“Dogs”
Review of The Feathers Hotel

The Feathers Hotel
The Feathers Hotel
Reviewed 18 March 2012

My husband and I together with my husbands parents chose to have a meal at The Feathers on a Saturday evening. A nice family came and sat at the next table with ther dog. We were very shocked to see a dog in an eating area but accepted that we were in a rural area and hoped the dog would be well behaved,unfortunately the arrival of more dogs proved our concerns were correct. Suddenly we were no longer at a restaurant, we were at a kennels with dogs growling and barking and owners trying to hold there dogs back. We asked the bar staff if we could have another table but there were none available,so decided to go elsewhere. The landlady explained that as they had started cooking our starters we would have to pay for it even if we didnt eat it. Her justification was there were signs on the front of the pub and the website stating that dogs were welcome. Neither is true, apart from a small sign inside the pub which asks owners to keep there dogs on leads,which isn't much help when you book over the phone. I suggest in future when customers book a table the landlady informs them that they may be sharing there meal with dogs. We will not be returning EVER? On the plus side we did have a lovely meal elsewhere minus barking dogs, so the evening was not a total waste

Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
9  Thank Kim S
There are newer reviews for The Feathers Hotel

Reviewed 15 August 2011

We were very happy with our stay at The Feathers Hotel. We booked a last minute room for a New Years Eve get away. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable. The pub staff and land lady - Joan were really friendly and we had a perfect night partying in the new year at The Feathers. Thanks Joan and the friendly locals.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank indauk
Reviewed 12 August 2011

We stay here once or twice a year. Yes, it is rooms above a pub but they are very clean and the beds are comfortable. The shower is good and the breakfast very nice. There was not too much noise from the pub downstairs. There is free internet access but it is a bit patchy.

The Feather is a good traditional pub with skittle alley, public and lounge bars. The food is good and the atmosphere friendly. Joan, the owner, works very hard as do her staff. She has always been friendly and hospitable to us.

Like the previous poster I do think it is unfair for a review to be published by someone who has never stayed. Yes, there may have been a mixup over the booking but, with so few reviews the TA rating for this hotel will be affected unfairly.

The Feathers is not a 4 star hotel, nor does it pretend to be. It is comfortable, unpretentious and friendly. Rooms at the back are a bit quieter than the front because of morning noise from the high street. At night it is very quiet. We have stayed at the Feathers for Bank Holidays and New Years Eve where the atmosphere is great and the whole pub pours out into the street for Auld Lang Syne accompanied by violin and accordion!

Room Tip: The front room is the most spacious. The back rooms are quieter in the mornings.
  • Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank St-Lucia_Enthusiast
Reviewed 8 August 2011

The Feathers Hotel is by far my favourite Place to stay in Budleigh possibly even Devon,
I was upset to read the reviews given by Surrey Girl (who has never even been there!) mum1958, and Carolemay59! It all seems a bit of a witch hunt really to blacken the name
of a quality establishment. My girlfriend and I have stayed at the feather on a number of occasions and received excellent customer service every time. The Staff give a warm friendly service and the land lady is always willing to go that extra mile! I have stayed is all three rooms which are very clean with excellent facilities and the breakfast is amazing !!!!
I would recommend the Feathers to anybody !!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank boardini
Reviewed 2 August 2011

I just wanted to leave a post(something I have been meaning to do for a while). We have stayed at the Feathers Hotel many times during the last few years, and even stayed one New Years Eve, which was absolutely fantastic. We really enjoy staying there and often recommend friends and family who have all has fantastic stays at this place too. It is really great value for money, with clean, comfortable rooms and the best breakfasts. The landlady and her excellent team were always very welcoming and ready to accommodate your needs - this has happened when we have had to change plans many times. We really look forward to staying there again soon. thanks again to Joan and the staff for all your friendly welcome.

• Stayed: July 2011
3  Thank Wellsboy10
Reviewed 21 July 2011

Having enjoyed a wonderful day celebrating my cousin's wedding we were disappointed when we later went with them to check in only to find that they had double booked and were told that they had to stay elsewhere. However when they returned the following morning to ask for something as way of compensation they were offered nothing! not even a complimentary bottle of fizz for their inconvenience. If you want to stay somewhere that has no idea about offering quality service and even less idea of customer satisfaction then I suggest you book here!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank mum1958
Reviewed 18 July 2011

I had booked a room in this pub/hotel for our wedding night as we love Budleigh and wanted somewhere close to seafront so that we could have an early morning walk along beach.
We had gone there with some of our wedding guests to have fish and chips on the beach but when we got there we were greeted by the news that we had been double booked and she had booked us into another hotel some way from the sea front up a steep hill. Well we only live a few miles away so the only reason we wanted to stay there was for the proximity of the beach. All we got was apologies including the line "it has never happened before"! , Despite the fact she knew that it was our wedding day she offered nothing in the way of compensation not even a drink.
My husband is in the Budleigh Salterton male voice choir and after every practice many of them go to the Feathers for a drink as I told her they do not have to go there, there is a very nice pub the Salterton Arms they can go to and I sincerely they only go there in the future.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank carolemay59
Feathershotel35, Owner at The Feathers Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2011

I would very much like to take the opportunity to reply to all three posts here, which are evidently related. At the Feathers, we pride ourselves in delivering value for money and the best service possible, and we have many happy customers through our doors every day and guests returning every year - this is how we measure our excellent standards.

At times, mistakes do happen, like on this occasion where we found a bedroom had been double booked. These incidences are extremely rare, and in this instance I personally went to considerable effort to ensure you were accommodated in the town at no extra expense.

I do sincerely understand your disappointment however, I believe this matter was dealt with in a more than satisfactory manner. I wish you and your new husband all the very best for the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Budleigh Salterton
#1 of 13 in Sidmouth
The Manor Hotel
The Manor Hotel
#9 of 11 in Exmouth

Been to The Feathers Hotel? Share your experiences!