“Busy pub/restaurant with good food”
Review of The Sailmaker Pub

The Sailmaker Pub
Ranked #115 of 178 Restaurants in Gosport
Cuisines: British, Pub, Gastropub, Brew Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Marstons Sailmaker in Gosport offers a 7 day carvery along with an extensive Bar and Grill menu. With free WIFI, an indoor and outdoor kids play area and plenty of free parking this is a prime location for a family meal or quick bite to eat.With a wide selection of wines, spirits and cask ales available and a spacious garden and covered patio area - We look forward to being your first choice when deciding where to dine. We have a Quiz Night on Thursday Evening from 9pm. We serve Breakfast from Mon - Fri 7am till 10:30am Sat & Sun 8am till 10:30am
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Bit disappointed that there was no instruction telling you that you need to order the food at the bar. That in itself is an adventure, as there is not enough staff to take the orders and they don't tell you that there is only one till that takes the orders it really does get annoying after you have queued to be told you have to go elsewhere to order. The food itself is typical pub grub not brilliant but not bad either. To be honest was happy to finish my food and get back to my hotel room as it was just too busy and noisy for me, but that is personal taste and not a dig at The Sailmaker. Maybe a second visit will get me writing a better review as I now know the routine!

Sailmaker G, Manager at The Sailmaker Pub, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Hi,

Thank you for your recent feedback on your visit to our restaurant and apologies that on this occasion your expectations were not met.
If you wish to forward your contact details onto myself at sailmaker.gosport@marstons.co.uk I would be more than happy to look into the issues and discuss your feedback.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Myself and my family came here for the first time on Sunday for a carvery.

It was very busy but we did manage to find a table straight away, although it was very dirty and we couldn't find anyone to clean it, so gave it a wipe with a napkin ourselves.

We all had the carvery, the meat was plentiful but the gammon was rubbish, I couldn't even cut it so gave up. The beef, turkey and pork was lovely though. The potatoes were rock hard and had no taste. I try to avoid wheat so didn't have stuffing or Yorkshire, although the Yorkshires looked quite good. I cook a better roast dinner at home so will stick to that in future.

The restaurant was very busy though so they must be doing something right, although judging by the clientele it seems my standards are much higher than most people.

They have a nice outside seating area and is well geared up for families, just not mine.

This is just my opinion so make your own mind up. We wont be returning though.

Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

On the whole the staff were helpful & friendly & the food was tasty but when only my starter turned up & know one came to ask if everything was OK i had to ask where my mrs starter was only to be told it had been moved to the main meal. By the time this was sorted & her srarter arrived i had finished mine & our main meal arrived 2 minutes later so she never got the chance to finish it. We wanted to eat our starters together but did'nt get the chance. When i mentioned this no one seemed much bothered. Although this is a 1st & wont affect us using the Sailmaker i think it's something they need to get sorted out.

3  Thank Jason H

Reviewed 24 June 2014

It was my first visit to the Sailmaker, my wife and i chose the carvery, i found the stuffing to be rock hard and the potatoes were disgusting the worst roast potatoes i have ever had, on the other hand the meat was lovely and so was the veg.The hobgoblin i had was cloudy ,like a fool i drank it and am paying the consequences today.
The staff were friendly and the layout of the pub was comfortable, i will go again but i won't be having the carvery, basically you get what you pay for.

2  Thank Duane C

Reviewed 23 June 2014

This new restaurant is set next to the Gosport Ice Skating Rink and gets lots of customers from there. Obviously the food is very good and the Carvery is excellent. Spent a very pleasant evening following an Ice Skating Show with a group of friends.
Service is fast and efficient considering how busy the restaurant gets.
Downside is that they do not accept bookings so sometimes its not possible to get a table.