“Beautiful Home Cooked Food!!”

The Feathers Restaurant
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
ludlow
“Beautiful Home Cooked Food!!”
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Four of us visited last week, We had fish and chips, jacket potato and cottage pie, all the meals were very good and the vegetables cooked to perfection and great value for money! We didn't have room for desert so asked if we could take some with us because we couldn't resist the lemon roulade with clotted cream, yummy. If we ever go back to Devon we will definitely return, but will make a reservation next time!! as we hadn't booked and they didn't have an available table, many thanks to the elderly gentleman that served us and made room for us we were very grateful, especially as we got to eat your delicious food.

• Visited October 2013
7 Thank barbshrop

Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
“Good Homecooked Food”
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I went for a family meal when visiting Budleigh and was very pleasantly surprised,I ordered the Fish and Chips which was well presented and beautifully cooked,we were all happy with our meals a couple of the party had the steak which they were happy with, dinner was a success all round and I would hope to return.

• Visited August 2013
9 Thank Libsj25
Brighton, United Kingdom
“warm and friendly”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We visited The Feathers on a recent trip to the area and had dinner in the restaurant one evening . The pub has a really traditional feel still and is a very warm and friendly place. The food was very good home cooked fare and plenty of it for the price and the staff and locals were friendly and welcoming what more could you want? We will be back

• Visited September 2013
10 Thank eileenj254
EXETER
“Oh dear....a significant drop in standards”
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We have eaten here on numerous occasions but not in the last few weeks due to holidays and work commitments. We didn't recognise any of the staff and I guess that the pub may well have changed hands? Unfortunately our experience would suggest that this has not been a change for the better. In fairness my pint of Pride was perfectly good. We ordered main courses but when these were brought out one of the dishes was not what had been ordered. The waitress was friendly when dealing with the error but it did mean that one person was delayed in getting food which does take the edge off the dining experience. The chicken when it did come was overcooked. We ordered dessert and paid the bill. We were then told that one of the desserts was unavailable. I thought that the girl who told us was another waitress, my wife thought she was a cook. Either way at best her attitude was casual disinterest while at worst she appeared to me to be a bit grubby....chipped nail polish.....fingers in mouth.....not what you want really. I said we would just have two desserts and I would have my money back for the unavailable dessert. I was told that she would sort that out. The desserts turned up. The upside down pineapple was nice but the fruit crumble was not hot. Somewhat predictably despite the pub not been busy no refund was forthcoming so I had to go to the bar. It took a few minutes to get served and then I was asked if I wanted to pay the bill even though I had paid the person posing the question to me only 10 minutes earlier. At this point I spoke to a man and explained that our dining experience had not been good. He did apologise and said we should make ourselves known next time and he would make sure we were looked after. The problem is that whilst we were regular customers dining probably 4 times a month at this pub, we are now uncertain whether to return or not. We certainly would not want a repeat performance and there are lots of competing venues. A real disappointment.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank martyn s
Budleigh Salterton, null, United Kingdom
“lunch just right”
Reviewed 4 October 2013

You can request a "senior's portion" at £1 off but the regular price is already good (<£6) The calf liver and bacon comes with delicious gravy and creamy mash. My friend says the batter on the fish was really light and crisp. Friendly.

Visited August 2013