“Charming”
Review of Balestrand Hotel

Balestrand Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Balestrand
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Balestrand Hotel was a great find. What a nice place,, we really enjoyed ourselves thoroughly there was several crhoices for dining which were walking distance from each other. The only complaint was the only place for souvenir shopping was at a place called Kvikne's Hotel in the lobbey, the few items they had was so expensive but to there defense was the whole of Norway was ridiviouly over priced for everything so make sure you bring plenty of cash your gonna need it!!!!

• Stayed: August 2013
There are newer reviews for Balestrand Hotel

Reviewed 21 August 2013

I stayed at this hotel on a family trip to Norway and really enjoyed this hotel and the town of Balestrand. My room was on the 4th floor with a view opposite the fjords which was a little disappointing, but we made our reservations only 2 months before arriving, and it is a smallish hotel. The views from the fjord-side are spectacular and would highly recommend that you get a room with a balcony overlooking the fjord if you can get one.

Our room was large with a comfortable bed. The bathroom with shower was large, and I have only 2 small complaints about the shower: 1. the plastic shower curtain would stick to you with the bathroom door closed; 2. it was difficult to regulate the water temperature, but not impossible. There is not a hair drier in the room, but the hotel owner has them at the front desk. All you have to do is ask for one. I believe that the floor tiles in the bathroom are heated ~ at any rate, they always felt warm to my bare feet instead of cold as I had anticipated a tile floor would feel.

This hotel is family operated and has a great host and hostess (Unni-Marie). Their daughters also help with the operation. The family is very friendly, helpful and funny. Our host met us at the ferryboat dock and picked up all of our luggage so that we didn't have to haul it up the hill. We were quite capable of walking the short distance to the hotel and were happy not to have to drag our bags along. If a guest has a disability, the host will take you in the care. After loading our luggage into the car, our host gave us directions to the hotel and told us to check out various restaurants along the way so that we might choose where to go for dinner. He also pointed out the grocery store in case we wanted to grab snack items before going onto the hotel.

The breakfast buffet was plentiful. One of the daughters was in charge of the buffet and kept it fully supplied. We ate breakfast fairly early and were usually among the first in the room, so I can not comment on the experience of a later breakfast, but we enjoyed what was offered and left happy.

Views of the Sogne Fjord from the hotel lobby and breakfast room are simply spectacular. This hotel has a large patio area in front of the hotel with lots of seating so that you can enjoy the view or you can cross the street to a private lawn with lounge chairs right at the water's edge. It is true that the television is in the lobby area with none in the guest rooms, but we didn't have much time to watch TV anyway and preferred reading near the water or just watching the boats in the fjord. We visited in July, so we had daylight very late into the evening.

I recommend this hotel because of the views of the fjord, the comfortable and adequate rooms and the hospitality of the owners. Our stay lasted only 2 nights and I would have loved to have stayed 1 or 2 nights longer. I will definitely return to this hotel if I every have the opportunity to do so.

Room Tip: If you have the opportunity to get a room with a balcony overlooking the fjord, I recommend that you...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Really the only reason to stay here is if you were able to book a room with a view of the fjord. The family who runs this hotel come off as disinterested and even annoyed at their paying customers, that's especially true of the American husband who met us at the ferry landing and the college-age son. You get the feeling that they'd really rather be doing anything else. The lobby are is cute enough and the rooms are fine. The hallways make you feel like you're in a dated hospital or worse--very institutional and off-putting. Unni-Marie, the mother/wife, comes off as the nicest of the group, and she is quite pleasant and helpful. I don't know how else to put it other than to say I didn't feel welcome.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 August 2013

I did a lot of research on the Western fjords before visiting with my husband and 24 year old son for 5 days. I genuinely do not understand the negative reviews about this hotel. Balestrand was certainly the best choice on the Sognefjord as it faces south and its fjord views are wide compared with other places like Flam and Vik. Norway is an expensive country and this hotel really exceeded my expectations for the price we paid. The rooms are clean and all the furniture is new. The beds are the most comfortable I have slept in anywhere and the shower is powerful. The views from the lounge areas are unbeatable. There is a table at the bottom of the staircase with leaflets about things to do, as well as sample menus from nearby restaurants. The breakfast food was fresh and plentiful. We never arrived for breakfast before 9am and the juices and yoghurts were cold so I don't understand the review about them being at room temperature. Everything was continually replenished. I am extremely fussy when staying in hotels and usually like to go 5* to ensure a decent stay. However, it is completely unnecessary in Balestrand because the holiday is all about the most amazing scenery you will ever see. Even if it rains, it does not spoil the enjoyment. We drove to the glacier at Skei on a wet day and it did not impede the views. The drive across the top of the mountain from Laerdal and the drop down to Aurland is a must. You can return via the long tunnel going under the mountain. Restaurants in Balestrand were not as expensive as I feared, We ate at the Kviknes Bistro and Ciderhuset. We paid between £22 and £30 a head for a main course and either a shared desert or 2 starters. The owners of the Balestrand are very helpful and welcoming. I cannot say enough good things about our stay and we will definitely return.

Room Tip: If you cant afford a fjord view it isn't necessary as the views from the lounge area are perfect...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 August 2013

The Balestrand Hotel is delightful because of its awesome location--it overlooks a beautiful fjord.
The hotel itself is average with dated furniture but clean. Breakfast was minimal. The staff was very congenial but again, tourists are not at Balestrand to experience a luxury hotel but more to sight-see the wonders of fjord country.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 August 2013

My experience at the hotel was fine. (I was there for 6 nights!) My room was clean if not pristine or updated and modern. (I didn't need a TV while on vacation at the Norwegian fjords!) Though the breakfast was not fantastic, I think it was just fine. (Contrary to what another reviewer said, they did have yogurt.) The proprietors were friendly and helpful. I would recommend this hotel.
(I would have given 4 stars for "good" but here 4 stars = "very good.") (I ranked the swimming pool as "excellent"... I'm referring to the fjord.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Bambinaki
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I had one night at this hotel. After a little back and forth- not being happy with the first rooms offered, they suddenly came up with room 229, which is a JS and has a single bed, with 2 very nostalgic wooden balconis. Hence it was a room in the hotel corner in the arch facing the fjord to the south east. A fabolous room and view, a fantastic historical hotel with spacious living rooms and old classical furnitures giving you the feeling of being set back in time. The service was also very good and friendly. High level of hospitality, a generous breakfast and an unforgettable atmosphere !
Not to be missed - providinging you stay in the historical building with a room and balcony facing the fjord.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Balestrand
Kviknes Hotel
#1 of 1 in Solvorn
Myrkdalen Hotel
Myrkdalen Hotel
#1 of 1 in Vossestrand

Been to Balestrand Hotel? Share your experiences!