“Fun Rustic Italian Cooking”
Review of Toscana Mia

Toscana Mia
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: TOSCANA MIA is Simonetta & Paola’s idea for cooking, tasting and language programs in Tuscany Chianti wine region and Florence. An authentic organic food Tuscan experience : Cooking, Markets, Gourmet Shops and Wine tasting. We are happy to welcome in a family ancient home. Food lovers, lovers of Tuscany, lovers of Italian food, lovers of Italy ,Travelling solo, with the family, with friends, for an anniversary ,birthday or for pure pleasure of travelling.
Menlo Park, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Fun Rustic Italian Cooking”
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Very fun interactive cooking lesson and the results were delicious. The location is beautiful and the menu selection was great. Myself, wife and two boys all got involved in the cooking. Special highlight was making pasta from scratch, rolling it out and cutting into different width strips for the types of pastas. Also learned how to cook the beans in a Fagioli Fiasco (glass beaker) on indirect heat. Although I tried to find a Fiasco back home in California to no avail. We enjoyed the experience including eating with the family. Especially the Tiramasu. We also got to keep the recipes!

Visited July 2013
3 Thank ElHamanche

Vantaa
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Delicious, fun and learning experience”
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Mia is a great teacher. A cooking class were you are really cooking yourself from the very beginning. Mia gave both practical and theoretical advise. She never ran out of detailed descriptions why things were done as they were. Mia is also very funny. We were laughing and joking the whole course. A very inspirational experience.

4 Thank Kulist
Orange County
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Underwhelmed”
Reviewed 16 October 2013

My girlfriend and I took a cooking class with them recently and were both very underwhelmed. With a group of 6, Mia the instructor still did half the work herself. I wouldn't have expected her to do anything so that we could experience the work ourselves. We were relegated to watching her cook.

Several other things were disappointing as well. We didn't make fresh pasta and only used dried pasta. The steak that we cooked was sooo overdone by the time Mia pulled it off, that it was hard to eat.

And, I realize it's 'authentic home style cooking', but maybe getting some window screens so that the 1000 flies wouldn't sit on our raw and cooked food nonstop would be in order. For our 2 ppl for $400US, screens would be an easy reach.

The mosquitos are out of their control, but my girl and I had 25 bites each after dinner and were putting on cortisone for 2 days.

I took 2 days of cooking classes in Thailand and they were 100% fantastic. I think this was a big let down.

6 Thank Todd H
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great experience”
Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

This is a cooking school ran by 2 fun and warm sisters. After learning from them, they set the table and serve you in their home with amazing views of the countryside. Even for those like me who are not cooks, it was a great experience

1 Thank NeuroDavid
Bradenton, FL
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“What an amazing experience!”
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Set in the beautiful hills of the Chianti region, this experience topped our list of favorites. The reviews here really are 100% accurate. The cooking class I took, which was supposed to be about 4 hours but turned into all day (due to the great time we all had eating the wonderful meal and sharing stories), was fantastic.
We made everything from scratch; I was amazed that Paola never once opened the refrigerator. Everything we needed was from the garden or already on the table. She was kind enough not only to show us how to make great Tuscan dishes, but also shared with us her view of Italian culture, particularly that of the Tuscan region. She explained, in simple terms, what "Chianti Classico" is, how olives are pressed into oil, how many bottles of olive oil come from one tree, etc.
My husband isn't much of a cook, so he opted to be the "diner" at the end (30 euro) rather than cook, but if we had it to do over, he would definitely take the class with me. Nonetheless, he enjoyed walking through the tiny village of Poggio san Polo, taking hundreds of photos, surfing the web on free wi-fi in the living room, taking occasional photos of me in the kitchen, and enjoying the wine and conversation among Paola, her family, and the other guests.
Even if you're not much into cooking, but really desire to make a connection with Italy, this is your destination.

Visited October 2013