“Ski Trip 2014”

Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Poiana Brasov
Lisburn
“Ski Trip 2014”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Just returned from my first trip to Romania for skiing, there was 18 of us in the party was various levels of skiing andwhile the resort of Poiana Brasov has had its least snow for some 40 years, there was enough snow on the upper slopes and gave a choice of Blue, Red & Black runs, which allowed us to ski each day albeit limited.
The area runs a points system for ski passes and that was vey easy to monitor as you went along
The poor ski weather was more than made up by the Alpin Hotel and Ski Academy,
Skis, poles, boots, helmets and snowboards were all available for hire on site
There was a very efficient shuttle bus to the slopes which was only 5mins by bus
The hotel s excellent and has areas to meet all the needs of the group that I was with quiet areas to just sit and talk, good bar and restaurants as well as a night club
The rooms were spacious and kept clean each day by the housekeeping staff
Front desk were very helpful and able to advise on any questions we had there are a number of restaurants within walking distance.
Make sure you have Lie (Romanian Curreny) as the area does not take Euro or Stirling, there is a ATM in the hotel and a bank within 5mins walk
Local Bus into Brasov (12km) well worth the trip with added variety of Restaurants at not and 35-40 Lie (£7-8) return in taxi for 4.
Only negative was that sometimes there was noise at night that kept some of the party awake
But on the whole excellent can't wait to go back

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank SteveD29

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Greater London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from our skiing trip. The hotel stands proud on the top of a hill about 2 mins drive from the nearest slopes and a couple of good places to eat. There is a free shuttle bus to and from the slopes. The hotel is very relaxed, comfortable and friendly. I travelled with my 15 year old daughter and we stayed in a double room. Room was large enough for us both and cleaned every day. Our friends stayed in one of the apartments and it was huge and ideal for families. The hotel staff are very accommodating and friendly. Breakfast was good and there is something for everyone. I would recommend the fried eggs oddly enough! The spa is excellent - i visited a couple of times and was never over busy as the pool is a good size. I had a deep tissue massage which worked out about £35 for an hour and would highly recommend.

If skiing hire your equipment at the slopes it is cheaper and will save you putting it on and off the shuttle bus. I had skied once before in Austria and the instructors here knocked spots off them. I was skiing from the top after a few lessons. Ask for Chobby and Robert. The only reason I didn't score it a 5 is because the hotel is very hot especially at breakfast time.

I would deffo stay here and ski here again :-))

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Mich S
Targoviste, Romania
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Aparthotel Alpin is one of the best choice in Poiana Brasov in winter as it in summer. The apartments are quite large, with well equiped living-room, and two bedrooms with own bathroom or one bathroom in livingroom (you should ask at reception). The furniture is great, classical and modern in the same time. The bathrooms are well equiped. Here you can relax in one great spa, with largest indoor pool I ever seen in a 4* hotel. Also sauna, fitness room and massages are ready to relax your body and mind. In the morning you can enjoy a great breakfast, with different cold and warm dishes, hot croissants, good coffee, tea, or juices. For extra pay you can order fresh orange or grapefruit juice. I strongly recomend this Aparthotel, especially if you travel with large family or group of friends. Enjoy your stay!

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank adirada74
Chisinau, Moldova
Reviewed 16 January 2014

