“Second home!”

Budleigh Salterton Riding School
Exmouth, United Kingdom
“Second home!”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The stables is my second home! I love every minute of my time here. All of the instructors and staff are cheerful and friendly and always happy to help and assist. The horses are all lovely and look happy and well cared for. When I first started to ride here I was carefully matched to a horse that was appropriate to my ability and my instructor was patient and encouraging. I was hooked from my very first lesson. The yard is set in a lovely part of East Devon and the surrounding area is wonderful to go hacking in. Would recommend to everyone!

3 Thank Natalie H

London, United Kingdom
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“An experience of two halves”
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

We visited with our daughter during the Whitsun week half term and the fact that it was so busy may have affected the experience.

We booked by phone on the morning we visited and managed to book a fifteen minute lesson followed by a 15 minute ride (hack?) for our daughter.

When we arrived on site, it wasn't immediately obvious where we needed to report and we found the office open but deserted. Staff were teaching in the paddock but we didn't want to disturb them so there we waited.

Eventually a member of staff appeared and started to run about the place organising horses, staff and equipment, all the while completely ignoring us.

Much later, another member of staff appeared, asked us if we were alright and told us that someone would be with us soon.

Eventually, the first member of staff reappeared and stood still for long enough for me to talk to her and we were given a short form to complete. As we finished filling this in, the phone rang and without looking up she spent 10 minutes on the phone taking a booking whilst were left waiting for something to happen. Much later a different passing member of staff asked if we were being looked after and as our original host was still talking on the phone we transferred our attention to her instead.

So. 40 minutes after we arrived and 25 minutes after the appointed time for the lesson my daughter finally made it onto a horse.

Although it was five minutes short of the 30 minutes allotted The lesson itself was excellent and our daughter really enjoyed herself. There is a fab, friendly and efficient on site cafe overlooking the paddock so you can watch your child.

Perhaps we caught them on a bad day, perhaps not, but the poor service we experienced would make us think twice before returning.

1 Thank Pete S
Exeter, United Kingdom
“My Sanctuary”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I have been lucky enough to ride here for many years, with family, friends and colleagues. The family and staff are always welcoming and friendly and nothing is too much trouble. The welfare of the horses and ponies and rider safety and enjoyment is paramount. It is the best yard I have ever ridden at, it is set within a wonderful and tranquil woodland setting and whatever the weather, being there always provides me with a true sense of well being. I love it!

3 Thank Sally F
London, United Kingdom
“Thank you, again!”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I have spent time at the stables 4 or 5 times now over the last couple of years. First time with my then 10 year old niece and have been back on my own since. This kind of environment takes years to create and so much hard work to manage, i remember how much i loved my local yard as a kid and this place is reminiscent of that. it was wonderful to share it with my niece, i was the same age when my passion really began. I believe it has been run by the same family for a couple of generations now and it really shows. There are horses and ponies to suit all - shetlands to ex race horses and ex army service horses, on my first visit we met an old pony who was maybe 30 years old, no longer working of course but still there being loved and cared for, enjoying his retirement! there are links with the army I believe and several retired service horses now live and work here - the level of training is extraordinary. These horses are wonderful to ride. the knowledge of the staff is fantastic, they all seem to know each horse and all their different characteristics. I have learned something every time I have visited and as a confident, rusty, experienced rider this is a great pleasure. Like all these places: you get out of it as much as you want and the staff have always been keen to engage and share knowledge and stories, especially when out riding over the common that is directly opposite the yard, it couldn't be any better located. I have ridden 6 different horses, maybe more, they were all impeccably well behaved. it is simply impossible to disguise an unhappy horse! I have just returned from 2 weeks in Devon, i made the hour long (each way) trip 5, maybe 6 times I think. Compliments to all the team, it is evident how much work and love goes into this place. I am happy to have discovered it and am looking forward to going back again in the summer. There is only praise from me!!

3 Thank DRW1968
Exeter, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Birthday Gift”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

ok so first off I'm not a rider but my sister is, I got her a 1 hour Hack for her Birthday as she hadnt ridden for awhile.

I was a little concerned after reading the previous review however my experience was excellent, The horse were far from bored even a sunny day, they were full of life. The staff friendly and helpful, time in Budleigh obviously runs slow as it was well over a hour they were out for, and at the price they charge for a hour its great value ( its a very long Hour).

i stayed at the oak lodge and had a coffee being entertained by a jumping lesson that was going on, a great venue to pass some time such a stunning building and to sit and watch the horses was great even for a non rider.

My sister was assessed before her ride to make sure she was capable to ride the Horse selected for esp. as she was a bit rusty to say the lease !

She loved the Hack and hasn't stopped talking about it since she got back and said the Horse was first rate.

i can only assume the previous comment was made by a beginner on a Horse chosen for ability a more spirited Horse would have been Dangerous for a beginner to ride, and as for having spent a few hours at the stables its clear to me that no matter what age you are you can ride and a beginner is a beginner age is irrelevant, i saw some small children showing real horsemanship at the stables. I do believe AGE is irrelevant and safety is paramount.

This stable is a gem