“Great hotel in great location”
Review of Hotel Rio Bidasoa

Hotel Rio Bidasoa
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Hondarribia
Bridgend, Wales, United Kingdom
“Great hotel in great location”
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed 1 night at start of driving tour of Northern spain. Very warm and helpful welcome from Sara in reception. Nice touch with free wine/juice/coffee on arrival. Ideal location for old town and bars etc. Dinner menu good and not overpriced. Don't agree with comment about 3 star pretending to be 4. Would recommend strongly.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Tony N
monica s, Director General at Hotel Rio Bidasoa, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Thanks very much Tony,
It´s very kind from your part taking your time to susbcribe your opinion even better such nice rated opinion.
We try do our best and will keep doing it this way.
Hope to see you again.
Mónica Sunsundegui
PD Sara sends you her bests!!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Australia
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Stayed in room 316 for 5 nights in June 2013, modern spacious room and nice grounds and convenient parking. The staff were helpful. Hondarribia is a nice town and a reasonable alternative to expensive Biarritz a little further north and a good place for exploring areas to the north and south which I did.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Welwyn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2013

This is really a three star hotel masquerading as a four-star hotel.

One thing that is very impressive is the attitude and helpfulness of the staff, they can't do enough for you. We had taken with us by ferry an off-roader mobility scooter which is quite big. It needs to be kept on charge. The staff let us keep it by reception. Also we have a type of bicycle carrier that goes on the back of the car for us to transport it. My husband had to take it off but is not easy and is time-consuming. A member of staff was so helpful in helping Mark and he also allowed us to store all the bits of the carrier in the boiler room.
The bar area is very nice and there are nice areas outside the bar to sit -- in the garden. The interior decor of your hotel is smart with lots of interesting quirky touches e.g. the shoes on strings in reception! The hotel is very clean
There are some strange ideas. We asked where we could get postcards and were told at the reception that no one sent postcards anymore it was all social media!! This is obviously wrong as there were lots of places to buy postcards.
I am disabled so I asked for an accessible room – this mainly means a shower not a bath and a raised toilet. The toilet was not raised and they had put hand rails which was so high that it was not possible for me to get on and off without my husband’s help. We had also asked for a room with a view and we hadn't got one. My husband asked for another room, but they didn't have another adapted room. There had obviously adapted a room that wasn't used much. This was poor. Then there was the housekeeping which was strange. The hotel provided small bars of soap. Every day the soaps which were fine to use would be thrown away and not replaced. My husband had to go to reception to get more soaps and we had to hide them!!! The other habit that the maid had was to move all our toiletries and my makeup which was in the bathroom and just shoved it to the side so she could clean the top but left all our stuff in total disarray.
Something that happened that we couldn't help but think it was funny was to do with the beds. They were single beds and they were low which meant I had some difficulty in getting up from the bed. I took the bed nearer the bathroom. One afternoon when we came back we found that my husband’s bed was a lot higher than mine!! On closer inspection it was to help a disabled person as it can raise higher and lower. But the staff didn't tell us about it.
The other problem which other reviewers have mentioned is that the air conditioning does not work properly and when you have temperatures over 30°C that is not good.
There is a nice restaurant (see separate review) which also serves breakfast. And there is the blindside of not understanding disability. The only way to get into the restaurant is using steps. There are some steps which are steep. It is a possibility that I could have managed them if there were hand rails on both sides but there weren't. So they had a ramp which goes over the steps. It was very steep and there is no way I could have managed that. So my husband had to take me down this ramp in a wheelchair - you had to get up speed to be able to do the ramp. This is not satisfactory and the hotel needs to do something about this.
Breakfast there was a very good choice of juices -- including freshly squeezed orange juice and nice fresh fruit. As previous reviewers have said there is a choice of eggs or toast which is very strange. But it is stranger than that. You can have two fried eggs or one boiled egg, but not two boiled eggs. Even if you asked for a medium boiled egg you always get an almost hard-boiled egg! If you asked for toast you got a piece of rather dry French toast.

As others have said a nice touch is that there are apples available in the corridors for guests.
So there are a lot of little things that are not good so I doubt if we would stay there again. Most importantly the hotel needs to sort out their access to the restaurant and also the disabled room. There should be another room with a view that could also be a disabled room.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LynnBari
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2013

It's a great drive from Pau in Aquitaine, France to Hondarribia in Spain. The drive across the mountains is exhilarating, and plenty of views to keep your passenger enthralled. The roads in Spain are just as good as their French neighbours are. Why are our roads like a third-world country. I remember Spain during General Franco's time in power, and they were terrible. Not so now.

The hotel is easy to find, and the car park is only of a moderate size, so in high-season it would never hold all the cars - but there are plenty of 'areas' outside the hotel to park.

This hotel has ultra-modern styling - you love it, or hate it. My wife likes modern styling, whereas I prefer the older stuff. Apart from that, the rooms were spotless, again with coffee making facilities. The room I had had one of the best hotel safes, I've ever used, digital with a six-digit combination, that worked faultlessly every time - and it is free-of-charge.

The bathrooms are nice, well-equipped, even with soap and conditioner dispensers. The towels are nice and big, and I even had a window in our bathroom.

The downside to the rooms for me was the air-conditioning. Our room was like a sauna and I had it on full blast.This was room 203, and the maid even complained about it being too warm. They moved us to room 204, just around the corner, which was a lot cooler, but not brilliantly so. The hotel receptionist (Valerie) was very pleasant and courteous, and tried to explain to us that the system they had was not true air conditioning, but more of an air recycling system.
I found all the staff at this hotel very pleasant and helpful.

