“Fab Fresh Fish”
Review of Premier Cafe

Premier Cafe
Price range: US$9 - US$19
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Fish cafe serving local fish as well as award-winning fish and chips.Also has non- fish and veterinarian options and is licences. Along side the restaurant is a busy fish and chip take-away
Reviewed 3 September 2014

We have visited Budleigh on many occasions and have bought take away fish and chips here. A short walk to the cliff top, plenty of benches to sit on and if you are lucky a magnificent sunset to watch as you consume one of the best take away fish and chips you can buy.
On this occasion we decided to eat in. Best to book in busy periods as the seating is limited, not cramped but it is not a huge restaurant. If you have bought farmed bass from a supermarket you will know it is OK. If you have ever had fresh from the sea, locally caught bass you will appreciate the difference. Cooked to order, so you will have to wait, the fish we had was just the most succulent, sweet and tasty bass I have eaten in a long time. Fish this good is worth the wait and indeed driving a fair distance to find. Give them a try if you can, it is good value and served with a smile, thank you Emma.

There are newer reviews for Premier Cafe

Reviewed 30 August 2014

Have visited the Premier a few times, both last summer and again this summer. You are greeted at the door by smiling waitresses- Harriet and Emma who are an absolute treat to be served by. You are then showed a selection of tables (when the restaurant is quiet) and asked which one would be your preference (I personally prefer table 3 as it's by the widow but I would strongy advise that you book if you want this table as it is often booked up early in the day!). When the restaurant is busy there is understandably a wait on both food and even getting a table (BOOK IN ADVANCE especially on Fridays and Saturday as you'll be lucky to walk in and just be given one).
The food is good, easily a 5 out of 5, the fryer cooks all the fried fish and chips to perfection and the girls always turn out well cooked grills and mussles. (Yes that's right! The waitresses also double up as cooks in the kitchen! - definitely some understaffing here which needs attention as waitresses should not be expected to both cook food and serve it!)
Your orders are taken promptly whether the restaurant is busy or quite, drinks are then delivered to you, waitresses always tell you if there's going to be a wait and offer you some complementary chips!
The restaurant is clean, well presented and full of colourful pictures painted by a local artist which definitely brightens up the restaurant a lot.

My only fault, be a rather big one, lays souly within the management. The restaurant is run and owned by husband and wife (who be it not my place to say do not exactly get on well at all. You can often hear them in the kitchen (situated right next to the restaurant) bickering and arguing with one another, this is really off putting when you are sitting with your family trying to enjoy a nice meal and all you can hear is the managers shouting even swearing at one another often even the staff which is highly unprofessional! If you don't get on - don't work together, simples)
Every time I have visited this establishment I have been able to hear the management swearing and shouting at staff I haven't complained before because it wasn't ever as bad as this evening.
I arrived at the cafe with my mother, father and fiancé. We were seated quickly and orders taken promptly by a waitress. We could see the restaurant was busy so understood that there would be a slight wait, we received our bowl of chips and drinks and sat and relaxed whilst we waited for our food to arrive. The next thing I knew I could hear a woman come into the kitchen area and start shouting and swearing at her staff (rather loudly if I do say so myself) which was really off putting not only to my family but also you could see looking around, a lot of other customers in the restaurant had heard the commotion, something about our waitress (the only waitress on this evening) not doing a good enough job and how angry she was at her.
I completely disagreed at this point and so did many others as shocked faces filled the restarant.
After tonight I really do not think I will be returning, tonight was the final straw.

Overall- amazing service from our waitress, not so amazing service from the flustered management.

My advise?
-Hire more staff, it's not fair to only have one waitress on a busy evening.
-Management, some serious anger management and customer service classes are needed promptly or you will lose even more business.

7  Thank JennyDowly
Blissetts, Owner at Premier Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

Thank you for your review, the praise for staff, our food and our restaurant. As for your other comments, steps are being taken to address these issues.
I totally agree with your comment on how good the girls are at front of house but this is only part of the job.
With 2 or more girls working, one is responsible for dealing with our customers in the restaurant, one of the others prepping meals, supporting the take-away and grilling.
The waitress at your table should not be cooking your food as stated. If they are they are not managing the restaurant correctly. Only in quieter times might they be asked to do both.
Please be assured that all the people cooking food are fully trained!

As with most businesses, there can be staff issues.Unfortunately last weekend we were two people down, one sent home due to sickness and I have just had an ankle operation - there were no more staff to call upon!

A commercial kitchen is a stressful place and mistakes are made and judgments questioned. I am in full agreement that our customers should be unaware of any issues and whole heartedly apologise.

I do not know the full details regarding your latest visit but will investigate and take the appropriate action.

Reviewed 30 August 2014

Trying to find somewhere to eat in budleigh in the evening was hard but luckily the chip shop was open, and boy was I glad. The queue was a little long but I think it was well worth the wait! Lovely fish and chips and not too badly priced. There's a restaurant and take away there, both menus were good but we just had a take away. Great service, good value for money and good food. Will be back!

Reviewed 28 August 2014

The queues it is true can be quite lengthy here but that is only testament to the good quality and good reputation of this establishment. This happens to be the best fish and chip shop in Devon IMHO. I don't know why I am telling you all this as it is not going to help shorten the waiting times. The restaurant is small, intimate and friendly if you prefer dining in a bit more style. Also licenced with carefully selected wines and beers. Go and enjoy!

Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

Best fish and chips we've had for a long time. Great service. Smart restaurant. Good service. Good value for money
Strongly recommend it.