“Serendipity”
Review of La Casa Noble

La Casa Noble
Ranked #1 of 2 Aracena B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 November 2013

In October, 2013, my wife and I traveled throughout Portugal and Spain. We originally planned to stay in Arcos de La Frontera or Ronda, south of Seville; but, we had not found a place that was...just right. Sound familiar?

Because we were heading to Lisbon from Toledo, we looked in northern Andalusia to shorten our drive. We did not want to stay in a big city—although we wanted to be day-trip distance from Seville. So, we started looking in the wonderful Sierra de Aracena and Picos de Aroche Nature Reserve.

You know the drill: You spend endless hours cross-checking Rick Steves, Michelin, Tripadvisor, and so forth and then, suddenly, you stumble upon the perfect place. In his review below, our new friend “Andrew F” described our lucky find, La Casa Noble, better than we can. It is, indeed, a “beautifully restored and welcoming home with lots of character and style” located in a “small Andalusian mountain village.”

It has taken us a month of reflection to find words to add to Andrew’s review. Finally, it dawned on us that we need to write about Andrew himself—and Melanie and Rafael and the waitress at El Rincón de Juan and about the beautiful and welcoming people that we met in Aracena, Spain.

The most rewarding reason to travel has been discussed from Homer to Michener to Steves: meeting people. In Homer’s time, greeting strangers was structured as a deep part of the culture to be expected by a stranger in a foreign land. In its essence, it was xenia—the expectation that a guest would be treated as a friend. Michener, in Iberia, said that "anything good I have written" stems from a random encounter in "some village out in the country" where he could "spend a couple of days just sitting and looking and talking." Rick’s back door travel philosophy suggests that good travel requires “meeting and communicating with the people, not relying on service with a purchased smile.”

We are all social creatures. We need to connect. The experience that will endure is one that flows from friendships, especially those which lead to some understanding of another culture. Now, Andrew is originally from Scotland and England. Melanie (the owner of La Casa Noble who, beyond xenia, treated us as friends) is from Australia. Rafael is a native of Andalusia. They shared great stories about their travels…and about themselves. They shared their manzanilla sherry from Cádiz and they shared their prized jamón (from the noble black Ibérico pig) and we all shared tapas together at El Rincón and it was wonderful. Serendipitous, as Melanie said.

We were enjoying our pig cheeks (and all manner of other delicacies which somehow kept pouring out of that tiny corner bar like clowns from an impossibly small circus car) and I was trying to order another bottle of Ribera Del Duero wine from the pretty, young waitress. My Spanish was all too rusty and my Andalusian dialect non-existent. Go figure what I said. It doesn’t really matter; but, the waitress, and then all of us, started laughing. No purchased smiles here.

Why is it that I often forget Rome or London or Madrid...but never La Morra or Oban or Aracena? What I will always remember about La Casa Noble is how sharing good times—and little moments of laughter—with new friends meant that a part of me would always somehow be left behind in the white hills of that “small Andalusian mountain village."

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
melaracena, Owner at La Casa Noble, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Hey there, I know that I have already responded privately via email - but I have just noticed that my public reply never posted??? I didn't want you to think that I could possibly have not responded to such an amazing and positive review.
It truly was an amazing evening.
Thank you sooooo much for helping to create an amazing night for not only me but for my other guests as well - your enthusiasm for life was infectious. It is a true blessing for us as hosts to have clients with such a joy for life that they enhance the experience for every other guest there as well.
I hope that 2014 has started fabulously for you both!
Big kisses from all of us at La Casa Noble.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

We cannot recommend La Casa Noble highly enough. Everything was perfect; the warm welcome, the exceptionally comfortable bed, the roaring log fire with a perfect gin and tonic and a delicious breakfast. Melanie was so kind and helpful and full of local information that we felt immediately at home. It was everything a luxury break should be.. the surrounding area has so much to offer and La Casa Noble is the perfect base from which to explore. We collected sweet chestnuts, fed acorns to pigs and ate the most delicious jambon. Can't wait to return.

Room Tip: It's worth discussing which room would suit your needs with the owner. We had a quiet room at th...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experiences with fellow travellers. I responded quite some time ago, but have just now noticed that a number of my recent responses have not posted.
I truly appreciated the time that you took and am looking forward to your coming back and visiting us again soon.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

We stayed at La Casa Noble early Oct 2013 for a birthday & anniversary in the middle of a visit to Spain. Sublime weather and warm, friendly attention at La Casa Noble made this hotel very memorable. Great coffee and perfect continental breakfast (yoghurt & fruit, croissant and pastry) made a good start to a walking day and Melanie was on hand to answer our many queries about the area. On street parking was not a problem but we do recommend communicating with the hotel beforehand as to how to find them in the one-way streets! The area is perfect and interesting for walking.

Our luxurious and spacious room, in an exquisitely restored townhouse, offered a welcome haven but the unique aspect of our stay was the personal attention and recommendations from the owner - so thanks very much for adding to a very memorable holiday.