Breakfast here, was again continental type. You got asked when you came in if you would like boiled eggs or toast, and I had the toast every morning. The bread has a lovely, firm texture, and they give you a 'doorstep' slice. The Serrano type ham on offer, is also really tasty accompanied with some of the excellent local cheeses. I must say that we enjoyed breakfast, as everything looked so fresh and tempting.

Go out the hotel door to the gate, turn right and walk to the end of the street. Across the road you will see the old town, surrounded by what looks like a Roman wall. Cross the road and turn left, then walk down to the end at the intersection. Turn left and walk up the little hill (about 50 yards) and you will see an archway and gate into the old town.

Go through this gate, and be transported back in time a few hundred years. Walk up and down the little, narrow, cobbled streets filled with very small houses. I expect these houses are now owned by some rich people, as I can't see them being reasonably priced in such an old and established area. In the main square there is one of Spain's paradors. It was originally some Spanish King's palace, in the 10th century I believe. It has 28 beautiful rooms, some at even more beautiful prices! You MUST go inside and have a good look around, and perhaps coffee.

There are a couple of tapas bars outside the parador, but personally I don't think you get value for money. You are paying for the location as opposed to food.

Walk the short distance to the new town and, one street is filled with tapas bars. I can vouch for the calamari, which is lovely and crisp, very well-seasoned, and very tender squid inside that crispy-coating. It is difficult to cook this dish consistently, as they do here. I had it every day, and for 8 Euros you get a BIG plateful. They also do it cooked in their own ink, but I can't remember what it is called. Nice, just the same.

There are a few restaurants at the sea front. We tried the Italian one, and it cost me 8 euros for what could only be described as a plate of spaghetti, with nothing else. I thought it was a rip-off and wouldn't go back there.

All-in-all, a nice place for holiday. I thought 4 days was just the right length of time to stay here. Any longer, it becomes too repetitious.

Good hotel, kind, courteous staff, and you will get a good night's sleep.

Room Tip: This is a really quiet area and I would say that any room in this hotel and you will get a good nigh...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2013

My friend and I stayed at this lovely hotel for a long weekend at the beginning of February and we absolutely loved it. To start with, the first thing that we liked was the location; just a short walking distance to the old town and the "tapas bars". At the arrival, the staff were welcoming, friendly and efficient (they reccommended us some places to go and even helped us booking a restaurant for that night). The room we were given was really nice, overlooking the pool. It was clean, comfortable and spacious and the bathroom was a little bit of a spa experience, with an amazing "ecologica" shower, as they called it (it was a struggle to get my friend out of the shower in the morning!). Aside from the deliciuous free apples everywhere (which also added a cute, original touch to the place) we found that the food in their restautant was amazing (the veal and the hake highly reccommened!).
It´s quite obvious that they make an effort with the customers and pay a lot of attention to detail which is always appreciated: the free parking, free Wi-fi and a free welcoming drink. I would definitely come back again, possibly in the spring or summer to relax and enjoy the garden pool this time!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
ipema, Director General at Hotel Rio Bidasoa, responded to this review, 19 March 2013
Wow Jane! It´s seems that you´ve enjoyed your stay among us!!!
We all really appreciate your comments and hope to welcome you again very soon.
Next time you should visit Hondarribia from first of June on our pool and garden will be waiting for you!
Thanks a lot!
London
Reviewed 16 September 2012

Hondarribia is unlike any resort on the Mediterranean. It has an old town centre,lovely seaside promenades, boats galore and France 100metres across the water.
Our research suggested we try the Hotel Rio Bidasoa which is a short walk from the sea. It was an unpretentious smallish hotel with nice rooms and a first class restaurant. It was used by local guests which is always a good sign. The Hotel was staffed largely with young people who provided us with excellent service.
Our evening meals exceeded our expectations providing interesting food allied to a good wine list.
Our stop was for 2 days which was about right. Overall a very good stopover Hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed on the first floor which was pleasant and quiet.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Max055
ipema, Director General at Hotel Rio Bidasoa, responded to this review, 12 March 2013
Thanks a lot for your opinion.
We try our best !
Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 September 2012

The only thing myself, her indoors or our baby could find to complain about was the lack of mirrors in the room. Vanity aside, great location, great rooms, friendly staff, really clean, pool area immaculate, food and drink reasonable in the cafe area, the restaurant had good offers for daily menu's. Tremendous free apples on every floor too, we couldn't get enough of them.
Definitely stay there again when up that neck of the woods.

Room Tip: Don't know I only stayed in one of them but pool view was good!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank n00fsjw
monica s, Director General at Hotel Rio Bidasoa, responded to this review, 17 September 2012
I am very pleased to know that you really enjoyed your stay among us. We try to do our best to make everyone feel comfortable when visiting us. We just finished painting and redecorating all the rooms last June and in fact we realised that we had forgotten about mirrors. “That’s our next task to ameliorate the conditions indoors”. We will be doing this at winter time.

Thank you so much for your compliments, words like yours encourage us to keep on working to be at the top.

We will be very grateful to receive your visit again in future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hondarribia
Hotel Jauregui
Hotel Palacete
Hotel Palacete
#7 of 8 in Hondarribia
Hotel Serge Blanco & Thalassotherapy Center

Been to Hotel Rio Bidasoa? Share your experiences!