“Cozy and Comfortable”

La Fenice Park Hotel
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Massa Marittima
Reviewed 21 April 2012

I truly enjoyed my stay at La Fenice. I had checked out another hotel at the base of the town and HATED it. As a walk-in, I was offered a wonderful room for the same price (Euro 90). I enjoyed the grounds (a lovely garden and lawn to wald out upon), quiet quarters, and helpful staff (all three!) throughout my stay. The location is superb and the town is precious. HIGHLY recommended.

Room Tip: I asked to see a few rooms, but the first selected by the desk clerk ended up being the best.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank globetreker

Reviewed 26 June 2011

Great place to stay. Wonderful position. Generous breakfast offering fresh fruit salad. Breakfast should be offered in the garden but is not! Pity.

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank kenbriffa
Reviewed 22 May 2011

This wonderful hotel has a relaxing atmosphere, big beautiful rooms, a very nice and quiet garden and a very friendly and helpful staff.
There might be some difficulties to communicate with some of the staff that do not speak english.
The hotel is located in the outskirts of the old town, only a 10 min. nice walk from the town centre, via a quite steep hill.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank baalo
Reviewed 5 March 2011

It was a rainy and cold day we arrived in Massa Maritima. We had no hotel reservation and so we entered in La Fenice to ask for a free room. We got a beautiful 2 room suite for a good price. The charming concierge helped us for all questions in German language. It wasn't season, so I guess we was the only guests in this house. The rooms was clean, furnished with a living room included a little cooking space, eating table, couch and TV, the sleeping room with a doubble bed. The bathroom clean and well equipped.
The rooms are silent and good also for a longer stay. The staff very sypathic and friendly. The breakfast let no wishes open.
If ever we come back to Massa Maritima, we know already where we will stay.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank tinamatz
Reviewed 8 September 2010

My friend and I decided to stay at this hotel after having looked at the reviews on Tripadvisor and seen the Hotel website.
DO NOT BE FOOLED by the good website presentation.
We called up the hotel to book on the day we were travelling. We were looking for a nice place with a pool and good service (we wanted to avoid agriturismi, we needed a bit of pampering). A very enthusiastic lady answered and illustrated the different room options. We decided we would go for the cheapest, the standard room (at a pricey 120 euros per night!).
We arrived and they gave us the key to our room on the first floor, facing the garden. We walked in and were shocked to find that our "bed" was actually a sofa bed with a mattress on top. Also, we inspected the bathroom and found that we had been given a room for disabled people. This would be have been fine (except that there was no proper shower, and that the sink, toilet and accessories were placed very low). However the hotel was nearly empty and we couldn't figure out why they would be giving us this room. My friend and I went downstairs to complain about the bed. The reception lady said that this should have been specified to us when we booked. I assured her that nobody mentioned a sofa bed over the phone. She didn't apologise but said that if we were not happy with the room, we could go for a junior suite. We decided to check it out before confirming and were told that it would be an extra 20 euros per night (no free upgrade given their mistake). This was beginning to become extremely expensive, but we had little option.
The "Junior Suite" was a normal bedroom and a living room. The bed was a king size mattress on a queen size frame. It stuck out and was not properly supported on the edges.
We then decided to go and check out the advertised pool in the garden and found it to be a shallow bathtub. Actually, it was a huge bird bath, given that all the local pigeons frequent it regularly, and left their dropping on the side and in the water. It was disgusting.
The next morning we go downstairs to fetch our acclaimed breakfast. It was indeed abundant, though not the best I've had at 140 euros a night. To be fair though, the lady that served coffee and tea was really sweet. She took care of the guests and remembered your preferences the next day. This was the only positive thing I have to say about the hotel. We come back to the room at 10 and at 10:15 the cleaning lady comes knocking on our door to ask whether we had finished. I told her we would be out in 15 minutes and she said "Ah yes because if you are not out shortly, I will have finished my round and your room won't be cleaned"....I'm sorry, did I miss something? I am a paying guest. Breakfast is till 10:00, I want to be able to come back to my room and brush my teeth, possibly do other things before I leave it and under no circumstance should a hotel threaten not to clean my room! So as we are preparing to go we decide to leave our valuables in the safety deposit box, only to find that it did not work. We complained to the receptionist who said she could do nothing about it till the next day...needless to say nothing was ever done about the box. I could go on, but really I think I've given enough details to understand how the rest of our 4-day stay unfolded.
I would not suggest this hotel to anyone who wants value for money. It is ridiculously overpriced, not customer oriented and frankly has nothing special to offer its guests. Very bad. Do not go.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
4  Thank Sofuia
LaFeniceH, Responsabile reception at La Fenice Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2010

Dear Madam,
We thank you for your feedback. I am the receptionist with whom you spoke with on the phone, when making your reservation.
Recently, our management has changed, and as per our previous response to your comment, made last year, the bedding will be replaced as soon as possible.
Prior to booking, I listed the different room tipologies and their inclusions, in great detail. And your final decision was to choose the room with the sofa bed, advising "this was not be a problem".
Similarly the dimensions of the swimming pool were also advised.
In a typical hotel environment, room cleaning is carried out late mornings.
In the event, you wished to have your room cleaned later, all that was required, was to advise reception and there would have not been any issues.
In actual fact, it would have been a pleasure to meet your expectations as best possible. At the time, I asked you if your stay was to your satisfaction and your answer was positive.
We are sorry to hear, you were dissappointed with your stay, however if you had communicated these issues to us, all could have been resolved immediately.

Reviewed 8 September 2010

We arrived in Massa much later than expected due to a road closure. On first entering the outskirts we felt disappointed as it did not appear to be an attractive town. Don't be mislead, the old town is delightful. The Felice Park is ideally located 5 mins walk from the centre piazza. The rooms are very large and clean, the receptionist extremely helpful and the breakfast plentiful. We were also given a recommendation for the trattoria dei cavalieri restaurant with a discount. This is a typical Italian family restaurant and we had a warm welcome and a lovely meal. All very good.

• Stayed: September 2010
Reviewed 1 July 2010

This is a small, 3-star hotel in a fascinating old hilltop city, not far from Sienna, but very much off the beaten track of non-Italian tourists. The hotel's rooms are comfortable; roomy, well equipped, with modern bath facilities. There is a pleasant park behind the hotel building, although the swimming pool is an above-ground installation, which, when I was there was unheated. To enter the hotel, it is necessary to have someone at the reception desk push a button to open the doors. Although someone is always available to perform this function, it seems somewhat unfriendly.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends