“Great place but not up to standard”

Villa San Filippo Resort
london
“Great place but not up to standard”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2010

The appartment was spacious and quite comfortable but had very small windows so it was very dark - we were on the north side away from the view. The housekeeping could have been significantly improved - missing light bulbs were not replaced and it appreared the room was checked superficially each day. I used the toilet off reception - no paper or towels were available.

Breakfast was satisfactory - outside on the terrace with a wonderful view. We had 2 dinners which were both extremely disappointing and not worth the money. Although the restaurant was in itself pleasant, they had a radio playing which spoilt the atmosphere.

The drive to Siena was easy but it took us 50 minutes to find a parking space - we had been told there would not be a problem by reception.

The location was lovely and thetre was a good pool - a bit noisy at imes - but they were not making the best of the hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank LondonCatb

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Hebrew first
chelmsford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2010

We stayed at Villa San Filippo with 60 of our closest friends and family for our wedding. We hired the place out for the weekend and the villa organised for us to have meals every night. The rooms are stunning, beautifully furnished and clean - lovely shower rooms and kitchens. We had Il Balcone, with panoramic views seen from the balcony.

The food, cooked by Fernando, a legend, was superb. Marcella, at reception, was so organised and made everything run so smoothly. The other staff could not be more helpful and friendly, nothing was too much trouble for them. The setting is outstanding, with rolling Tuscan hills and a wonderful infinity pool.

Quite simply, it is the most beautiful place ever and I cannot recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed May 2010
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2010

We came right after Easter and were lucky to get probably the best accommodation in the villa. The view from our balcony was stunning!
Our apartment had 2 bedrooms, living room and a kitchenette with all necessary equipment, so you can cook.
The villa is kept in immaculate condition, breakfast is good, and stuff is helpful.
You need to have a car to stay here, but you can use buses and train to reach cities as Florence and Siena.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2009

My friends had a fairytale wedding in the garden overlooking the valley. The most beautiful wedding I have been fortunate to have witnessed. The staff were fabulous, the rooms were a good size, the position was awesome, the restaurant food was superb! (book at reception in the morning first tho :) We would visit again if we travel through Tuscany again.

• Stayed October 2009
Hasselt, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2009

My friend and I stayed at Villa San Filippo for 9 nights and were very pleased with the accomodation. We were given a suite while we booked a double room, the staff was very friendly and made sure that we enjoyed our stay. The villa is located in a calm place, on a Tuscan hill and has no fewer than three well kept swimming pools. Read more about our experiences, also with local villages and restaurants in the surrounding region of the villa at http://www.iloveilike.com.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2008

My husband, 10 year old son, and I stayed at Villa San Filippo for 8 nights in June and we were very pleased, to say the least. We had a lovely, immaculate 2nd level apartment with living room kitchen , 2 bedrooms, and a vey nice modern bathroom with tile shower, panoramic views of the grounds, pools, the hills, vineyards, etc.--just spectacular. We had a small but equipped kitchen that was perfect for us and we used it to prepare light meals from time to time and to make sure we had snacks and cold drinks for our son. The service was very good--in particular, Marco was very gracious and helpful as was Marcella. They were available and personable to us when we needed them yet were not intrusive in any way. VSF provides laundry service as well (for a fee, of course), which was very efficient--sent three loads of laundry out and it was returned to me cleaned and folded in less than a day. The continental breakfast set up buffet style each morning (inculde in the price of the room) was quite fine and sitting out on the terrace to eat was a lovely way to start the day. There are lots of wedding celebrations there on the weekends, so parking can be a bit tricky Friday eve-Sunday, and there is more commotion at those times, but this was minor. We ate dinner at the restaurant once, the night we arrived, and they were very accomodating to us, but I must say that the food was not great, esp. for the price. I would highly recommend Villa San Filippo and I would return there again (I hope I do!). It was a great location, too, right in the heart of Chianti, making it a relaxing and beautful "haven" after traveling and exploring throughout the day (you do need a car there) So serene, and we woke every morning to the chatter of song birds. We'd open the curtains, throw open the shutters, and take in the breathtaking view of the morning mist settling in the valleys as the sun rose above the hills. The ground are nicely groomed landscaped with pretty gardens. The pools were very nice, too, and we used them daily, even if the water wass a bit chilly (needs to be heated, I think--also, I was glad I brought my own pool towels as extra towels cost extra). But this was perfect for my son and my husband, who got his exercise each morning doing laps in the big pool. It is also noteworthy, for families considering this place, the the 3 pools have different depths--one larger & deeper, one that was only that was just deep enough to reach my son's shoulders, and one shallow wading pool for very young kids. I think this is a great place for families as much as for adults without children. We very much enjoyed our stay and I was very sad to leave!

• Liked — The beautiful immaculate rooms and view
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Moscow
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2008

First, the good stuff. Beautiful location, lovely views, charming interior (albeit in the ubiquitous Tuscany-by-numbers style) and a clean room. Fortunately these are also available in other, more scrupulous establishments.

Now, the rest. The reception is basically unmanned for most of the day (despite signs telling you otherwise). Luckily there was someone there to check us in, but after that nobody for several hours (in mid- to late afternoon). I eventually got what I needed (codes for internet access in the room) in the early evening, but throughout our stay we saw guests basically having to forage for themselves behind the reception area.

If you're part of one of the raucous wedding parties the whole experience is probably great fun, but if you're hoping to get a night's sleep you will need very good earplugs. On two nights (out of four) we were kept awake until the early hours by shouting and slamming doors. This is more the fault of inconsiderate guests than the hotel, of course, but a well-run establishment would take steps to look after the interests of its other guests. Needless to say, here there was nobody to be seen.

The parking is inadequate; every evening the place allocated to our apartment was occupied by another car, and we were left squeezed up against the wall of the driveway, unable to open the passenger door and at risk of getting scratched or worse. The breakfast would barely satisfy pre-school children at break time.

Worst of all, though, I have been amazed to find that the hotel helped itself to various sums on my credit card after our departure. On the day after we left, the agreed room rate (EUR 830 for four nights) was debited from my card, then separately a further EUR 500 was debited without any basis or explanation. Three days later the hotel contacted me to say that they had been unable to collect payment and asked for another card(!). Foolishly, in retrospect, I gave them details of another card in good faith and - yes - another EUR 830 was taken from that. So, EUR 2160 taken from my cards for a four-night stay.

I wouldn't call them crooks until they've had more opportunity to put this right (not that they are currently showing any urgency). I would call them shabby, disorganised and rude. Go with deep pockets, low expectations and good earplugs. Or better still, go somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
13 Thank Oryol
#6 of 24 in Volterra
Castello Vicchiomaggio
Castello Vicchiomaggio
#3 of 19 in Greve in Chianti

Been to Villa San Filippo Resort? Share your experiences!