“A Great Find”
Review of Premier Cafe

Premier Cafe
Price range: US$9 - US$19
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Fish cafe serving local fish as well as award-winning fish and chips.Also has non- fish and veterinarian options and is licences. Along side the restaurant is a busy fish and chip take-away
Reviewed 22 June 2014

This "chippie" (it is much more than that) is just off the main street - we only came across it due to its excellent signage from the beach and main street. A really nice ambience and excellent, friendly service. Our group of 3 all had battered fish and chips and it was fantastic. I go to lots of business lunches in the City and elsewhere and the quality of the food here matched the very best. A classic British dish done simply and very very well.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

A little gem of a place tucked away in Chapel Street. Obviously well-known to the locals as all tables - bar one which we grabbed - were reserved.
Our fish and chips arrived after quite a wait. But we were not disappointed: crisp batter and succulent cod which was on a par with far more expensive restaurant meals.
We were served by Harriet who was efficient and pleasant - service with a smile is to be commended these days!
Would definitely recommend and will visit next time we are in Budleigh.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

We arrived in Budleigh Salterton just after the main lunch hour and there were very few places to eat. We found this lovely chip shop and café in a side road, Chapel street, quite by accident. It was very quiet but the service was excellent, and the meal was superb. My husband had a "small" cod and chips which would have fed us both and I had a mixed fish platter which included Whitebait which I don't like. The very helpful and friendly waitress kindly arranged for me to have calamari instead. The chips were lovely. We said we couldn't manage pudding...but we did¬

Reviewed 9 June 2014

What a great place to have a great fish!!! Great starter and a wonderfull GRILLED seabas cooked to perfection!! Wine goes well too! Met chef/owner, lovely guy.Will we go back?
DEFINATELY YES!!

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Ate here last week for the third or fourth time after driving down. It says on the tables "if you like us tell Tripadvisor, if not tell us" If I though it would have helped I would have told them, but the failings are so endemic it would not have helped. The good - the fish - fresh and well cooked in a light crispy batter. The rest - Chips, small, tough and not very many, been left in the hot box way too long. Awful. Garden peas - ok, microwaved frozen peas, as expected. One tablespoonful only, ridiculaous. Tartare sauce - hmm, a dessertspoonful (between 2) of tasteless catering junk with unidentifiable green flecks. Awful. Fish - tiny frankly, no bigger than a "small" around hone, and they're next to the sea!. Poor value at £9 a head. I guess they're trying to sell more "jumbo" cods, but I'll not pay that price, and won't be returning sadly.

1  Thank Richard F
Blissetts, Owner at Premier Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

I am sorry you had a disappointing meal but if you were unhappy you should have mentioned it to either the duty manager or one of the waitresses. I totally understand you comment about the quality of chips as it is the end of last years crop and quality is a problem but the chips were not left in the box too long as we have a 10 minute rule by which time the chips have been replenished at least once. Tartare sauce - it is home made using a recipe I was given at the Waitrose training school not catering junk as you have incorrectly stated. Sorry it wasn't to your taste. Please don't complain about the tartare portions size , simply ask for some more.
For your information all our cod is from sustainable stocks in the north Atlantic. each filet is cut to 5.5 oz for both restaurant and take away as has been for at least 5 years.
I don't have a problem with reviews as they enable me to resolve any issues but I do think that if you are writing a review you should get you facts right!