“Sheeeeesh!”

The Seafarer Guesthouse
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gosport
The Seafarer Guesthouse
Ranked #16 of 20 Gosport B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 March 2013

Seafarers, I stayed there on the evening oof the 26th Feb 13 in room 2(the boiler room), arrived late evening after a long drive from Essex so wanted a bite to eat and a good night sleep before an appointment the next day. There was such a strong smell of a plug in going up the stairs my eyes were bleeding by the time I reached mmy room on the first floor, the room was tired to be polite, the cleaner could do with a good kick up the harris to say the least, shower grout was minging, the hose leaked everywhere and needs replacing, use of 3 way plug adaptor which were outlawed abround ten years ago, dodgy light fitting in the room, bed was a 40 sprung mattress that went doing when you turned over and last but not least, you get to hear the gas boiler fire up every 12 minutes or so until around 2 in the morning unless I was so tired at this stage I fell asleep through exhaustion! Breakfast was mediocre and whan I saw the palace the owners lived in I thought how sad it was that they had gone into the hospitality trade, charged people to stay there in below average surroundings whilst living 5 star themselves.

It is just as easy to get it right as it is to get it wrong, look on line at the Domaine next door and see how modern heir rooms are, shame that there was no room at the Inn!

Will not be returning and would not recomend unless you are desperate.

Room Tip: Dont sleep in the Boiler room 2, stay somewhere else if you can, I have had a better night sleep on...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Macadabadoo
There are newer reviews for The Seafarer Guesthouse

Reviewed 28 October 2012

we have just enjoyed the weekend in the family room. great location, friendly service couldn't ask for more. We have had a fab time looking at loads of history, but enjoyed coming back to relax in a very comfortable and spaceous room x

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank kaybev18
Reviewed 4 July 2012

Went to see some friends in gosport so the seafarer was a great location for us. The room was a little tired but on the whole comfortable. The owner was very friendly and cooked a great breakfast for us!

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank carrieWakefield
Reviewed 30 July 2011

The owners seemed like nice people but unfortunately the two rooms our group stayed in were, well, horrible. The covers on the beds had quite a few "stains" on them (though the sheets seemed clean). The bedside lamps didn't work, one of the plugs of the lamps was cracked in half but had been inserted into the socket anyway (also cracked), the small strip lights over the sinks were cracked too. All of the beds wobbled around so much when you sat on them that they tended to lurch (almost like the pitching motion of a large ship) to the extent that you thought you were going to fall off. The towels looked like they should have been donated to an animal shelter and the showers were pretty random (no other word for it). They were in the corner of the room with glass doors (with minimal frosting) so that if we'd wanted a shower, the other person would have had to have averted ther gaze elsewhere... Also, to get out of the shower there was just carpet, which looked rather thread-bare. The carpet also had a lot of stains all over it. The people in the room next to us were smoking and it leached into our room and the locks on the doors of our rooms seemed flimsy to say the least. To be honest, it's one thing for items to be in disrepair in a room, but the place wasn't even clean. There was a lot of fluff, hair and "stainage" everywhere. The breakfast in the morning was nice though!!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Rarry81
Reviewed 16 May 2011

I was attending a friends 40th & 50th and booked this guest house for the location which was very close to everything you needed. My room was nice and clean, and the en-suite shower was perfect. The owners Ian and Carole were very pleasant and nothing was a bother to them. You could smell cigarette smoke as you entered the hallways but that didn't bother me in the slightest, and i am a non-smoker. The breakfast was excellent with a good choice of cereals to start, with a full cooked breakfast including toast to follow.Orange juice, Tea and Coffee were also included. I would stay here again with out a doubt.

Rob Ryan - Edinburgh

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank berniee50
Reviewed 27 February 2011

The first impression of this guesthouse wasn't what I was expecting - I was met with a hallway full of cigarette smoke, this happened the following morning also and the stairs were in darkness, but the following days the lights were on. My room was clean and the bedlinen was spotless, the towels could do with being replaced. The decor was a little dated, but as I said earlier clean. The only real downside of this room (room 1) was that I couldn't see out as the glass in the bedroom and obviously the shower room was frosted glass. The shower room was of an adequate size and warm. The bedroom was also lovely and warm.
The breakfast was plentiful with a large choice of cereal, juice, toast and a cooked breakfast and I was able to request more toast if needed. It was lovely to have a breakfast served to you without having grease on the plate! Again, the breakfast room was lovely and clean.
The owners were very pleasant and welcoming also.
The rate I was charged was really good at £35.00 for single occupancy of a double room. It would have been nice to have been able to sit on the bed and look out of the window, this would have made such a difference.
The Seafarer was conviently situated with respect to the family I was visiting.
Overall, good value for money.
I would recommend this hotel for a short break.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 October 2010

A good honest down to earth no airs and graces hotel. Our rooms have been spotless. On arival we were treated in a very friendly manner. After our first visit we felt like part of the family. Ideal for anyone with walking problems as there is a ground floor ensuite available. Now clocked up four visits in the last two months with more to come. Good value at £50 per night for the room and a very generous breakfasts. Walking distance to Thorngate Halls. 2 mins walk to the White Hart.(excellent menu and family area. 5 mins on bus to the ferry terminal. Can't think of anything negative.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends