“Downhill.....”

Engo Gard Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Tjome
Reviewed 14 December 2013

I´ve had the pleasure of staying at Engø, several times over the last 10 years. My last visit just a couple of weeks ago. I am sad to say – the quality is not anywhere near what it used to be.

Staff is at times unprofessional, lacking the oversight and attentiveness that professional staff must have, in this segment.Plenty of mistakes are made and several staff members behave like if they were working an average cafeteria – not in a high class, high cost luxury resort, with a reputation for quality.

The food is still good, but not anywhere close to what we experienced during previous visits. During our lates visit, all five courses were served nearly cold, – on cold plates(!) Completely unacceptable.

A single espresso, ordered at the bar, sat on the counter for a good minute, while the waiter talked on the telephone – only to be served..... cold.

Sorry Engø – not good enough.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Morten B

Reviewed 13 November 2013

What a perfect location for a retreat from a hectic everyday life. Total relaxation, a cosy atmosphere, excellent food and wine, great service - we really felt welcome at Engø. This was value for money - not a budget stay, but well worth it! We´ll definitely be back!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mkr68
Reviewed 4 November 2013

This was our 3rd stay at Engø. We were alittle bit afraid that the quality of food and service had gone down since our last stays because there have been a big change in the people who work there.

We didn't have to worry!:-) We had a really great stay and the food and atmosphere were still fantastic.

What was better:
Dinner - even better with more unusual dishes.
Breakfast - ahhhh we were spoilt with better bread and everything made from scratch.

What was not so good:
Afternoon tea - missed the caramel souse
Service - before we went to our table (we were 8 having birthday party) there were one annoying waiter who tried to push caviar on us "100" times. Quite annoying. We also missed the danish headwaiter from our last stay. He made a difference.

All in all a fantastic stay again, and we will go back. Stayed in "Store Engø" room this time. Nice room, but I really like the normal Engø room Årstidene.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I stayed here with my wife and 2 children for two nights at the end July 2013 when attending a wedding of a close friend. From the minute we arrived we felt relaxed and spoilt. We stayed in a little 'cottage' room called "Frithjof" which was beautiful and full of charm and character. It was close to the reception, restaurant / bar and pool so was perfect.
The food, drink and service we received was of the highest quality throughout our stay... The breakfast buffets were simply amazing, (so much choice, so fresh and such high quality), the smoked salmon was just out of this world. The food / wine we had for the wedding dinner was also of the highest quality and presentation.

During the wedding we were looked after by a guy called Pierre (who in my opinion is a major asset for the Hotel, as was the barman... A British guy called Rob.) That said all the staff were first class and did the hotel proud.

We used the pool and sauna which was lovely and rode the hotel bicycles down to the Fjord and around the grounds.

Probably one of the most memorable two nights / days I've stayed at a 'European' Hotel and I hope to return one day... Keep it up Engo Gard!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Once upon a time, right after I knew I would be getting married, I got to see an ad for Engø gård on Facebook. It was the only wedding venue we looked at, I knew it would be perfect. It was. We stayed here during the last weekend in June, Friday to Sunday. We got married on Saturday and except for the weather - it was the only day for weeks it had to pour - everything was perfect.

On Friday night we had dinner with my family and maid of honor. It was so much fun - we got to eat things I didn't even know you could it, such as squid ink chips or dried sea weed. Every bite was an exquisite explosion of taste. We were supposed to have only three courses, but the dishes came and went in flurry and there were a lot more. In comparison, the wedding dinner, although excellent, was not quite as wonderful. Perhaps the magic had worn off a bit.

I did not have time to enjoy the wonderful indoors swimming pool and sauna all that much, but next time I go there, I surely will. There will absolutely be a next time at Engø, my husband and I have solemnly vowed to return at least once a year to relive the place where we got married.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 July 2013

We spent a couple of nights at Engo Gard as a couple. It is like a little hamlet of old buildings in a lovely quiet position with a view of the water. The room was nicely furnished in a country style and the grounds well tended without being over-manicured. The breakfast was excellent and we had dinner one night -,a creative, delicious treat (but pricey, like most eating out in Norway). The most striking thing was how friendly and engaging the staff were throughout our stay. This is one of the best hotels I have stayed in and I stay in a lot.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Can be recommended for business as well.
Location is perfect. Surroundings just charm and culture. Hotel and restaurant etc.
with a modern and at the same time, old traditional style. Food?: There should be a Michelin-delegation here very Quick.

If you are tired of fjords and mountains: this is the best place for a stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tjome
Scandic Havna Tjome
#2 of 5 in Sandefjord
Sjoemilitaere Samfund
Sjoemilitaere Samfund
#1 of 4 in Horten Municipality

Been to Engo Gard Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!