“Fantastic experience in the heart of Tuscany”
Review of Toscana Mia

Toscana Mia
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: TOSCANA MIA is Simonetta & Paola’s idea for cooking, tasting and language programs in Tuscany Chianti wine region and Florence. An authentic organic food Tuscan experience : Cooking, Markets, Gourmet Shops and Wine tasting. We are happy to welcome in a family ancient home. Food lovers, lovers of Tuscany, lovers of Italian food, lovers of Italy ,Travelling solo, with the family, with friends, for an anniversary ,birthday or for pure pleasure of travelling.
Melbourne, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Fantastic experience in the heart of Tuscany”
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I attended the Toscana Mia cooking school with a couple of friends, and had a wonderful time. Paola and Simonetta were wonderful hosts and teachers - we were welcomed into the home (a cosy farmhouse just outside of Gaiole in Chianti) from the instant we arrived, and received more than a cooking experience, but a cultural experience as well. We were given a selection of recipes to choose from prior to our visit, and during the 4 hours we spent in the kitchen/dining, we made (and gobbled up) 5 superb dishes, using simple, fresh ingredients, without requirement for fancy kitchen equipment. As a somewhat lazy cook, the lesson gave me confidence to prepare a great meal without too much fuss. Paola was our main teacher on the day, and she made the whole experience enjoyable, with a quick sense of humour and excellent command of English. Oh, and a couple of glasses of Chianti whilst cooking were just an added bonus. When it came to sit down to dine, we were able to sit with members of the family and learn about some local customs and superstitions (e.g. if you are served the last drops of a bottle of wine, expect to be married in a year!), and pick up a few language and sightseeing tips. I would highly recommend this to anyone who is planning to spend a little time in Tuscany, and who enjoys food!

Visited March 2014
5 Thank travelling_gumby2014

Denver, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Toscanna Mia, Dream Trip”
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Absolutely fantastic. My daughters & I stayed for 5 days in this beautiful Tuscan farmhouse. Simonetta, Paola & family couldn't have been more gracious hosts. Cooking classes were fun, very informative and results, delicious! Getting to this beautiful village from Florence was well planned out by these sisters. We met other students each day from all over the world. Day trips were included. A wonderful birthday present & I hope to return to stay with my new friends, the De' Mari sisters.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Dot C
Menlo Park, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Fun Rustic Italian Cooking”
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Very fun interactive cooking lesson and the results were delicious. The location is beautiful and the menu selection was great. Myself, wife and two boys all got involved in the cooking. Special highlight was making pasta from scratch, rolling it out and cutting into different width strips for the types of pastas. Also learned how to cook the beans in a Fagioli Fiasco (glass beaker) on indirect heat. Although I tried to find a Fiasco back home in California to no avail. We enjoyed the experience including eating with the family. Especially the Tiramasu. We also got to keep the recipes!

Visited July 2013
3 Thank ElHamanche
Vantaa
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Delicious, fun and learning experience”
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Mia is a great teacher. A cooking class were you are really cooking yourself from the very beginning. Mia gave both practical and theoretical advise. She never ran out of detailed descriptions why things were done as they were. Mia is also very funny. We were laughing and joking the whole course. A very inspirational experience.

Visited September 2013
4 Thank Kulist
Orange County
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Underwhelmed”
Reviewed 16 October 2013

My girlfriend and I took a cooking class with them recently and were both very underwhelmed. With a group of 6, Mia the instructor still did half the work herself. I wouldn't have expected her to do anything so that we could experience the work ourselves. We were relegated to watching her cook.

Several other things were disappointing as well. We didn't make fresh pasta and only used dried pasta. The steak that we cooked was sooo overdone by the time Mia pulled it off, that it was hard to eat.

And, I realize it's 'authentic home style cooking', but maybe getting some window screens so that the 1000 flies wouldn't sit on our raw and cooked food nonstop would be in order. For our 2 ppl for $400US, screens would be an easy reach.

The mosquitos are out of their control, but my girl and I had 25 bites each after dinner and were putting on cortisone for 2 days.

I took 2 days of cooking classes in Thailand and they were 100% fantastic. I think this was a big let down.

Visited September 2013