We visited this beautiful location in May this year and I have put off writing this review as the experience was almost saved by the extraordinary castle and location - but there are many in the Chianti region. We booked an apartment here, 'Arboretto', I think (name escapes me), believing that having some flexibility to cook and buy local produce would be better than being in the main Castello. This was not the case. It was dark, almost entirely without any aspect and had a smell like it had not been opened in months. The fit out was obviously not as luxurious as within the main complex and one felt like a second class citizen - 'oh, you're in an apartment'. We had arrived after a long drive and I was car sick. There was absolutely no sense of welcome from the staff or within the apartment. We were told to unload our car and move it immediately. Not a bottle of water, appliances had never been plugged in and did not fit the power outlets, there were no basic apartment household items such as dishwashing liquid etc, no house keeping in the time we were there - nothing. This was in stark contrast to our wonderful apartment in Florence which provided small delicacies on arrival, beautifully presented toiletries and bath robes, coffee, tea, milk etc (all for less than this place). The receptionist was rude, 'free wireless' did not exist as offered, and most importantly we thought it would be within a vibrant working vineyard, which we were not. They make some wine - but the in-house wine tasting had 2 wines on offer. Given the extraordinary food we had in the Chianti region, I can honestly say don't bother with the restaurant as it was the least memorable we had. Having just written a quite critical review, being in the grounds of a 1000 year old castle is really something and I went mad with the camera! All the good reviews come from the main complex - stay there and not in the apartments.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Castello Di Tornano is located on a hillside in the Chianti Classico wine region. It offers free Wi-Fi, free parking, and rooms and apartments with satellite TV and bathroom. Rooms at the Castello are air conditioned and include a minibar. The apartments offer a fully fitted kitchen. The restaurant at the Castello Di Tornano serves Tuscan specialities and classic Italian cooking. The swimming pool is set in gardens and surrounded by trees. There is a tennis court, and guests can also enjoy the spa bath and massage treatments. The Castello Di Tornano Farm Stay is 18 km from Siena. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers and Evoline ltd so you can book your Castello di Tornano reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Castello Di Tornano Hotel Gaiole In Chianti
- Castello Di Tornano Gaiole In Chianti, Tuscany, Italy