“Disappointed :-(”

The Crown at Bildeston
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Bildeston
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Stowmarket, England, United Kingdom
“Disappointed :-(”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

My boyfriend and I were expecting great things from the Crown but were sadly disappointed. Firstly I was surprised to see the place so empty, I was expecting the hustle and bustle of the bank holiday crowds. My first issue was when the starters arrived ( leek and potato soup -very tasty and nicely presented) on curved plates rather than soup bowls which resulted in a lot of faffing about and chasing soup around the plate and there were three small bread rolls between two (can't see the logic there although they were very nice). The staff then tried to serve us our main before clearing our starters. On the arrival of my main (roast beef) I was disgusted to see my cuts of beef were made up of 70% fat. There was so much that it put me off wanting to eat anything further so I didn't. I must say the staff were very professional in dealing with my complaint regarding the quality of the meal and I appreciated that they could understand why I was complaining. I won't be coming back for a Sunday Roast at the Crown as it's not worth the money paid. I think I'll stick to the White Horse (Hitcham) further up the road.

• Visited May 2014

Henley, United Kingdom
“Beautiful food but service still not up to par”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Our last visit to The Crown was not altogether successful service wise and we hoped that things would have improved now that the new management had bedded in as we love the food and the ambiance. The starters and main courses were beautifully presented and very tasty. All seemed to be going well until the desert when the the serving staff seemed to lose control of service. At one point the manager enquired if we were OK and when we told her that we had been waiting for our coffees for a while, she walked away without comment. Can I suggest that each waiter/waitress is responsible for a table/s to avoid this and if you are not prepared to do anything about a problem, please don't ask the question as it is very irritating.

London, United Kingdom
“Superb food, dreadful service”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

My wife and I had an absolutely stunning meal. The food was excellent, but sadly the service was the worst I have had for years.

Once seated we were ignored for over 10 minutes, but after getting the menus we were chased for our order after barely a couple of minutes. Asking for another minute to think got us another 10-minute wait.

When we were finally able to order, we gave our food order and were about to order the wine when the waiter abruptly cut us off saying he would be right back.

Another 10-minute wait...

We cancelled our coffee order after losing hope it would ever arrive.

In the middle of paying the bill, the same waiter that disappeared mid-order earlier shuffled off to speak to another table...

The food is so good that I would still recommend, but do not expect to be anything less than frustrated by the service.

London
“Very smart”
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We ate in The Classic section of restaurants, this is the bistro style of 3 restaurants available and it was very nice. Great modern decor. I chose the Shepherds pie which was really rich and delicious (£14) and with buttered spring greens on the side, yum! The restaurant also had hotel rooms attached and I would think this would be a very pleasant place to stay.

Lavenham, United Kingdom
“Terrific Food and Value for Money”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We ate at The Crown again this weekend and it was our fourth visit. The food is totally consistent and although you can opt for something special with the Tasting Menu we opted for the bar menu. The smoked haddock fishcake is a marvel and the Red Poll beef carpaccio was so pretty you hardly wanted to eat it. But it tasted divine. Mains were great too but the highlight was the Rhubard and Custard which included a rhubarb canelloni with a sugar crust canelloni filled with rhubarb ice cream, shavings of rhubarb and panacotta etc. Amazing to eat and easy on the eye. With drinks, wine and tips the price was £75.00 for two people. We reckon the best best clost to Lavenham.

• Visited March 2014