“Over rated”
Review of Premier Cafe

Premier Cafe
Price range: US$9 - US$19
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Fish cafe serving local fish as well as award-winning fish and chips.Also has non- fish and veterinarian options and is licences. Along side the restaurant is a busy fish and chip take-away
Reviewed 21 July 2013

In the past frequently visiting relatives would insist that we visited this cafe either to eat in or take away to eat on the sea front. This was always more than acceptable and to a good standards.
This ended some time ago now when on a similar visit to the one being reviewed July 2013. the fish and chips were not good value at all with small fish and chips that were brown and rather limp and rubbery.
On the 20th July 2013 I thought, to be fair, and being hungry I would try again. I had fish and chips, bread and butter and tea. Unfortunately the chips were exactly the same as I remember them before, In fairness the fish was not bad although a little small.
On the table was a "Premier cafe" card stating that if the customer did not enjoy the meal "please tell us" I told the lady serving about my experiences, my quiet measured comments were not well received. this meal was cost £11.20 with a bill that was not itemised.
Definitely not award winning.

1  Thank clifsen
Blissetts, Owner at Premier Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2013

We are sorry you were dissatisfied with your meal. We would have replaced the meal without question but you did not make any comment until you requested the bill, and the whole meal had been finished. We absolutely take on board all customers’ comments, which are greatly valued.

Reviewed 20 July 2013

I have been here roughly 5 times in the last year and when there no queues and out of holiday season the amount and quality of chips is good. The chips aren't cheap so I expect good quality and portion size. A few months ago I bought a bag of large chips here and it filled the whole bag and was a very good meal for 2. Today I queued for 30 minutes and got a bag that was about 1/3rd full. They were very busy and were taking a lot of orders (and money) and I guess they had to make sure that they didn't run out of food. I also ordered a few other items that were soggy (not cooked fully?). It is a shame as if they want to keep the locals happy and coming back for more they need to provide consisent quality throughout the year. I feel as though I should only come here when it is the non tourist season. However, if I was a tourist and wanted to get chips here I would wait for a quiet time (or go elsewhere if they are busy).

1  Thank PWNN
Blissetts, Owner at Premier Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2013

I am sorry you felt that your chip portion was small and that you were unhappy with you fish.

If you email me your details i will arrange for you to have a free Fish and chips on your next visit.. Please use the link on our website.

With regard to the chips, the bag should be .2/3 full allowing for the top to be turned over. We never adjust chip portions depending on the number of people waiting but human error is always possible!

Reviewed 19 July 2013

After being recommended by a friend,it lived up to all expectations and was deliciously freshly caught and cooked,will certainly be coming again. The restaurant was very nice too.

Reviewed 19 July 2013

Lots of interesting reviews on this. Firstly worth noting that this is a small chip shop with an old fashioned cafe attached. That's its charm, it's simple and does not pretend to be anything else.
Staff in cafe were very polite. Fish was very good but not perhaps excellent. Prices fair, fish especially Cod etc is now very expensive. Batter good and well cooked on outside and soft on inside. Is it award level, difficult to say, almost every chip shop down here seems to win either an award or be in a town that wins some type of local, regional, national, global finalist in some competition. They like their competitions down here and you can't say they are not inclusive everyone's a winner!
Fair selection of other fish and children's menus available. Is it worth a special trip, not really, is it worth stopping if you are in area or on way, yes.

Reviewed 29 June 2013

On a mini break in Budleigh Salterton, the Premier came recommended by our hosts and did not disappoint. We booked a table, but a quiet week in June meant we were the only ones sitting down! A steady stream of customers for takeaway however. As Yorkshire folk we have high fish and chip standards and the Premier lived up to these. We had a standard fish n chips and a seafood medley, both were excellent. Wine list also very reasonably priced. Whole meal was great.

1  Thank jellybean64