My wife and I stayed at La Sovana for 6 days at the end of October, 2013, just before they closed for the winter months. It may have been a bit chilly to enjoy the beautiful pool but it was perfect timing to watch how they harvest both the olives and grapes...both of which surround the property. The olives are processed on the property and we were able to watch the entire "production line" and sample the oil as it headed to the bottling.
Two Belgian couples joined us along with the co-owner to a wine-tasting at their winery along which included a tour of the facility. We had a great time and became friends since both couples were staying at La Sovana for an extended period.
I booked La Sovana based upon the strength of the reviews at Tripadvisor and other travel review sites. But I was a bit concerned about being away from civilization. I needed not to worry! A kilometer down the road toward Chiusi right at the Autostrada entrance is an entrance to a mall that contains, among other things, the largest grocery/general merchandise store I have seen in Europe. Of course there are clothing stores and a restaurant/coffee shop along with many other stores.
A very short drive from La Sovana and you are in Montalcino, Montepulciano, Pienza, Sarteano and Chiusi. Chianciano, a spa town, is halfway between La Sovana and Chiusi and has some really nice up-scale shops. It also has the best gelato in Italy...look on the left for a big ice cream cone among a string of stores as you start to drive into the town.
La Sovana is a family run operation. That includes the gourmet restaurant in which both the owner and his wife actively participate in creating amazing means. One evening we had an asparagus soup (I am not fond of asparagus) that made me rethink my aversion to the vegetable, a wide noodle filled with a huge amount of porchini mushrooms and a sauce that was unique and thin slices of filet topped with fresh white truffle that the owner, Giuseppe, proudly grated on each plate as he went around the restaurant greeting his guests. The wines and olive oil are, of course, from La Sovana cellars.
The guest rooms are large, modern and spotless. There is communal space to sit and read in front of the fireplace or overlooking the pool. In short, this is a wonderful place to get away from it all and still be near enough to civilization and sightseeing.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In the enchanting scenery of the Tuscan hills, nestled between the green of the Valdichiana Valley and the impressive panorama of the Val d'Orcia, here stands our La Sovana Country Relais. A small corner of paradise in an area of 22 hectares that will offer a peaceful stay. Peace and relaxation a step away from this fascinating ancient history of the places that surround it. Our family, who runs the hotel since 1992, is ready to welcome in the respect of the traditional Tuscan style. In this spectacular setting of these stone houses with wooden beams and terracotta, you can also enjoy local dishes expertly prepared by Giovannella and her staff who choose every day the high-quality materials, with a great care for organic products from our orchard and at zero kilometer ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com and Ebookers so you can book your Agriturismo La Sovana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Agriturismo La Sovana Hotel Sarteano
- Agriturismo La Sovana Sarteano, Tuscany, Italy