We knew as soon as we arrived that Pieve di Caminino was a special place and the perfect location for us to explore the beautiful Tuscany countryside. A warm welcome from the owners and the offer of a glass of their own white wine in the beautiful reception hall just added to our delight. We stayed in the Belvedere apartment which is spacious and has a large window with panaromic views of the surrounding landscape and a delightful terrace which enjoys sunshine from morning until about mid-afternoon. We visited Siena (about an hour's drive away) and Castiglione della Pescaia (about half an hour away), and enjoyed a day trip to the island of Elba as well as visiting lots of the surrounding hilltop villages including Roccatederighi which was closest and from where we hired bikes. Much to our surprise (we are in our late 50's and hadn't ridden bikes for a few years) we managed a 50km bike ride carefully planned to include a lot of downhill cycling by Riccardo who owns the bike rental shop in Roccatederighi. Riccardo also accompanied us leading us through some very picturesque countryside and keeping us well informed about the area which certainly added to our enjoyment as did being collected by his wife at the end of our trip which spared us all that cycling back uphill! Roccatederighi is walkable from Caminino but only if you enjoy a very long uphill walk. It took us abut 80 minutes to get there in quite hot sunshine and about 50 minutes for the mostly downhill return journey; we completed this walk only the once and were very thankful of the Caminino pool to cool off in and for the use of our car for future journeys! There are lots of lovely restaurants in the area to try out and we particularly enjoyed the De Nada in Roccatederighi which has a small but lovely ouside terrace from which to enjoy dinner and the beautiful evening sunsets. Caminino is not for you if you are looking for a lively nightlife and characterless accommodation but if you are looking for something different and a memorable Tuscany experience then it is perfect!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Caminino is an antique farm estate of 200 hectares (500 acres), completely fenced, access to which is reserved exclusively for guests with reservations. A centenary olive grove, a panoramic vineyard where walking or jogging at the sight of the Montemassi castle, and a legendary cork oak forest surround the old exclusive private village, now offering agriturismo hospitality, with swimming pool (in warm season) and two ponds. Silence dominates, pleasantly interrupted by the sounds of nature. The view stretches, on clear days, to the sea, where the horizon is marked by the island of Giglio. The ancient villages of Roccatederighi, Montemassi, Sticciano and Montepescali are nearby located, crowning the landscape with their fortfied walls: they area reachable driving afew minutes and all offer a delicious choice of typical restaurants and wine bars.Not to miss & easily reachable: Massa Marittima, Siena, Montalcino, Pitigliano, Castiglione della Pescaia, Populonia, Bolgheri, the Maremma National Park, The Tarot Garden, Mount Amiata, the Terme di Saturnia, Roselle, S. Galgano, S. Antimo ... The total lack of traffic makes Caminino easy to be reached, both from Rome Leonardo da Vinci (200km / 124mi) and from Pisa Galileo Galilei (140km / 87mi), or from Florence Amerigo Vespucci Airport (128km /80mi). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Pieve di Caminino Historic Farm reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Historical Resort Pieve Di Caminino Hotel Roccatederighi
- Pieve Di Caminino Historic Farm Roccatederighi, Italy - Tuscany