“A great surprise”
Review of A slice of lyme

A slice of lyme
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We were visiting Budleigh Salterton on a dog walking day out and needed to go somewhere for a bite to eat. We set out to just find somewhere to get a sandwich and came across A Slice of Lyme. We all spotted the seafood chowder on the menu (for a very reasonable price) and decided to have that. It took a bit longer than expected for the food to come but when it did we were all very impressed by the chowder. It was delicious and the perfect portion for lunch.

We had some cake (they have a great range of cakes and desserts) for dessert. The lemon cake was full of flavour and the chocolate cake equally delicious.

I would definitely recommend A Slice of Lyme to anyone who is around Budleigh Salterton and I can see many more dog walking trips in that area so we can visit this restaurant afterwards.

1  Thank Amy D

Reviewed 15 September 2013

We ordered a light lunch here recently - the service was very, very slow; staff didn't seem to take the hint when you were attempting to catch their eye! In addition to this, my mum ordered a sandwich in which she pulled out two long, visible hairs which were sticking out of the sandwich... God knows whether there were any more hidden inside - we didn't check! Staff did take the meal off our bill (she didn't eat it and sent it back to the kitchen) but weren't hugely apologetic, nor did they make much of an effort to make amends for this. We got the impression that perhaps it had happened before? I had a "home-made" burger which I did eat, however, it was entirely flavourless and didn't give the impression of being home-made at all. Other people had ordered the burger and I noticed that they were all a very regular shape and exactly the same size/thickness. Both meals were accompanied with frozen oven chips; so, overall, not a great experience! In addition to this, despite one main meal being taken off the bill, it was still very expensive for one burger and two drinks!

debbie t, Owner at A slice of lyme, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2013

We are very surprised by the tone and title of this review after going back to the table twice to apologize and offering an alternative meal and a large glass of wine free of charge, we were unaware that there was such ill feeling and thought that the situation had been resolved.

Despite the situation being unacceptable My colleague gave the impression the hair had been found on the side of the plate and as it did not match anyone from the kitchen we thought it might have come from the waitress as she carried the plate out (even though her hair was tied up).

We were completely unaware that you did not enjoy your burger .

Our burgers are handmade on the premises with meat from then local butchers, they are weighed on digital scales therefore are the same size and shape .
Only one other burger was served that lunch time therefore I do not understand your sentence "Other people had ordered the burger ....".

Our chips are deep fried to order and not oven chips.

Sorry you felt our service was slow but it was a lunch time rush and everything is made to order.

We pride ourselves on friendly service and reasonable prices and are saddened by your comments .

Reviewed 8 September 2013

All my guests very much enjoyed their meal but I had pan fried fish which had no flavour at all. I might eat there again if we were down that way. I know its in the country but there were flies in the restaurant which were very irritating, an easy thing for the restaurant to deal with, I hope they do. If my fish had been better I would have awarded one more star.

Reviewed 5 September 2013

With its rustic feel this place reminds me of what I like most about a traditional Greek taverna. It's not Greek food but there is always a variety, fish meat and veggie and interesting combinations at that. Mussels are a fav with me. Avoid the pavlova as its usually a filled meringue ring! The home cooked puts are wonderfully as is the ice cream. For a real blow out have ice cream with clotted cream. I go here a lot with family and friends.

Reviewed 30 August 2013

Had a lovely meal here yesterday, would have been a 4 star review if there had been just one more member of staff out front. Food great, but to have just one waitress serving the whole restaurant and bar seems unrealistic.