“Sadly past it best”

and 1 more site!
The Long Range Hotel
Reviewed 1 December 2010

A beautiful hotel in a once beautiful quiet residential location but...Brochure out of date, states off road parking - yet only for 5 cars, has 8 bedrooms. Host also parks there. 1st night we had to park on the road, respecting driveways ended up 400 yards away - and I forgot something in the night. Hosts very nice couple, lady not well, so feel guilty complaining but we are well travelled doing my birth family research & meeting them these last 5 years - worst night sleep I ever had in a 'hotel' which only has guest house facilities but charged high hotel prices.
Poky standard double, had to tell each other when we wanted to move, had to roll across the bed when we had the case stand open, websites stated autumn breaks deals, there were none, and pleasant views of area or river Otter estuary, estuary is obliterated by houses, we had view of house across the street, they had a good view of us as there were no net curtains.
Headboard banged on the wall when we moved in bed, memory foam mattress on top of ordinary one, which moved in the night. Partner ended up hanging out of the bed while i was across the join of the mattresses, hurt my back, made up bed in the night. Was unable to get out of shower when partner was in bathroom, again very small and very like a cross channel ferry shower, unable to open wardrobe door if suitcase holder in use, stuffed 1 holdall in to wardrobe and 1 on the top of it. Hosts changed room at a high price. Gave us the disabled room, style of lighting and minimalistic design made me feel I was in hospital. 2 beds badly zipped together, lump in the middle, slipped every time I sat on it, good job we were not disabled, duvet too small, no blanket provided, green neon exit sign in room lit all night, had to drape towel over it, again if we opened the wardrobe door we could not be at the dressing table, or vice versa yet room was large - Ground floor room that everyone could see in to from outside, nice view of garden, guests had nice view of us again, wet room, everything got wet, no hooks in wet room or bedroom, flimsy plastic bedside lamps kept falling over, wash basin so small unable to get travel kettle under to make tea. Flimsy toiletry stand fell over if you put your toiletries in it, no soap holder in shower, Brochures states evening meal available, not so. No newspapers, bar locked with shutters down and a could be lovely lounge with light sturned off and uninviting. 'Hotel' had daily private functions, our room access was reached through the function room, Smelled of paint when we arrived. Bright and cheery breakfast room (which doubled as the function room) with Self service for cereals juices which were ample and toast your own bread too thick for toaster, which I set it on fire. Too thick even for the toast rack so I rammed the toast in it smothering the white cloths with crumbs, nice english breakfast, host says they had been there a long time but didn't know the area, or our last B&B in Budleigh which had closed. Never again.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank MarkMidland

Reviewed 13 August 2010

Having just enjoyed our third holiday at the Long Range, I was pleased to find that the standards are still high. The rooms are lovely and well maintained. Nothing is too much trouble - booking tickets for the local theatre, tables at restuarants etc. Thank you Brian and Lorraine for making our stay so enjoyable. We will be back!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 July 2010

I booked a single room at quite short notice. I was travelling alone for the first time and love Budleigh Salterton although I had never actually stayed at this hotel. I was really impressed at the welcome, the new decorations and great breakfast. In addition, I was upgraded to a double room at no extra cost which was a happy surprise!

The hotel was about 5-10 mins walk from the seafront, depending on your stride and is very well placed for walks in the lovely countryside. Budleigh has a lovely old-fashioned feel and I am always sorry to leave, particularly this time after my relaxing stay at the Long Range. Will definitely be back.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Elsiekay55
Reviewed 12 February 2010

We stayed for 10 days at the Long Range Hotel and it felt like being at home. Brian and Lorraine Drake were so warm and welcoming and couldn't do enough to help us have a wonderful time. It can sometimes be hard with a baby in a hotel but Brian and Lorraine were so helpful to make sure our all our needs for our 10 month old daughter were catered for.

The breakfast's were amazing, the best that I have ever had in an hotel and the room was spacious, modern and cosy,

It made for a fun and relaxing holiday and we have already booked to go back in the summer!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 June 2009

Excellent location, very clean and comfortable room.

Was made to feel very welcome from the moment i arrived and really enjoyed the breakfast!

Would recommend, will be back

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 May 2009

Room pleasant,Bed small with poor quality pillows.TV did'nt work because of going over to digital.Said mushrooms were field mushrooms,but they were normal mushrooms.Main gripe was the value for money.This is a B&B not like a hotel.Also the postcode took us no where near the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AvantGuard22
Reviewed 19 January 2009

We rarely comment on the excellent. The welcome received here at the Long Range can only be described as wonderful! Made to feel at home, and as if nothing is too much trouble.
Brian (the owner) radiates congeniality, though I never got to taste his 'Black Russian'.
All the food was clearly freshly prepared by Lorraine, who chooses to buy from local suppliers rather than from wholsalers.
It was a revelation and a delight.
My room was clean, bright and tastefully decorated.
Thanks both for making my stay so delightful!!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Budleigh Salterton
#1 of 11 in Exmouth
The Belmont Hotel
The Belmont Hotel
#2 of 13 in Sidmouth

Been to The Long Range Hotel? Share your experiences!