“Filthy and Scammy”

Acorn Lodge B&B Gosport
Ranked #19 of 20 Gosport B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 August 2013

We booked this B&B by accident on the hottest weekend of the year while we were in Bournemouth spending the day at the beach. It was the closest available accommodation option so we just booked when saw it was available without realizing it was not in Bournemouth but in Portsmouth - We tried to cancel 5 minutes after that when we did realized and they said no way (fair enough, our mistake).

We drove there as it was still the closest option and when we got there they offered us to cancel the reservation and pay them directly so they'd avoid the fee from booking.com - When we said no they told us we had to pay extra because the room was listed as 2+1 (and according to them that was 2 adults + 1 kid, and we were 3). On top of that they charged us 15 extra to pay with credit card.

Besides the total scam the place was disgusting: carpet hadn't been properly vacuumed, dusty surfaces and dirty bathroom (we didn't shower there). DO NOT STAY THERE.

Room Tip: This is a NO GO - They should actually shut down the place (I'm reporting them to booking.com be...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank eduard0000000

Reviewed 30 July 2013

We ended up here out of desperation as we missed hhe ferry and it's no wonder to see why it was the only place left on any of the booking sites. How these sites have this b&b listed I do not not as it goes against the trade descriptions act!! It is not a b&b, it's more like a homeless shelter . Honestly I do question some people's standards who rate this place as it is smelly, shabby, unsafe ( we had a random extra door in our room which opened on the other side and someone tried to come in at 11pm!). I got bitten to bits by something and the 'en suite' was a cupboard in the room . There is no indication by the price either as it was £70 for the room. There were scratch marks on the outside of the door , missing tiles from the ceiling and exposed wiring. It's also in a pretty dodgy location and alarms were going off at 3am! It makes me angry, having worked in the hospitality industry myself, that some poor tourists might be lured here and think that this is typical of British standards . It is not!!!

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Katiedaily73
Reviewed 17 July 2013 via mobile

After reading many a terrible review for this B&B, I was quite skeptical when my boyfriend told me that he made bookings. So many people had been here before and there was just one bad review after another.
I'm not sure if loads of renovations were done prior to my arrival but none of the bad reviews held any weight. The staff was extremely polite and helpful, the beds were always made when I got back from being out in town and the room cleaned like I had just arrived. They even folded my boyfriend's clothes that he left thrown about the bed.
Yes, there are a few points in some of the reviews that turned out to be true like:
•no breakfast
---BUT the website clearly states that they do not provide breakfast and they also made it known that Morrison's does breakfast from 8am to 4pm everyday. It's very affordable and they even provide for toddlers and babies.
•smelly upon entry
---can't argue with that actually...it was a little smelly but not so over bearing that I needed to sleep in my car. I'm gonna make a suggestion about air fresheners though.
•garden unkept
---garden is being fixed. Pretty barren but I didn't get a booking to look at the garden so I can't say much about it.
I think people were being a bit too critical about this B&B. I understand that one of the B's in the B&B is missing but is that really grounds to call everything about the place bad? I had no problem here.

I think this B&B is value for money if you want somewhere cheap, clean and close to the town (and ferry!).
I hope others do like me and check the place out before believing half the crap that's written on the net.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Adali B
Reviewed 3 July 2013

I give this B&B two stars because you get a bed, a shower and a room that has been cleaned! When we arrived and entered the building the smell that greeted us was not the freshest! It took the single member of staff a whole hour to try to put the payment through. On asking what time breakfast was I was told that they don't do breakfast but there was a kitchen if I wanted to buy and prepare my own! You don't get much sleep because of people walking in the narrow corridors and doors opening and closing. Both my husband and I were being bitten all night by some critters! This B&B advertises itself as five star but is in fact two star. At £75.00 a room booked through 'late rooms.com', it is actually cheaper to book directly as they were offering rooms for £40.00 when we were there. Very poor service and misrepresentation if you don't get any breakfast in a B&B.

Room Tip: Just don't go there!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank 329AudreyP
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Family room 1 double and singel en-suite,room were clean,location 10min walk from the hotel to the town centre and ferry,i will stay again and recommend to others.o dont know why people are been so rude and mean,come and see for yourself,at the moment i am in the hotel writting my review,cheap and great deal.Hussein and family.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank hussein77
Reviewed 12 May 2013

I stayed for 1 night on business due to no availability elsewhere nearby. I checked in late at night and met the couple who ran the place who were very nice.

The building was previously a care home and still has a sign outside, which is taped over, stating as such. My room had the alarms for patients to call for help. There were some directions, but I did get lost when trying to leave the building in the morning.

The room was clean and tidy with tv, tea, coffee and en suite.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 April 2013

Seriously, this is the worst excuse of a B+B ever, I have never stayed anywhere as bad as this. Our (me and two co-workers) stay was work related so I could of put up with it if it was cheaper but at £140 for 2 nights it wasn't cheap at all! The moment we checked in at the reception/bedroom/laundry/ironing room our Asian hosts weren't very helpful, and kept talking in their language to each other while we were standing waiting, which is one of my pet hates. While we were waiting in the dingy reception room to be checked in, the ironing board was up and they were doing ironing!!! I went to reception later to complain about the poor wifi and the women was on a makeshift bed on the floor sleeping!
All in all, it smells of urine, the bed sheets were stained, it's too expensive, it's a B+B what doesn't do breakfasts,the heaters were on in our room and we couldn't turn them off so it was like living in a foisty sauna for two nights!!!
ROTTEN HOLE