muddy due to the heavy rainfall. We stayed at the Proneta 1 house/ apartment (I believe they call it an apartment because it was once a large villa, which they've broken up into apartments). BTW, you don't even notice the neighbors, we occasionally ran into them upon coming back from our day trips in the area and of course while we were barbequing. It was definitely more like being in a house than an apartment. The view was simply spectacular and refreshing, nestled between olive groves and the vineyard!
We were a family of four (two girls aged 10 and 6) and my in-laws (six of us in all). None of us had ever been to Italy, let alone Toscana. For me it was just as I had pictured Toscana, including the house. We could not have found such a place on our own, there are thousands of agrotourisms in Toscana and picture on the net aren't always as nice in reality, I was so glad we went through our local agent. But if you're reading this you can stop here, you won't need an agency to help you. If you want to explore Chianti or be in easy driving distance to Firenze, this is the place for you.
The pluses, there are so many I hope I don't forget anything: 1) there was a small playground just outside the house, more for my 6 year old with a small slide and a swing. 2) no TV or radio or Wi-Fi connection in the house (although I found this to be a plus, I think the girls found it to be a minus, but they adjusted just fine). 3) a pool with the most wonderful view of the valley (it had just opened when we were there, but unfortunately it was just to cold to swim). 4) It was so quiet around us that I fell asleep with ease 5) you are not that far away from a supermarket, but due to the fact that the estate is deeply nestled in the countryside you feel as if you are 6) the barbeque was area, close to the house, was nicely organized and easy to work with. 7) fresh herbs around the area 8) both a dishwasher and a washing machine(this is important if you have kids) 9) I believe there is wine tasting on the estate, but we didn't participate (there is a definatley one up the road) 10) Our neighbors had ordered a cook to come to their house and cook an authentic Tuscany meal for them, I also believe that you can request the owners to organize a massage for you 11) the heating worked wonderfully, it was quite chilly even in May, we needed to use it almost everyday. 12) no lack of hot water, even with all six of us and the girls taking advantage of the bath (although you may find the shower a bit small) 13) great kitchen supplies 14) Magnificent (and I don't hardly ever use this word) views 15) loved the rustic & simply interior of the house

minuses: not many as I said, but just a few: 1) some people may find it annoying that there is a washing machine but no dryer (me being used to hanging my clothes outside on a line, this didn't bother me as there was a washing line available). 2) it took us some time to work out how to use the gas stove, make sure you ask about this (however silly this may sound). 3) we didn't have an emergency number to contact one of the owners if need be, only the office number (Saturday evening & Sunday of course is there time off as well) 4) there wasn't really enough glasses, cups and bowls for six people, meaning there were six but it would have been nice to have twelve. 5) one of the rooms was a bit damp (near the entrance), but this we were told was due to the heavy rainfall earlier in the year and remember these are pretty old houses 6) the thermostat from the heater didn't go off completely when you switched the "off" button, you really had to turn down the temp. to like 15 degrees AND turn it to the "off" position as well

Tips: make sure you ask them to arrange a small food basket for you upon arrival so that you don't have to run off to the supermarket the moment you arrive (we didn't know about this and had to run off to the super since the following day, Sunday, everything was closed).
Make sure you buy the essentials at the supermarket, including toilet paper. Remember this isn't a hotel, it's a vacation rental so you need to supply yourself with the basics.
If you're worried that your kids will be bored, in my opinion unless you simply stay at the house the whole week, they'll be so tired from the day trips that it won't matter and anyway there's so much to explore in the area by just walking around (something we couldn't really do because it was wet and muddy around)
I will recommend this place to all of my friends and wish I could fly over and spend two weeks in the summer here! (that probably wouldn't be enough either....)
ENJOY!
La Dolce Vita!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank EAW2010
giordanagozzini, Responsabile reception at Quercia al Poggio, responded to this review, 21 March 2011
Dear Sigal, Sharon, Sofia, Michal,

what can we say? I don't know who of you wrote this fantastic report but can we thank you all?

We have been very pleased to welcome you here at Quercia al Poggio, what about a new visit? We will do a special wine tasting for you since you couldn't partecipate. We took note about the good and the little critics you wrote, thinking that it is always very important to listen and to understand the position of the guest.

Hoping to welcome you again.

Quercia al Poggio
Borghetto di San Filippo
Borghetto di San Filippo
#2 of 6 in Barberino Val d'Elsa
Torre di Ponzano - Chianti area - Tuscany -
Torre di Ponzano - Chianti area ...
#3 of 12 in Barberino Val d'Elsa
Villa San Filippo Resort
Villa San Filippo Resort
#7 of 12 in Barberino Val d'Elsa

Been to Quercia al Poggio? Share your experiences!