Room Tip: We had the top room over the street and had a stunning view of the floodlit castle and church at nig...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

I thank you so much for your wonderful review and for taking the time to share your experiences with fellow travellers.
It was a real pleasure sharing our little corner of the world with you. I am glad we could make your birthday and anniversary celebrations memorable.
Until next time - Happy Trails!

Reviewed 21 October 2013

We were staying in La Casa Noble for the first 2 nights of a week long trip in the area. We had never been to Aracena before and the owner was extremely helpful with recommendations for restaurants and places to see.
The room was beautiful with lovely views across Aracena, wonderful breakfast (much more than the usual fare for Spanish breakfast), really helpful owner. We will be coming back and wouldn't stay anywhere else!
Thanks for an amazing start to our holiday!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
melaracena, Owner at La Casa Noble, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Thanks Rachel for taking the time to share your experience with other travellers.
It was a lot of fun to be able to set you up on the right track for your weeks worth of exploring here in the Sierras and even more so to run into you guys again at Rincon de Juan to see how it all was going.
I am looking forward to when you do return to the sierras - maybe next time around we can organise some of our riding trails or perhaps a cooking course.
I am thrilled that you liked the region so much you will be coming back - and even more thrilled that we will be at the top of your list for places to return too.
Until next time - Happy Trails!
Melanie

Reviewed 12 October 2013

In a quiet, cobbled street in the white mountain village of Aracena we discovered ‘La Casa Noble’. It’s much more than a boutique Bed and Breakfast, it’s a beautifully restored and welcoming home with lots of character and style.
Once in our room I thought I just have a few minutes lying down – but once I was on the bed I didn’t want to get up again! The bed was really comfy, with a large mattress covered with luxurious downy, embracing topper – just like in a really upscale hotel.
The linens and decorative fabrics were really lovely - overall all the room was very welcoming and comfortable.
The bathroom was immaculate and had lots of Molton Brown toiletries, and in the wardrobe were large slippers and thick cotton robes – again, as in a posh hotel.
It was so unexposed to find this kind of luxury in a small Andalusian mountain village. I was there to explore the interior of Huelva province and owner Melanie arranged for us to tour a local ‘jamon’ estate and see how the world-famous local artisan ham is produced.
Later we all met up on the terrace, together with a couple of fellow guests that checked in at the same time as us. Looking out as the sun set over the village, we all enjoyed some local gourmet ham and sipped manzanilla sherry – heaven! This led to tapas in the village, and a really fun evening out.
Melanie is a great host, arranging for activities and tours as well making this elegant home feel welcoming and friendly.

Room Tip: From what I could see, and from our room, they are much bigger than they appear in the photographs.
1  Thank Andrew F
melaracena, Owner at La Casa Noble, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2013

Hey there - What a fab review . . . and what a fab night it was. As we said around the table - serendipitous to be sure. Sometimes the stars align and all the right personalities find themselves around the same table over bottles of manzanilla and great jamón.
Thanks for adding to the experience for the other guests that evening with your smile, charm and wit . . . and fabulous tales of travel from all over the globe. (The point of the Tapas at Twilight experience).
I know that the breakfast table was full of different languages - but thanks to your open attitudes and spirit of fun, everyone was speaking the common language of travel experiences and new friendships.
We look forward to having you both back here again soon . . unit then - Happy Trails!
Besos
Melaniexx

Reviewed 11 September 2013

We had a wonderful time at La Casa Noble. The atmosphere of the casa is fantastic and the rooms of the house are designed carefully and with a lot of love and care of the details. The breakfast was delicious! The surrounding of the Casa is beautiful as well and we have visited the Romeroa Reina de Los Angeles. This was a very special experience! Melanie gave us useful tips about the local area and good food recommandations.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
melaracena, Owner at La Casa Noble, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2013

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience and opinions with fellow travellers. It was a blast being able to share with you such an authentic Spanish celebration such as the Romeria. (not something the average tourist gets to share . . . especially from the back of a Carroza filled with friends and locals.)
We would love it if you could send us an email letting us know where we could have improved on our service, as we strive for nothing less than excellence at La Casa Noble. Anything that you could share as to how we can continue to improve on the experience for our future clients would be greatly appreciated.
I hope you enjoyed the photos that I sent through of the Romeria and the degustation dinner in Linares, I have a couple more that I will send hard copies of to you also.
Until the next time . . . or maybe at the Proef.

Reviewed 6 August 2013

Difficult to add to previous rave reviews. A really great place to stay, I really don't want everybody to know about it! The rooms have been designed carefully and expertly. Saw a few rooms ,all spacious with lots of special/funky touches. Ambience of breakfast perfect. And Melanie. What can I say? Helpful x 10', walked us round town showing us what's what. Always on hand to mix a mean G&T and much more. Great wit and conversation. Please keep it all up for our next visit.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
melaracena, Owner at La Casa Noble, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2013

Thanks so much for taking the time to write the review. It was an absolute pleasure having you both here in my home . . . although far too short. It doesn't take much convincing to enjoy the terraces in the cool Summer nights so I was only too pleased to whip up the G&T's so I could sit and enjoy one in your pleasant company! Until the next time then . . . chin chin.!