“best pub for miles”

The Sir Walter Raleigh
Price range: US$5 - US$20
Dining options: Reservations
Description: 16th century village pub. 4 good cask beers with traditional pub food. we are open from 11.00 to 14.30 then 18.00 to 23.00.
“best pub for miles”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I would recommend The Sir Walter Raleigh to anyone, Chris and Sally go all out to make you feel welcome, good selection of ales at very good prices, I have been to this pub many times with my mates, I only live 3 miles away its well worth a visit, it is with out doubt the best pub around.

1 Thank ronald m

“A Perfect Village Pub”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

As a local I love coming here. It is great ale and great pub food. Chris and Sally have done wonders with this place. I would recommend it especially the ham egg and chips

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Kmas2014
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Cracking village pub”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Great beer superb friendly staff lovely pub have a great time every time my partner and I visit. The landlord takes a great pride of his ales.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Saints111
“A cracking little pub”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I often drop in here as i'm a local.

Cut to the chase and waste no time....it's the best rural pub for miles. The landlord (Chris) is a lovely chap and the staff very amiable. There is a good selection of local ales. If you like your real ales and one of the CAMRA set you'll be in seventh heaven. Chris chooses the guest beers very well indeed.

It's also a gastro pub and the food is locally sourced. A group of friends and myself choose to dine here on our annual christmas dinner. It's a proper olde worlde pub with low ceilings, exposed beams and resident ghosts. A pub with a soul.

Try it. You won't be disappointed.

2 Thank Terrobean
christopher j m, Owner at The Sir Walter Raleigh, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Sally and i would like to say thank you to the person who left the last review.We strive to give good service,good pub food and good beer from the West Country all at the best Price we can manage.
Otago Region, New Zealand
“Calling all Kiwis and Aussies!!!! Small minded bigots.....”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

If your idea of a nice quiet evening meal and pint is to be verbally abused by small minded bigots then you have found the right place! We went to pay for our meal at the bar which was occupied by a number of older men, who couldn't keep their comments to themselves and are obviously threatened by colonials! hahaha. My sister is now contemplating standing on street corners for her beer money as she was kindly called a hooker as she had just been to Daniel K Hair dressing salon in Budleigh Salterton and had her hair beautifully cut and coloured a lovely shade of dark red (think Roxanne) So we went away and came back appropriately dressed in the correct attire as we found it all highly amusing because it was laughable only to walk in the door and were asked if we had missed our boat home?! The saddest part of the story was the owners condoned their behaviour. Myself and my sister have both resided in the UK for 6+ years in Devon and Manchester and have never encountered or experienced such rudeness. Even my niece was subjected to a yokel flicking her hair and headband in her face. So all in all if you want a nice evening I suggest fish and chips on the beach at budleigh salterton.

8 Thank Emily W
We are sorry to see the review from the Lady from New Zealand. I must say that she overheard a conversation between four Men at the bar and very wrongly took it as a reference to her,nothing more further from the truth as has been pointed out by the authorities to whom she made a complaint,she was also asked to remove it by the authority but so far has not done so.The person refered to as the owner was in fact bar staff, one owner was upstairs the other was cooking that evening.I have asked the group of three to visit our pub out of hours so they could meet us to put matters right, but they have declined our invitation so far.No one likes bad reviews but this one was very unjust.