We have visited the Alpin Apart Hotel during the first weeks of Jan 2014 (4 adults + 1.5year old daughter). Please note that the hotel is composed of the two blocks - one is the apart hotel wing, while the other is the standard hotel rooms wing.
Here are some observations:
Apart-hotel apartments are very good and roomy - best solution for the family trips with the kids.
Just for your info if you travel as a big company - you can actually fit max 5-6 adults in such a two-bedroom apartment if needed. Rooms are clean and in good condition.
Breakfast is OK, but really lacks olives and fried bacon (these two always add 5-star touch to the hotel). Same type of food all the time.
Spa is good with lots of choices.
Swimming pool and sauna are very good.
The hotel is situated 3-4 minutes DRIVE from the slopes, which appeared to be to its own benefit. Some other hotels that are closer to the mountain are always in its shadow, while Alpin's position is perfect for a nice view. Small shuttle buses take off immediately upon request, and deliver you directly to the slope free of charge.
The Staff is friendly. The restaurants are good, but pricey. Live piano and folk music available.
The ski rental is good but no ski-masks (exactly the same rental price like all over the Poiana Brasov village).
The ski school people are very nice - I HIGHLY recommend to take the ski lessons if needed specifically from Mr.Ionuts. It can be a very good piece of advice for Russian-speaking tourists, because Ionut delivers most of the information with the gestures that can be understood by anybody.
Something more helpful for the ski-tourists:
The daytime temperature during all our stay was about +6C, nighttime about -2 with no snow. It was a big challenge for us to make up our mind to go to Poiana Brasov in these conditions that lasted about a month already. You also have some doubts? So, the answer is - the Poiana Brosov slopes are white and busy even in these extremely warm conditions, while the other resorts are closed. All thanks to its altitude and to the snow fans that had been working during the nights.
As a summary - Alpin APARTHOTEL is a nice place to visit if you travel with your kids. Would go more times.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Vladislav D
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I and my son booked for six nights at Alpin Hotel, during last Christmas. The hotel was highly recommended by our travel agent who prefers for herself Alpin in front of all other hotels in Poiana Brasov, especially for the helpful staff and for the hotel’s amenities. Unfortunately, it wasn’t our case. Maybe we are just ordinary people and not VIPs. The room was the worst they could offer, close to the kindergarten (in fact the whole hotel was a large kindergarten in that period, with kids running free all over the place), the balcony was in fact an extension of a terrace where the hotel stored all their mattresses, which made the view horrible, every time I went out in the balcony I had the feeling that I stepped into a dumping plot. We also got the worst table for dinner, too close to the band who was singing too loud every night so it was almost impossible to eat properly, if there was food left to eat and this was another issue which annoyed us a lot. It happened to us three times to arrive after 9 pm for dinner (which was, by the way, included in the price) and found nothing to eat, one of this times was exactly on Christmas night, and when I asked the servants if they are supposed to bring more food, they responded to me smiling in a very polite manner, that was left out only what I could see. The problem was that there was nothing to see, only empty boxes where warm food was supposed to be. So, we had to dress us up and go eat outside, to Restaurant Capra Neagra, which, by the way I recommend it for its warm atmosphere and very good food.
In the swimming pool, no life guard on duty, watching for the specific rules to be respected. The parents with small kids were floating everywhere and in all senses, which made swimming impossible, and nobody was wearing a swim cap, even if it was noticed all over the place.
The cleaning service was as bad as possible, the maid knocking at our door at 9am to ask when we leave the room so she could make the service. What annoyed me a lot was the fact that the hotel called me as soon as we checked out to inform me that I didn’t pay a bottle of wine from the minibar. As I explained them, the bottle was taken by the maid one day when she boosted in our room and took it from the minibar, without saying a word, and obviously she didn’t noticed this to the reception which charged me afterwards. What surprised me was the fact that I was nothing asked about the ski pants I left in the room (on purpose, because they where too small to my son, but anyway, they could have asked).
Another problem was the parking lot, too small for the size of the hotel. They have a valet parking which parks your car depending of the size of it and about how much it’s worthing it (the car and the tip, I mean). So, if you have an expensive SUV for example, you’ll find it in a good spot, if you have a cheap, small car, you’ll find it in a middle of a mud puddle, as it was our case.
In conclusion, we choose Alpin hotel because of its price I considered fair, comparing to other hotels in Poiana, like Ana Hotels for example which was extremely expensive this year, but the offer was below our expectations. It was an unique experience which we won’t repeat it again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Luciano_6410
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Big, clean rooms, with a large balcony. Mine had a very nice view. Free wifi.
Good rooms for medium sized events.
Nice food. Breakfast had enough choices, but it can get rather crowded in the morning if there are large groups.
Friendly, polite staff members- those who were less experienced compensated with attitude.
Nice pool.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Yambol, Bulgaria
Reviewed 29 December 2013

The Hotel Alpin is situated in the Poiana Brashov Resort, only a few kilometers from Brashov - the pearl of Carpathian Mountains and Transylvania. The hotel proposes all conveniences for one pleasant tourist sojourn. The staff is very kindly and meets every guest with great hospitality. The rooms are enough spacious, with good comfort. The breakfast is very rich, moreover there are two magnificent restaurants where is possible to taste in the evening a natural Romanian dishes, as well and modern Fitness center. The position of the hotel permits easy access to Brashov (Kronstadt) with its very interesting churches and landmarks, as well to the Bran Castle (Törzburg) and the Rashnov fortress (Rosenau). Our group was consisted from 48 persons and I can to share with TA members that all the group was satisfied completely from our sojourn in the Hotel Alpin.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
#4 of 16 in Poiana Brasov
Hotel Crisalpin
Hotel Crisalpin
#7 of 16 in Poiana Brasov

Been to ALPIN Hotel Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!