I enjoyed my stay at Antico Podere Marciano very much. We stayed for 4 nights in September and it was exactly what I was looking for. That being said if you come to stay here you need to realize that this is a B and B and not a 5 start luxury full service hotel. You are definitely off the beaten path as you have read in other reviews. My first drive down the long white road was a little intimidating, being I was in a rental station wagon not meant for these road conditions. I soon got used to the road and like a previous reviewer mentioned I actually started to enjoy the road ( would have even more in dune buggy ).
My complete honest review overall:
The Good ( and some Great ): 1 ) Federico and Maurzio are wonderful friendly people trying their hardest to make their guests feel comfortable and at home
2) The place is beautiful, our room had a great balcony overlooking miles of open space and exactly what I was looking for in a stay in Tuscany
3) The Breakfast was excellent..disregard the review on the bad food..I consider myself a food snob from New York City, and their country meals should please most people ( very subjective though )
4) Our favorite experience, not only of this vacation, but of most of our vacations was the Wine Trek offered by Maurizio. We went on a 2 hour hike through the woods and vineyards, led by Maurizio and the family's 2 dogs ( very friendly, extremely trained dogs ). Along the way, we learned a lot from Maurizio and we had a lot of laughs. He even showed us the ruins of an ancient castle hidden in the woods that was still breaking down. We ended at a castle that is a wine producer, where we were taken on a tour of the facilities and had wine tastings paired with meats and cheeses in the dining hall. It was mentioned that not many people take advantage of this tour but if you are staying here, you should definitely take advantage of this offering. ( you should be in semi healthy condition for the hike) Ask about it in an email
5) The Pool..We didn't use it but I laid out there for a couple of hours near sunset and it is beautiful
The not as good ( i Won't use the word bad because they don't deserve that)
1) Federica and Maurzio are running this B and B, but at the same time are caring for their family and attending to their home. Federica makes herself as available as possible, but don't expect her to drop everything and cater to you 24/7. She was around plenty and we really enjoyed the half hour she took to sit and speak with us so we can all get to know each other, but she might not be there for you at the exact second you need her. ( We were fine with this, but as a traveler you need to know what your expectations should be) We were a bit disappointed that we didn't see Maurizio again after the trek. We really enjoyed his company and was hoping to spend a little more time with him. Again he has a day job, so he can't be there for you whenever you wish.
2) When we arrived we realized that we only had a bath tub with a handle to bathe. We really like overhead showers, so I asked if I can have some tape to secure the handle for a shower. Maurizio got this for me immediately and IU was very thankful. I spent 20 minutes taping it up and was happy. The next day the cleaning person took it down and took the tape away. I think the service person should have been told to keep it up. all about communication
3) At breakfast There were 4 of us. The rule of the house is that you get 1 Espresso or Cappuccino per day, per person. One of our friends wasn't having hers so she ordered it and gave it to me. I was charged for it because I had 2, even though we had 4 for the table. Wasn't the end of the world, but I thought it was not right.
4) The dogs were barking late at night. Possible to keep you up.
All in all, I highly recommend this place. No place is 100% perfect for everyone, but if you are looking for the real authentic experience of living in the countryside of Tuscany with an amazing family, this is the place to
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com and Travel Republic (UK) so you can book your Antico Podere Marciano reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Antico Podere Marciano Tuscany, Italy